X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achtung Baby
    replied
    Just downloaded this book, I've been told it's well worth reading for those interested in the topic.

22594621147.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Military fiction and political fiction. Baldacci right now.

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied
    Originally posted by DingBat View Post
    That was a decent book.

I'll be completely honest and admit I'm late coming to study the American war in the Pacific. I was familiar with the battle, sure, but not the details. I was not aware that, besides possibly Dieppe, this was the first, large scale, full out assault on a defended beach. And as such it provided a lot of lessons for D-Day planners.

Tarawa, as a battle, isn't particularly interesting tactically as circumstances demanded a brute force assault. The book itself focuses on individual struggles and even includes some accounts by captured Japanese soldiers. It's hard not to come away with a renewed respect for those US Marines.
    Me too!

Leave a comment:

• walle
    replied
    Shogun - James Clavell

Read it the first time I was 15, was about time to re-read it.

Next up will be The Count of Monte Cristo followed by 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Leave a comment:

• DingBat
    replied
    That was a decent book.

I'll be completely honest and admit I'm late coming to study the American war in the Pacific. I was familiar with the battle, sure, but not the details. I was not aware that, besides possibly Dieppe, this was the first, large scale, full out assault on a defended beach. And as such it provided a lot of lessons for D-Day planners.

Tarawa, as a battle, isn't particularly interesting tactically as circumstances demanded a brute force assault. The book itself focuses on individual struggles and even includes some accounts by captured Japanese soldiers. It's hard not to come away with a renewed respect for those US Marines.

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied
    Originally posted by DingBat View Post

I just finished Midnight in the Pacific. Good book.

I also recently finished this as well:

Other books on the go:
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    51Ti8u%2BcGyL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Leave a comment:

• DingBat
    replied
    Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
    Just a few books on my plate at the moment

marines guadalcanal.jpg
    I just finished Midnight in the Pacific. Good book.

I also recently finished this as well:

Other books on the go:

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied
    Just a few books on my plate at the moment

marines guadalcanal.jpg
    Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 08 Apr 20, 15:14.

Leave a comment:

• Phaing
    replied
    Finished this one a little while ago, and I highly recommend it because it makes much more sense than the mini-series -

And now into this one -

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Started to reread "Fire and Fortitude".

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Sword of Kings by Bernard Cornwell. Perhaps the best of his Uthur of Bebbanburg series,

I WAS planning to read the current 90 posts on the ACLU tampon thread..... but I'll wait for lent..
    Last edited by marktwain; 29 Jan 20, 10:30.

Leave a comment:

• 17thfabn
    replied
    Waterloo : The history of four days, three armies, and three battles b Bernard Cornwell

Cornwell is of course best known for his historical fiction books. His Non fiction coverage of Waterloo is very readable.

Leave a comment:

• bill shack
    replied
    I should have said that i doubt if any soldier under his (custer ) command deserted. yes lots of northern and southern troops deserted .

Leave a comment:

• bill shack
    replied
    Pruitt, i disagree , custer was so well like in the civil war , he wore a red tie around his neck and very soon all of the troops under him wore one too. Other units when custer rode by would salute and let him go ahead. I really doubt if any trooper deserted during the civil war , he brought his men up to a very high standard and they responded accordingly .
    if fact Major albert Barbitz thought that during the civil war custer was the best cavalry general the north had ( he served under him 2nd ohio ) but after the war he called him obnoxious and thoroughly disgusted . .

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Bill, Custer led Michigan Volunteer Cavalry. I think he had as much trouble keeping them around as he did with the Professionals after the war. When a pair of men deserted in Kansas he sent a detachment after them to bring them back dead or alive. The Colorado Gold fields were not far away.

How else could an unemployed civilian get food, arms, clothed, pay and transport to where the pickings were better?

Lots of guys deserted in the ACW.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X