This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sledge's With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• Originally posted by Overseer View Post
      World War Z by Max Brooks.

Any Good? I am re-reading the Camalod series by Jack Whyte Pretty good even a 2nd time around!
      Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
      In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
      Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

• Somme Mud by EPF Lynch and edited by Will Davies. I put a query into the WWI forum about the accuracy of the book. It was written as fiction, then discovered, edited, and published recently. However, the cover states "The war experiences of an Australian infantryman in France 1916-1919." At any rate, it is a good read and full of some words I hadn't heard before, so that's always fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
          Any Good? I am re-reading the Camalod series by Jack Whyte Pretty good even a 2nd time around!
          I'm only a bit of the way in, but it's been very entertaining so far.
          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• I saw it at a store wasnt sure Id like it but it sounded interesting!
            Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
            In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
            Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

• Flags of Our Fathers

I am currently reading Flags of Our Fathers (followed up by Iwo Jima)
              Loyal Member (unless a higher bidder comes along anyway) of 5th Armchair General Battalion (5 ACG) of S. INC

Comment

• Appart from my acg and guns and ammo magazines I am now (still) reading John Keegan's 'The Iraq war'. But as I belive I put that down last time arround, I will list the two great Osprey books that I sometimes like to look at and read just before going to sleep. They are 'Centurion universal tank' and 'Chieftain main battle tank'.

In reading these one can see that although the Brits were slow at getting a good well balanced tank together in ww2 (although the MATILDA II was immune to all axis tanks until the Panzer IV long barrell 75 came along sometime in 42, and in the desert it was known as the 'queen of the desert' as the Germans could only take it out with stationary 88mm aa guns firing solid shot, plus this tank caused the slight panic in the seventh panzer divisions hq when the counter attack arround the Aa canal/river came with a number of Matilda's which just took everything that the t-38s could dish out, and then knocked them out with their then effective 40mm gun).

Still, the Centurion was arguably the best tank in the world during the fifties and a heck of a good one still in the sixties (the Israeli victory of three Centurions prevailing against a Syrian armour Brigade of 60 Soviet tanks ' t-55s I belive', in the 67 war is proof of this).

And the undoubtably best tank in the world of the late sixties to until the Leopard II came up, meaning the Chieftain, which still has it's influence on today's NATO standard tank fleets of the USA, UK, France and the Leopard II, and ofcourse the Merkava is a kind of Chieftain telling that although the Brits kind of missed the bus in ww2, after that slightly unknown to laymen the Brits have had probably the best tank of the 50s one of the still very good one's of the early 60s , then from 65 to the late 70s the top tank in the world, and now certainly up with the best, if not the best tank, this being ofcourse the challenger II.

So, these Osprey books make good arguments to back up what I just claimed about the Centurion and Chieftain. If you dont belive me, get the books!
                Attached Files
                "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Nukehawg View Post
                  I am currently reading Flags of Our Fathers (followed up by Iwo Jima)
                  Just started Flags of Our Fathers today. I have just finished the first few chapters. They explain the author's drive to write the book and background to the personalities of the six flag raisers. So far it is excellent.
                  AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                  The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• i'm reading
                    killing pablo
                    어떻게 지내십니까?

Comment

• Originally posted by Louis .v. View Post
                      i'm reading
                      killing pablo
                      Who's Pablo?

Comment

• Escobar

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                        Who's Pablo?
                        Killing Pablo
                        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• After a long hiatus I finished reading von Mellenthin's "Panzer Battles" this weekend. I am currently reading Keegan's "Face of Battle", and McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom".

New additions to the queue:

"A Bridge Too Far" by Ryan
                          abridged version of "Lee's Lieutenants" by Freeman (edited by Sears)
                          "Tactics and Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon" by Muir
                          Howard/Paret translation of Clausewitz's "On War"
                          "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Originally posted by vyshka View Post
                            After a long hiatus I finished reading von Mellenthin's "Panzer Battles" this weekend. I am currently reading Keegan's "Face of Battle", and McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom".

New additions to the queue:

"A Bridge Too Far" by Ryan
                            abridged version of "Lee's Lieutenants" by Freeman (edited by Sears)
                            "Tactics and Experience of Battle in the Age of Napoleon" by Muir
                            Howard/Paret translation of Clausewitz's "On War"

"A Bridge Too Far" by Ryan...I am just finishing this book up. Very intresting read.

Comment

• After ABTF, I would like to read Kershaw's "It Never Snows in September", which tells the Market-Garden story from the German side.
                              "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Originally posted by vyshka View Post
                                After ABTF, I would like to read Kershaw's "It Never Snows in September", which tells the Market-Garden story from the German side.
                                Amazing book.
                                "The legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace." General William T. Sherman , 20 July 1865

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X