Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Doc! I'll make that my next purchase!

Comment

• Biscuit,

You might want to check out D-Day and Pegasus Bridge which were both written by Ambrose.

Comment

• "Sons of the Reich" by Michael Reynolds

A comprehensive history of the II SS PZ Corps
        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
          "Sons of the Reich" by Michael Reynolds

A comprehensive history of the II SS PZ Corps
          You read Reynolds?

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
            You read Reynolds?
            Yep, I also have "Steel Inferno".
            The history of I SS Pz Corps
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• Imperial Grunts
              어떻게 지내십니까?

Comment

• Originally posted by Louis .v. View Post
                Imperial Grunts
                Great book!
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• The Bruneval Raid
                  Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• Time Out!

Need to look at the new Army Greenbook first.
                    Courtesty of AUSA
                    Note that the "Weapons Systems" descriptions at the bottom of the page can be downloaded in pdf format.

Comment

• Gallipoli by Alan Morehead. I am reading Australian military history while I'm over here. It sure is nice to be cutting back on the studies for a few weeks and reading for pleasure.

Comment

• [copy and pasted from another thread]

I am currently reading "Fighter Pilot" by Paul Richey
                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030...680017?ie=UTF8.

Most of the book deals with the battle of France and he draws a positive picture of British performance around his squadron (No 1 Squadron - Hurricanes), including their French counterparts. He only mentions huge Germans superiority in numbers as a serious problem. But the book was written and published in 1941 and seems to be a little Churchillified. He does mention a lot of "traps" set by the Germans to bait and eliminate Allied fighters and that they often work - which you could translate as lousy tactics and readiness on part of the Allies. The numbers about British and French losses over France draw a darker picture than this book.

Excellent book nontheless. I think he just suffers from being more than a little elite himself and - which is common for very competent people - he cannot realize how much less competent the average person in his own organization is.

An interesting point is that apparently his squadron and the other one in his wing (No 73) never even remotely obeyed to wings' commands, much less fly in any approved formation. The formations in particular will be what later hurts British fighters in the Battle of Britain (look up what "Idiotenreihe" means, which is the German term for British formations in the BoB). This detail could have to do with why his unit fared better against the Germans than average.

He does get bombed a whole lot, though, and mentions silly permission policies about persuing the bombers. He does not mention losses duing the bombing which smells like Churchillification.

Comment

• The Lost Anzacs - Its a nice contrast to the last Gallipoli book as its based mostly on the personal letters and journals of 2 brothers. Its a pretty easy read.

Comment

• Master of the Cauldron by David Drake
                            I'm a bit tired of actual history and science so I'm taking a break in a fictional version of the classical age.

Comment

• World War Z by Max Brooks.

“To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• Cobra II: The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq by Michael R. Gordon and Bernard E. Trainor

I'm about 2/3 through it and have found it to be a great primer for the Iraq invasion, including the long period of planning before hand. They use various Iraqi sources to fill in the blanks of various events during the invasion - which are always interesting to read. It does not paint a pretty picture for American leadership and military command...

Linky
                                Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X