Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Slim - Master of War' by Robert Lyman. Once finished I will finally read Manstein's 'Lost Victories'
    Signing out.

Comment

• Originally posted by DS1(SW)ret. View Post
      "A Bridge Too Far" by Ryan...I am just finishing this book up. Very intresting read.
      Read that one and recall enjoying it very much but that was back in HS or college (prob 15-20 years ago)
      Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

• Originally posted by vyshka View Post
        After ABTF, I would like to read Kershaw's "It Never Snows in September", which tells the Market-Garden story from the German side.
        My friend from Ireland sent me that one in a large batch of books and I only skimmed over it. Not as much interest for me in the Western Front as the Russian Front.
        Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

• I just started Gallipoli by Les Carlyon. It was highly reccomended by my guide at the Aussie War Memorial. When I get back to the States, I am going to read all the Stephen E. Ambrose books.

Comment

• Just finished Flags of Our Fathers (even better than the movie)... and have started.... A Soldiers Story by General Omar Bradley...
            Loyal Member (unless a higher bidder comes along anyway) of 5th Armchair General Battalion (5 ACG) of S. INC

Comment

• Just working my way through "No True Glory" by Bing West.

It's a fascinating read, but I really don't know how credible West is.

Tim
              "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
              -The President of the United States of America.

Comment

• Well, I tend to flit between books: I have very odd reading habits, of which the oddest- apart from a concentration on non-fiction- is probably picking books up, starting in the middle and reading a dozen pages before putting them down and forgetting about them. However, the book I'm concentrating on at the moment is "The Immortal Warrior", by John Wells. For those interested in military minutiae, and especially for those who find themselves drawn to the early ironclads, it's an absolutely fascinating dissection of HMS Warrior's career. My only regret is that such a book isn't available for more ships- although I can't imagine who, apart from me, would read them.

As for fiction, thanks to various presents I'm currently reading the Master and Commander series, by Patrick O'Brian. I've just finished "The Reverse of the Medal," and am desperately wishing I had "The Letter of Marque". I've never met an author in his field who can induce laughter as quickly and consistently as O'Brian, and this is entirely due to his skill at sketching characters. To anybody who has seen Master and Commander: Read these books, as the film both does and doesn't do them justice.
                Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

Comment

• I just started reading Knight's Cross which is a story about Erwin Rommel
                  "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

• I Recently finished "Worth the Fighting For" by John McCain and have just started "The Third Reich in Power" by Richard Evans.

Comment

• Mostly books on Westrern rialroad history at the moment, particualrly a specific history of the Florence and Cripple Creek Narrow Gauge Railroad, which focuses on operations through Phantom Canyon. I'm planning to re-visit the area come Spring and I want to have the history down first. Also, I'm suffering this incredible urge to get into HO train modelling, concentrating on that area because of he many types of trains - standard gauge through both narrow gauges as well as some one-off equipemtn - and the incredible scenery and unusual types of bridges, mining buildngs, loops and so forth. Trouble is, I know logically that I cannot afford a hobby of that type at the moment, but wishes are free. Besides, when I win the Lottery...

Other than that, Keith Laumer's BOLO! series. I'm a lot like robcraufurd - I alternate between a lot of books pretty much simultaneously.

My third interest at the moment is a refresher course on building cabinets and shelving, with an eye towards knock-down stuff that I can move with me if I have to relocate from the current rental.

And I'm trying to find the box that has my back issue modelling magazines, especially the only six issues of Fantasy Modeller every printed. Might be time to crank up the model shop again, while trying to figure out how many kits and what type would be needed to correctly model a Bolo Mark XXIII. I suspect that's a scratch job from the word go.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 07 Nov 06, 13:26.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by armor11 View Post
                        Just working my way through "No True Glory" by Bing West.

It's a fascinating read, but I really don't know how credible West is.

Tim
                        i think he is pretty credible...if my memory serves me right i thought that he was actually covering the battle of fallujah for something so he has some firsthand knowledge.

currently reading Flags of Our Fathers, going to be moving on to either No True Glory, The Longest Day, or They Marched Into Sunlight by David Maraniss

Comment

• Just finished Harry Turtledove's The Grapple.

It's the third of four volumes in his alternate USA/Confederation mega-saga. He assumes that the Civil War ended in a stalemate enforced by Britain and France. The series covers the period from WWI through WWII. Also as usual filled with marvelous and believable characters in extraordinary situations. I heartily recommend the whole set. (Indeed, almost anything by Turtledove.)

The Great War
                          American Front
                          Walk In Hell
                          Breakthroughs

American Empire
                          Blood And Iron
                          The Center Cannot Hold
                          The Victorious Opposition
                          Settling Accounts
                          Return Engagement
                          Drive To The East
                          The Grapple
                          In At The Death (forthcoming)
                          All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

• Rereading "About Face" by Col. Hackworth for the third time. Every time I read that book I identify with it more.
                            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

• I could never be so lucky again - An Autobiography by Genral James "Jimmy" Doolittle

Re-reading (3rd time)

Comment

• "Rommel" by Desmond Young, great book! I recommend it to everyone loves this clever general!
                                Last edited by Ghienar; 12 Nov 06, 05:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X