Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Scout32 Hitler's U-Boat War:The Hunted 1942-1945 by Clay Blair[/QUOTE]

I've got that one on my list, but at the moment am reading 'From Normandy to the Ruhr' with the 116th Panzer Division in WW2.

Comment

• Originally posted by 17poundr View Post
      Guns up! I have read, and it's a fast reader, about one marine's tour as a heavy mg' man in his squad, during the intence patrolling by the Marines just after the Tet offencive, miraculously, he gets out unhurt, almost the only one...

A good read, short, no bs, just the story from a young man's aspect. It showed also how marines were almost wastefully pushed right into Charlie territory, in small patrols, into the jungle, I mean, they put themselves right where all the strenght's of the US armed forces were negated, and these firefights are so fast that there is no question of air support! Strange... OK book thought, if we are talking of the same book that is....

Mr Poundr.
      Thanks for the review.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger1 View Post
        'From Normandy to the Ruhr' with the 116th Panzer Division in WW2.
        Got a copy of that on my shelf and in the queue for sometime this Summer. Please let us know what you think of it.

Currently reading... Holding Juno: Canada's by Mark Zuehlke and rereading his Juno Beach.
        Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
        Normandy 2007
        ACW Border Wars 2008
        Bulge 2008

Comment

• Almost finished "Cinderella Army; The Canadians in North-West Europe 1944-1945" by Terry Copp.

A great all around overview of Canadian operations in Europe.
          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• N G. Koslow: "Am Himmel über China 1937-1940". Another "Flying Tigers" biography? Not really. I bought this book because I got curious about its subject. Soviet pilots, with full support by their government, flying alongside all kind of mercenaries, for a regime which afterwards could be described as capitalistic - Chiang-Kai-Check's. I didn't know about that.

Printed in the DDR in the late seventies it is full of sidekicks to the leader they fought for and their American "comrades" which did it for the money. It seemed their I-15's and I-16's were quite able to hold its own against their Japanese contemporaries.
            Saving MacArthur - a book series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_rw_dp_labf
            River Wide, Ocean Deep - Operation Sealion - https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...owViewpoints=1

Comment

• Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
              Almost finished "Cinderella Army; The Canadians in North-West Europe 1944-1945" by Terry Copp.

A great all around overview of Canadian operations in Europe.
              Tiger,
              what do you think of the book???? Recent reading on Canadian involvement in NW Europe has me hooked. Am going to have to start in on Italy soon as we will be touring there in '08 or '09
              Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
              ACW Border Wars 2008
              Bulge 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by traygreen View Post
                Tiger,
                what do you think of the book???? Recent reading on Canadian involvement in NW Europe has me hooked. Am going to have to start in on Italy soon as we will be touring there in '08 or '09

There are a lot of recent works released about the various Canadian Campaigns in WW II.

Mark Zuelke, Terry Copp and Denis Whittaker rank among the very top in their field and Copp continues his record with "Cinderella Army".

Back a few years Copp and another author (can't remember the name right now) published "The Maple Leaf Route". A series of books briefly describing the Canadian experience in WW II Europe; replete with an embarassing riches of pictures.
                "Cinderella Army" pulls all of these books together to recount the entire North-West Europe Campaign from the Canadian point of view, minus the pictures. It's not a direct copy of the Maple Leaf Route books by any means, but very similar in scope.

Copp in this book continues his (successfull IMO) campaign to prove that Canadian soldiers performed as well as, and better than, many of their Allies.

If you want a a good overview of the entire Canadian Campaign in North-west Europe, you can't do much better than "Cinderella Army".
                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• Thanks Tiger,
                  Been really enjoying Zuelke and have been looking around for a bit more. Got Cinderella's Army on order now as the Maple Leaf Route looks to be a bit hard to find here in the States (so far have seen one vol on Amazon - need to check ebay and alibris this afternoon).
                  Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                  ACW Border Wars 2008
                  Bulge 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by traygreen View Post
                    Thanks Tiger,
                    Been really enjoying Zuelke and have been looking around for a bit more. Got Cinderella's Army on order now as the Maple Leaf Route looks to be a bit hard to find here in the States (so far have seen one vol on Amazon - need to check ebay and alibris this afternoon).

Here is a link to one of Terry Copp's finer works:

http://www.utppublishing.com/pubstor...id=7852&step=4

Copp relies a lot on 21st AG Operational Research Section reports and has interviewed most of the scientists that were part of that unit.

Comment

• I'm reading this again, it's just that good.

"This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• panzer battles
                        어떻게 지내십니까?

Comment

• I finished Guns Up! a while ago. Excellent book. Now I'm working on Ripcord: Screaming Eagles Under Siege. I just picked up two more books at Barnes and Noble this weekend: With the Old Breed and The Filthy Thirteen. I also have a couple of other books here that need to be read. Flyboys, The Rise and Fall of an American Army, and Pork Chop Hill. Plenty to read.

Comment

• I'm close to half way through Alamo in the Ardennes by John C. McManus. Very good account of the desperate actions of lesser known units in the days before Bastogne, such as the 28th Infantry Division and elements of the 9th and 10th Armored Divisions.

Next up: Adrian Goldsworthy's mammoth biography Caesar. I've read other books by Mr. Goldsworthy (such as In the Name of Rome and The Complete Roman Army) and am looking forward to it. I'll let you know MO when I finish...eventually.
                            All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

• Just finished Noel Barber's "Sinister Twilight: The Fall of Singapore". I cannot remember the last time I was so shocked by military incompetence.

rna
                              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• A little break from Normandy again this week - reading Achtung-Panzer!
                                Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                                ACW Border Wars 2008
                                Bulge 2008

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X