X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsar
    replied
    Wow, to return this to a lighter, less grim note I've been reading "Uncompromising Honor" by David Weber.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    ^ More likely the programmer of that AI algorithm is making the political statement.
    With a look into the Holocaust, consider checking out Hans Kammler, whom designed Auschwitz and later camps and their "enhancements". Along with eventual direction of many production and research projects involving slave labor from the camps. I've provided some material and many links/books/sources to check out in this thread;
    Tech Plunder ~ Loot & Booty

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    I'm in the middle of an MA in WW2 Studies to match the WW1 one I took a couple of years ago. If all goes well in just over a year I'll have a 2nd MA (or is that an MA and bar? ). Currently in the Holocaust module which is grim. Thus I have been reading a lot of material on the workings of the 3rd Reich much of which has been purchased both 2nd hand and new via Amazon. As a result the Amazon algorithm keeps posting recommendations on books it "thinks" I might like to buy, mainly on subjects relating to Hitler, Himmler, Heydrich Eichman etc In the middle of the latest slew of recommendations is 'Fear - Trump in the White House'! Is the Amazon AI making a political statement?

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Recently finished: "A Short History of Nearly Everything ~ A Journey Through Space and Time" by Bill Bryson (one of my favorite authors). Admitted, only focused upon science and knowledge, not civilizations and empires, but still a 570+ page fascinating read on the course of human knowledge discovery. Along with Bryson's usual humor and wit, a great romp through human discovery over the past centuries/millennia.
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Short.../9781784161859
    https://carsonsbookshop.co.nz/p/hist...space-and-time

Leave a comment:

• 17thfabn
    replied
    I just read "The Day of the Panzer".

It follows L company 15th Regiment 3rd U.S. Infantry Division and the attached Tank Destroyers, Tanks and Cannon platoon. It gives a quick back ground of the unit from North Africa, Sicily and Southern France.

It concentrates on the small battle at Allan France.

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    I would bet that it has grown

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

Sounds like you have a large personal library, easy to do. Do you know how many books in your library?
    Somewhere over 2,000 but I haven't counted them since the last time I moved house 16 years ago

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    My error - having looked in my library the book I was thinking of was called The Paladins!
    Sounds like you have a large personal library, easy to do. Do you know how many books in your library?

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    My error - having looked in my library the book I was thinking of was called The Paladins!

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post

A book of that title gives a history of the RAF in the inter war period but I suspect that it isn't what you are referring to.
    Not sure which title you had in mind, the Praetorians is about the French military in Algeria forming the OAS who turned against DeGaulle, and "The Day of the Jackal" is the OAS hiring an assassin to kill DeGaulle.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    "The Praetorians" will give you the lead into "The Day of the Jackal"--another great read.
    A book of that title gives a history of the RAF in the inter war period but I suspect that it isn't what you are referring to.

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    "The Praetorians" will give you the lead into "The Day of the Jackal"--another great read.

Leave a comment:

• Capt AFB
    replied
    Just finished reading Jean Laterguy's "The Centurions", a novel about French paratroop officers experience as PoW in Indochina after Dien Bien Phu and then go on to fight the revolutionaries in Algeria.

Great mix in the cast of characters,coming from all walk of life in France. Really well written. Made me think of WEB Griffin style, although perhaps a bit more grittier and intellectual.

Looking forward to read the sequel "The Praetorians."

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Agree, based on The Third Bullet, I went on to read all his Swaggers novels.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Found The Third Bullet a good read with interesting detail and plausible explanation.
    I read "The Third Bullet" a couple of years ago and also found it very plausible. Hunter presented some very fascinating and intriguing details in the real assassination and his weaving of such into this "story", along with likely extrapolations. There are so many "gaps" in the event remaining unexplained and Hunter seems to have done the best job so far in presenting a probable version. Being 55 years into the past and so many key persons gone(died), it may be a case never solved to anyone's satisfaction.

I've read a few of his Swagger and Swagger Jr. novels and found them enjoyable and well written. Hunter seems to know firearms and shooting better than most fiction writers, and can include such in some rather gritty stories.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X