Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently reading Masters of the Air by Donald L. Miller. Tells the story of American bombers over Germany during WWII. Good read so far.

Comment

• Not so much reading as a newly acquired reference book that if you are in a bigger city you may want to look for at your public library:

"Naval Institute Guide to COMBAT FLEETS OF THE WORLD, 15th Edition
      Their Ships, Aircraft, and Systems "
      By Eric Wertheim

Name pretty much covers it. This book provided a write up on every fleet in the world and all ships by class as well as every combat related system from aircraft to radar, sonar, radios, etc. Covers literally everything that is serving a a Navy or Coast Guard type fleet in every country in the world.
      Boston Strong!

Comment

• The history of warfare by John Keegan Excelant book 4 stars in my opinion.

Comment

• I'm now on Afonso III (5th portuguese king, only 28 more to go) by Leontina Ventura.
          All warfare is based on deception.
          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• Book Reading Now

Hi:

"Kharkov, 1942 Anatomy of a Military Disaster", David Glantz
            "The Beginning of the Road", Marshal V. I. Chuikov
            "Good Shepherd", C.S. Forester
            "Atlas of Operation Blau [Blue]: The German Advance to Stalingrad, 28 June-18 October 1942", David Glantz

I can't seem to read one book at a time.

Regards,

John
            Stranger! To Sparta say, her faithful band,
            Here lie in death, remembering her command.

www.wwii-photos-maps.com

Comment

• "America's Victories: Why the U.S. Wins Wars and Will Win the War on Terror" by Larry Schweikart

The title pretty much says it all.

Comment

• The World War series by Harry Turtledove.

Comment

• Currently reading:

Infantry in Battle

Anyone know of any other books similar to this, perhaps covering mechanized or combined arms engagements?
                  "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Comment

• I broke down and bought A Bridge too Far by Cornelius Ryan because of the raves here. Not bad so far. Seems like I found where Ambrose got his writing style from.

Comment

• "Burma: The Longest War 1941-45" by Louis Allen

Just finished "The New Cold War" by Mark MacKinnon
                        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• My Gift To You by Jerald W. Berry

This book tells the story of the 3d Battalion, 506th Infantry nicknamed the stand-alone battalion because although part of the 101st Airborne Division it served most of its Vietnam deployement detached to various other commands (TF South, 4th Infantry Division, 173d Airborne Brigade...). What makes this book aparts is that the narrative, written by a veteran, is interspersed with the biographies of the 152 curahees who died while serving with the 3-506.
                          Last edited by Boonierat; 30 Jul 07, 09:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boonierat View Post

This book tells the story of the 3d Battalion, 506th Infantry nicknamed the stand-alone battalion because although part of the 101st Airborne Division it served most of its Vietnam deployement detached to various other commands
                            Woooo. I had not heard of this one Boonie. Thanks. I will put it on my wish list.

M.S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                              Woooo. I had not heard of this one Boonie. Thanks. I will put it on my wish list.

M.S.
                              Know of any good book written by south vietnamese authors available in english about ARVN battle and operations Miss? Would love to find a book telling in details the history of the RVNAF but there isn't any I know of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                                Know of any good book written by south vietnamese authors available in english about ARVN battle and operations Miss? Would love to find a book telling in details the history of the RVNAF but there isn't any I know of.
                                I am not at home right now so it is hard for me to be detailed, but I will get started with a couple of titles.

There is a book on the Air Force called "Flying Dragons". I posted a pic of the cover of it on the favorite VN war Air plane thread. It is kind of pricey so it I have not bought it yet. It is on my wish list waiting for a good price used to come along.

I have read "The 25 year century" By General Quang Thi Lam. He describes some of his operations. I have read this one and it was very interesting.

There is one called "The final collapse. I forget by whom.

General Tran Van Don wrote a book called "Our Endless War". I have it but have not read it yet. I have heard some call into question some of his credibility.

You are correct. There is a shortage of good VN authored titles on the war in English.

When I get home I will check my library and see what else I can find that I don't recall now.

M.S.
                                Last edited by Miss Saigon; 31 Jul 07, 12:06.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X