Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished up Behind Hitler's Lines, the true story of the only man to fight for both the United States and the Soviet Union during WWII: Joseph Beyrle. I got a whole pile of books here that need to be read and I'm not sure which one I should read. Most likely either Guns Up! by Johnnie Clark or The Rise and Fall of an American Army by Shelby Stanton.

Comment

• Currently it's "Victory at Falaise" by Denis Whitaker

Next on the list is the old classic "Miracle at Midway" by Gordon W Prange.
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• Gods and Generals for me.
        History of War Podcast

Episode 1: Why Study Military History?

Comment

• Originally posted by leandros View Post
          That is fantastic book...?.......and the other peacekeepers....
          To all peacekeepers...
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• I just picked up a couple of books that looked so good, Iím reading both of them.

Guests of the Ayatollah: The Iran Hostage Crisis, The First Battle in America's War With Militant Islam by Mark Bowden...I'm a couple of chapters in to this history of the 1979-1980 hostage crisis...It's every bit a page-turner as Blackhawk Down was.

Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team by Michael Smith...Another page-turner. It's kind of misnamed though. It is about a clandestine SOF outfit called the Intelligence Support Activity...The ISA does have its own "shooters"...but they're mostly involved in SigInt and HumInt. This group was formed during the Iran hostage crisis because the Pentagon was unhappy with the lack of cooperation from the CIA. The ISA specialize in gathering intelligence for US Special Operations Command. The book covers the unit from its inception in 1980 to the present.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Finishing up the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell (two more books to go).

And I'm rereading Shelby Foote's Civil War: A Narrative. (Just started volume 3.)
              --Patrick Carroll

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)

Comment

• Reread Peter Cozzen's "No Better Place to Die" today. Am currently on the 3rd book of the Ultramarines saga. Think I will hit another WWII book next.....I still have the Jeff Shaara WWII novel to read.
                The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

• Getting ready to read "The Forgotten Soldier" Guy Sajer.
                  The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Brigade View Post
                    Gods and Generals for me.
                    You already do The Killer Angels? It provides the bulk of the script for the Gettysburg movie, I think that's where Kilraine, the Sergeant, comes from as well...
                    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• I'm currently reading the Timeline 191 by Harry Turtledove
                      "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                      "

Comment

• Just finished reading:

Gonna start the 800 pages of :

Comment

• I'm now actually reading the Aeroplane 'history in the air' magazines april 2007 issue, why? Because the cover has a big do about it being the Falklands 25th year issue. It has extra pages, and indeed so far has had pretty interesting falkland info, although the plane that is featured in the mid spread, is the Avro vulcan, this plane played a small part in the Falklands war, and was much more relevant to say the Cuban missile Crisis...

Anyway, this has got my eyes on one of the multitude of books I have but havent read yet. And that is : SEA HARRIER OVER FALKLANDS by: commander 'sharkey' Ward. from Cassell millitary classics.

It's supposed to be THE book on the Falkands air war from the British aspect, well from the RN Harriers at least, after all the Harriers got to a 25 to zero kill ratio in their favour, and that is somethign, considering the Argentinian airforce had much more Mirages, and Israeli made Mirage versions, which were supersonic, and had friendly land bases, so in theory, the Harriers were greatly outnumbered. But, alas, the plane is good when flown by well trained pilot's and these guys were some of NATO's best, also the new generation of Sidewinder helped, accuisition was made by mark one eyeball...

I just read about 'sharkey' Wards kill (one of three I belive), in the magazine, spectacular stuff, as I would say that so far the Falkands war was the last one to have true visual range air to air kills, with not only the phrase (which is true), that it was the coming of age of the air to air missiles, as the Sidewinder finally proved it's worth, but there were downings by traditional gunning also!

Yep, perhaps the next visual range air to air kills will be between drones!
                          Last edited by 17poundr; 04 May 07, 23:07.
                          "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by The Cooler King View Post
                            Just finished up Behind Hitler's Lines, the true story of the only man to fight for both the United States and the Soviet Union during WWII: Joseph Beyrle. I got a whole pile of books here that need to be read and I'm not sure which one I should read. Most likely either Guns Up! by Johnnie Clark or The Rise and Fall of an American Army by Shelby Stanton.
                            Guns up! I have read, and it's a fast reader, about one marine's tour as a heavy mg' man in his squad, during the intence patrolling by the Marines just after the Tet offencive, miraculously, he gets out unhurt, almost the only one...

A good read, short, no bs, just the story from a young man's aspect. It showed also how marines were almost wastefully pushed right into Charlie territory, in small patrols, into the jungle, I mean, they put themselves right where all the strenght's of the US armed forces were negated, and these firefights are so fast that there is no question of air support! Strange... OK book thought, if we are talking of the same book that is....

Mr Poundr.
                            "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• right now im reading "NEVER QUIT THE FIGHT" by ralph peters
                              and i will read after this "IN THE COMPANY OF SOLDIERS"
                              어떻게 지내십니까?

Comment

• right now:The Utility of Force by Gen. Rupert Smith
                                Next:Hitler's U-Boat War:The Hunted 1942-1945 by Clay Blair
                                If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X