This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
    Know of any good book written by south vietnamese authors available in english about ARVN battle and operations .
    I am home now and can look into this question some more. A few more titles for you, although some may be hard to find. The texts for some of these are available online at the Virtual Vietnam Archive of the Vietnam Project at Texas Tech University:

http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/

The General Offensives of 1968-69.
    by Col. Hoang Ngoc Lung (online)

The Viet Cong Offensive 1968
    by LTC. LE VAN DUONG (online)

Leadership by Gen. Cao Van Vien (online)

The Armed Forces of the Republic of Viet Nam by Nguyen Ngoc Linh

Counterpart: A South Vietnamese Naval Officer's War by Kiem Do and Julie Kane (Amazon)

Major General Nguyen Van Hieu, ARVN
    by Tin Nguyen (Amazon)

History of the Vietnamese Marine Corps, Army of the Republic of Vietnam
    by Tran Xuan Dung (Written in both English and VN)

There is a lot of stuff written by VN officers that was published in "Military Review" back then. Some in French Maybe some of this is available online at the Magazine website. I have not checked.

In fact, I would think you should be able to find some stuff written in French, as most of the officers spoke French and some ended up in exile in France. My Grandmother speaks French

I will keep looking

M. S.

Comment

• Thanks for the pointers Miss, the Texas Tech Archives never cease to amaze me

Comment

• While checking on Amazon I found this book to be published in December 2007, might be worth getting it:

Comment

• I just read "The last true story I'll ever tell", by John Crawford.

It's about his Florida national guard unit's overextended time at the beginning of the war in Iraq, short stories, without judging. One sees through the cracks of the shattered stories, how the never a clean CNN image war, starts slowly decend into a more horrible hellish insurency. A good read, and a sad one too... You really start to wonder what happened to certain people, usually the Iraqi people who this young man befriended, despite taking pot shots from drunken Iraqis every now and again...
          "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
            While checking on Amazon I found this book to be published in December 2007, might be worth getting it:

Oh yes, this looks like it could be a good one. I put it on the wish list. I think it is going to be a lot better than the Robert Brigham book

Comment

• Over the past month or so...

I've read...

The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright

A very revealing history of Islamofascism and the genesis of al-Qaeda.

My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story by Nathaniel R. Helms

A gut wrenching story of a true American hero.

I'm almost done reading...

New Glory: Expanding America's Global Supremacy by Ralph Peters

A fascinating book that is really impossible to describe in a sound byte.

Next up...

From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava by Jay Kopelman and Melinda Roth

I already peeked at the ending...I'll still need to keep a box of Kleenex handy.

...Or...

Sabotage: America's Enemies Within the CIA by Rowan Scarborough

"How Bush-hating CIA Bureaucrats Are Sabotaging the War on Terror"...There's a whole chapter devoted to the Plame-Wilson Gang!
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Currently reading:

Strategy by B.H. Lidell Hart
                Crusade by Rick Atkinson

I just started on Crusade last night. It reads pretty well. Schwarzkopf is sounding like a major d*ck, Patton's ideal version of a general.
                "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Kommando: German Special Forces of World War Two
                  by James Lucas

I'm really enjoying this book, I glanced at it about 5 years ago looking for unit names to add flavor to my Panzer General campaign. Good pictures too, and combo of technical info and action-stroytelling.
                  "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Rites of Peace: The Fall of Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna by Adam Zamoyski

Excellent, excellent book by a well respected historian. It is a fascinating look into European politics in the final days of Napoleon and the peace that was established at the Congress of Vienna.
                    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

• Leaders and Intelligence - Michael I Handel (ed.).

Lord of the Rings

Comment

• Norske Løve by Bjarne Åkesson Filholm
                        The ship Norske Løve owned by the Danish East Indian Company left Copenhagen on 4 December 1707 bound for the Trankebar, a Danish trade station in India. But around Christmas 1707 she was badly damaged in a North Atlantic storm and on 31 December she ran aground on the Faroes. In this book the story of Norske Løve is told.
                        When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
                        Jimi Hendrix

Comment

• Currently reading an old book on good driving; have a lot of other books that I would like to read right now (Liddlel Hart's book on the Red Army WWII, Serge Trifkovic's DEFEATING JIHAD, and a few others, but not enough time and with school and a job starting soon I won't get them done in the near future).

Comment

• Well I'm starting a course on literature of the English Restoration. So military history is being put away for three months and nothing but Walpole and Dryden for me. or depending on how you look at it.
                            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• I'm currently reading "Guadalcanal" by Richard Frank. I bought it a long time ago, but never finished it, I got interested in it again after reading a thread on the forum. It's awesome. Same thing happened with Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor, I started it and it didn't hook me, went back a couple of years later and couldn't put it down. You never know.
                              "Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton

Comment

• Lone Survivor
                                I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X