X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by ljadw View Post

The German title is : Hitlers Volksstaat.
    The title of the English translation is : Hitler's Beneficiaries ,with as subtitle lunder,racial war and the Nazi Welfare State .
    The thesis of Götz Aly is that the living standards in the Third Reich were high and that the reason of this was the looting of the Jews and the occupied countries and that Hitler bought the support of the German people .Volksstaat should not be translated literally .For Aly Hitler's Volksstaat was the harbinger of the present Welfare State .
    Got it. Of course, it didn't really work out that way for the Germans, since Hitler and His Henchmen (sounds like a rock band!) took the money instead.

In he be9inning, Hitler somewhat mimicked FDR with all of the public works program and putting people back to work. Some notable Americans like Lindbergh admired him.

Leave a comment:

• ljadw
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"Beneficiary" in German is Begünstigter. Volksstaat actually means people's state. Is that the actual title?
    The German title is : Hitlers Volksstaat.
    The title of the English translation is : Hitler's Beneficiaries ,with as subtitle lunder,racial war and the Nazi Welfare State .
    The thesis of Götz Aly is that the living standards in the Third Reich were high and that the reason of this was the looting of the Jews and the occupied countries and that Hitler bought the support of the German people .Volksstaat should not be translated literally .For Aly Hitler's Volksstaat was the harbinger of the present Welfare State .

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by ljadw View Post
    Hitler's beneficiaries (English translation of Hitlers Volksstaat,by Götz Aly )
    "Beneficiary" in German is Begünstigter. Volksstaat actually means people's state. Is that the actual title?

Leave a comment:

• Andy H
    replied
    Hi

Outside of those books I'm reviewing for work, I'm currently reading these 2 for pleasure

Regards

Andy H

Leave a comment:

• ljadw
    replied
    Hitler's beneficiaries (English translation of Hitlers Volksstaat,by Götz Aly )

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Moved on to MAJESTIC by Streiber.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Warplanes of the Third Reich

The Luftwaffe War Diaries

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Just finished C.S. Forest's "The Good Shepherd" about destroyers and convoy protection combat (that was made into a movie last year, "Greyhound"). His novel was riveting action. Now reading, Forest's "My Look at History", a collection of historical essays--just read an account of the duel in which Decatur, the naval hero, was killed.
    Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 01 Sep 20, 08:42.

Leave a comment:

• DingBat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Andy H
    replied
    Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
    Just finished this from Audible Books:
    • Generals in the Making
    • How Marshall, Eisenhower, Patton, and Their Peers Became the Commanders Who Won World War II
    • By: Benjamin Runkle
    Not bad. Have a pretty long and extensive reading history on this topic and related. This kept my interest regardless of familiarity on many aspects.
    Hi

I've not read or listened to that title but I'm always wary when a books title contains overly hyperbolic language. I know its a marketing tool and you should take them with a pinch of salt. However, like with newspaper or TV headlines, many viewers don't go any further in their reading beyond the headline.

Regards

Andy H

Leave a comment:

• Andy H
    replied
    Hi

Strangling the Axis (The Fight for Control of the Mediterranean during the SWW) by Richard Hammond plus the last article from the this 1/4's (July 2020) Journal of Military History.

Regards

Andy H

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    I am reading "The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat, Reality versus Myth" by Earl J Hess.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied

The Rebecca Code : Rommel's Spy in North Africa and Operation Kondor

5d15007a9c6ae4376dea0b73ad848bd4.jpg

Double Cross in Cairo: The True Story of the Spy Who Turned the Tide of War in the Middle East

e9ff1345627275fe78c7b42d87238a7a.jpg
    Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 31 Aug 20, 12:13.

Leave a comment:

• DingBat
    replied
    Just started reading this:

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied
    Originally posted by DingBat View Post

That looks like an interesting series, Otto. How far are you into them?
    Wavell's Command, Chapter 4, The "Five-day Raid'
    Just crossed the wire with 7th Armored and 4th Indian divisions as we prepare to strike Graziani's 10th Army in Operation Compass. Well detailed
    AfricaMap1.jpg
    Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 21 Aug 20, 19:29.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X