This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• The Templars by Piers Paul Read.

I'm not very far into it. It seems like a general overview starting off with a whirlwind tour of the bible. Good for someone like me with no knowledge of the Templars yet.
      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Just finished Band of Brothers (for a 2nd time) and Biggest Brother. Now I am starting Beyond Band of Brothers (By Maj. Dick Winters).
        Loyal Member (unless a higher bidder comes along anyway) of 5th Armchair General Battalion (5 ACG) of S. INC

Comment

• "The Shattered Sword: The Untold Sto0ry of the Battle of Midway" by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully

The first detailed operational study based on source records of the Battle of Midway from the Japanese side. I have read many books on Midway but this is an absolute must read for anyone interested in the Pacific Theater in WWII. Nearly all other English language histories of Midway have suffered from two problems. First Fucida's English language memoirs as gospel which this book shows to be extremely erroneous in many details. Also many authors have assumed that Japanese carrier operations and doctrine were largely the same as US carrier operations which is not true. This is not for the casual reader looking for a good yarn. It is a detail explanation of everything from Japanese naval architecture to air operations doctrine. It makes heavy use of the operational logs of the air groups involved in the battle as well as what remains of ship records and many letters, memoirs and reports of those personel who survived. One of the best WWII Naval studies ai have ever read.
          Boston Strong!

Comment

• War of the Flea, by Robert Taber

Old book -- 1970 -- about Marxist revolution. Much of author's radical analysis rendered null and void by the fall of USSR in 1989 and its far-reaching effects on Marxist revolutions, especially those in Latin America. Interesting perspective on leftist thinking common to the 1960s and 1970s. Not that great, despite its rep as a seminal work, on guerrilla warfare itself.

Comment

• I picked up a couple of semilal books from my brief visit to Britan this Christmas, but as I havent read then yet, I'll wait until i get my teeth into them, to give you a taste.

Meanwhile tough, I got the latest copy of : AIRFORCES MONTHLY magazine. And, It is veery good!!!

It's most interesting multi page article is about the intence air support campaign coing on in southern Afghanistan, It seems that RAF Harriers and USAF B-1s are the main smart bomb haulers, and some Apaches add to the touch, with ofcourse other planes and helicopters coming in to the very speedy needs of ambushed ground troops too...
              Just one day's sitrep, begins the article where four major air support attacks in one day, were made by Harriers, B-1s, A-10s, and Choppers too in the form of the Apache and the Lynx...

The way it read, really brought to the mind of the reader that it's intence down there, inspite of the very official style of the command groups daily sitrep that it was taken from.

Very recommendable! Get it while it's on the shelf!!!
              "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                The Templars by Piers Paul Read.

I'm not very far into it. It seems like a general overview starting off with a whirlwind tour of the bible. Good for someone like me with no knowledge of the Templars yet.
                Ofcourse the book that does the Templar, and the follow up into Scottish masonry for me, is the famous 'The holy blood and the holy grail'...

Even if you do not come to the same conclusion as the writers (who I think were right in at least recongizing this secret sect of Christianism, that had survived from the plethora of Gnostic sects and cults, right to the modern times, all commercially 'dumbed down' and made into a rather boring film, known as the Davinci Code, incidentally all the raving about the clues in the Mona Lisa are never mentioned in 'The holy blood and the holy grail' , which was a serious attempt at finding out the Rennes la Chateau mystery, leading the journalists, into a path that would take them to such milestones like the readable history of later European Occultism and mysticism in their book about Hermetism, called 'The elixir and the stone', sorry my memory fails me, and I'm not home to check the bookshelf, I have a couple more from these authors, but cannot remember.

Anyway, another very honest book, is their 'History of the inqusition' , wich everybody should read, lest we truly think that Christianity was a blessing to everybody all the way to the leader of the re-named inquisitions leader Cardinal Ranzinger, becoming Pope Benedict!!!

Yep, this is where my otherwize very intersteting talks with a french village priest started bo brake down a fiew years ago, you see the Inquistion was never shut down!

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by DETURK View Post
                  Get it, and read it! I promise a great read!

Comment

• Currently around half-way through "The Fall of Berlin 1945" by Antony Beevor. I know this book has received some criticism on this forum in the past but I still think it is an excellent read.
                    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

• Originally posted by Napoleon View Post
                      Currently around half-way through "The Fall of Berlin 1945" by Antony Beevor. I know this book has received some criticism on this forum in the past but I still think it is an excellent read.
                      It is good, the reason why people were possibly dissapointed by it was that the previous book by Beevor, that being the great STALINGRAD, ofcourse, was so good that when Berlin didnt quite live up to Stalingrad, there were some dissapointments, and let's face it as battles go, the battle for Berlin was a pretty straightforward thing, where in Stalingrad there was supreme drama about who was going to win.

Beevor's Krete is a good read, short and good, which I fully recommend.

And a longer, more slow moving read is the also good book on the Spanish civil war by Beevor... Let's face it, he is a good writer of military history!

Comment

• Currently reading "Stalingrad, the Fateful Siege:1942-1943" by Antony Beevor. Great book so far.
                        "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley.

Comment

• Tripoli: The United States' First War On Terror by David Smethurst

The author at times uses a rather annoying novelization tone, but full of letters, quotes and profiles of the political situation leading up to the final battle and the major players.
                            All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

• I'm reading the biography of Sancho I, the second king of Portugal. I'm looking forward to get to the part were they write about his campains.
                              All warfare is based on deception.
                              Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• I was at Barnes & Noble today and I started to browse through Shake Hands With the Devil by Lt. Gen. Roméo Dallaire...I had to buy it and move it to the top of the reading list. I can already tell that it will not improve my opinion of the UN. Dallaire commanded the UN peacekeeping mission in Rwanda in 1993-1994...His actions and leadership were heroic; but doomed to fail for lack of support. He is the highest ranking officer known to have been treated for post traumatic stress disorder.

to Lt. Gen. Roméo Dallaire and Canada's heroic peacekeepers.
                                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X