Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished 'Blossoms In The Wind...The Human Legacy Of The Kamikaze'.
    Written by an M.G. Sheftall, an American expat in Japan. Excellent and informative and in some places very moving too. Gives an insightful look into the Japanese wartime psyche that was quite different to what I had been taught. I knew about the aircraft and piloted bomb programs but I never knew about Japanese piloted torpedo projects. Several so called 'Kaiten' torpedos were used to great effect...when I say several I mean less than half a dozen. I also didn't know that the whole idea of suicide attacks by the Japanese actually killed far more Japanese than Allied personnel. 6,310 to be exact.
    There are accounts by conventional aircraft pilots, 'Kaiten' pilots and the most interesting to me, 'Oka' piloted rocket bomb pilots. So called 'Bakka' (stupid) bombs by the Americans. Only one ship was sunk by this weapon but the ship was practically blown into molecules by over a ton and a half of TNT at around 700 kph. Impressive, although many pilots were killed in training accidents.
    After the 'Marianas Turkey Shoot' the Japanese had to rely on inferior aviation fuel that resulted in many pilots slated for suicide sorties having to turn back due to engine problems or mechanical issues of other kinds...hence the survivors.
    This is the first book I've ever read about the Pacific War in WW2. My interest has mainly been of the European War.
    8/10 from me.
    The truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!
    Sideshow Bob.

Comment

• Tommy, The British Soldier on the Western Front by Richard Holmes. This is the last of his trilogy, the first being Redcoat, the second Sahib. I heard the author discuss Sahib on a podcast...thought it was The National Archives podcast and he was quite fascinating.
      I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Sancho II by Hermenegildo Fernandes. It's the biography of the 4th king of Portugal. Unfortunatly he wasn't that good of a commander. His brother will be a lot better. His biography is next on my to read list. 3 down 30 to go!!!
        All warfare is based on deception.
        Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• Blood Trails: The Combat Diary of a Foot Soldier in Vietnam
          by Christopher Ronnau

Comment

• Almost finished with Beyond Band of Brothers by Dick Winters.

Comment

• Rereading Low Level Hell by Hugh Mills.

Comment

• Just bought Swords around a Throne: Napoleon's Grande Army

by John R. Elting.

He has a quirky style of writing that is somewhat engaging all the same!

Considered a classic on the subject I saw it going in town for Ä11.99 so it was too good to miss.

I don't know if I will read it cover to cover but it's a great book to potter around in so far anyway - full of interesting info on different aspects of the Grande Army.

http://www.amazon.com/Swords-Around-...3902084&sr=1-1
                http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                  Rereading Low Level Hell by Hugh Mills.
                  This one is in my library but I haven't read it yet. Do you like it?

M.S.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Cooler King View Post
                    Almost finished with Beyond Band of Brothers by Dick Winters.
                    I heard part of this on audio book while riding with a history buff. World War II not being my war. One thing struck me though, when Winters said that the real band of brothers would always be the original ones who trained together. The replacements may have been good soldiers but they didn't count. I felt sorry for the replacements.

M.S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                      I heard part of this on audio book while riding with a history buff. World War II not being my war. One thing struck me though, when Winters said that the real band of brothers would always be the original ones who trained together. The replacements may have been good soldiers but they didn't count. I felt sorry for the replacements.

M.S.
                      I remember Winters saying that even at the reunions, all the original "Toccoa Men" sit at a seperate table. I wound think that the bonds formed under fire would be stronger than the ones formed during training. But hey, what do I know. I've never been in combat.

Comment

• I just started "War of the Runnung Dogs" by Noel Barber. This is about the Malaya insurgency that the British successfully put down. I am reading this as part of my regional approach to studying Vietnam.

Comment

• I love the book! Mine is starting to fall apart though so I'm keeping my eye out for a new edition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                            I love the book! Mine is starting to fall apart though so I'm keeping my eye out for a new edition.
                            Thanks. I will bump it up the reading list a bit.

M.S.

Comment

• I'm almost done with "Bury Us Upside Down." My first Air Force book read, and third Vietnam book read. It's about Top Secret Fighter-Bomber Jocks on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Needless to say, it's blowing my hair back. Book Review coming soon!

Last edited by Paul Mann III; 13 Jul 07, 11:40.
                              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by P.V. Mann III View Post
                                I'm almost done with "Bury Us Upside Down." My first Air Force book read, and third Vietnam book read. It's about Top Secret Fighter-Bomber Jocks on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Needless to say, it's blowing my hair back. Book Review coming soon!

I just bought this one at a used book store. I will be looking forward to your review.

M.S.

Comment

Working...
                                X