Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am reading "The United States and Vietnam 1787-1941" by Robert Miller. This is a really fascinating book so far about the diplomacy of the early relationships between the US and the players involved in Vietnam. The book includes the complete text of many of the important documents associated with this, so you get to read them directly instead of someone else's interpretation.

One of the most interesting elements of the book is the difference in outlook between the USA and the European powers over Asia in general at the time. Everyone was interested in protecting and promoting their commercial interests, however, the Americans were attempting to do this through agreements and treaties alone, where the Europeans were attempting to do it through colonization, and the establishment of bases, fortifications, settlements, and armed force.

An interesting scholarly read thus far.......

Comment

• Currently reading 'Bantams' by Sidney Allinson. During the first world war the minimum height for soldiers was 5' 3". As the need for men increased special 'bantam' battalions were created for men between 5' and 5' 3". After the war they were never officially recognised. A very interesting look at life in the trenches.
      Wolster

Comment

• Lies My Teacher Told Me
        Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
        By James W. Loewen

Dirty Little Secrets of World War II
        Military Information No One Told You About the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History
        By James F. Dunnigan & Albert A. Nofi

How Hitler Could Have Won World War II
        The Fatal Errors That Led To The Nazi Defeat
        By Bevin Alexander

My Tank Is Fight
        Deranged Invasions Of World War II
        By Zack Parson

Comment

• How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove.
          Hitler played Golf. His bunker shot was a hole in one.

Comment

• I'm currently working my way through the Navy's reading list ( http://www.navyreading.navy.mil/ ). Right now I'm reading Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, a Naval Academy graduate, and up next is The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman.
            To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
            -Werner Pluskat

Comment

• In The Ruins of Empire by Ronald Spector About immediate post WW2 Asia. fascinating, with recently released information. I found the postwar fiasco in Indonesia really bizarre.
              I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• "Rommel and His Art of War" is my current reading. It's a Rommel thoughts' collection edited by Dr John Pimlott.
                Historia Magistra Vitae.
                M. T. Cicero

Comment

• "Downfall:The End Of The Imperial Japanese Empire" Richard B. Frank. Outstanding so far.
                  "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• All my reading lately has been work related. Looking forward to sitting down to This Terrible Sound, the Battle of Chickamauga by Peter Cozzens.
                    I would define true courage to be a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.
                    --William T. Sherman

Comment

• Just started today on D. Dinis by José Augusto Sottomayor Pizarro.
                      All warfare is based on deception.
                      Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• Reading:

The book deals with the biggest battle of the Vietnam War yet one of the less studied by historians as it was fought mainly between the North and South Vietnamese, a great read so far
                        Last edited by Boonierat; 07 Sep 07, 02:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                          Reading:

The books deals with the biggest battle of the Vietnam War yet one of the less studied by historians as it was fought mainly between the North and South Vietnamese, a great read so far
                          A battle that South Vietnam actually won - with US airpower's help. The defeat of the Easter Offensive was not only an important victory for the south and defeat for the north, but almost universally ignored. For most left-wingers, the Vietnam War seemed to have ended in 1968 with the Tet Offensive, in defeat for the US and South Vietnam.

Comment

• Crimea by Trevor Royle.

It's about the Crimean War and it's pretty good so far.

Comment

• Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" for the second time in ten years. Also Jeff Sharra's "A Glorious Cause" Bothe excellent novels. One a fictional book about NATO vs. Warsaw Pact. A realistic set of events for back in the 1980's. "Glorious Cause" in the style of "Killer Angels" this book brings all the dry facts and events of the Revolutions and turns it into a great historic novel.

Comment

• First Edition from 1976

I just read "Born on the Fourth of July." Twice. My hair is still clenched. Damn, I wish I read it before I saw the movie....

"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X