Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm reading Leonhard's The Principles of War For The Information Age. Leonhard states in the first sentence of the preface that this is a book the reader should not agree with, but it is instead a book to argue with. I have been arguing with it a lot.

When I am tired of arguing with Leonhard, I read D.C. Watt's How War Came: The Immediate Origins of the Second World War.
    Last edited by pmririshman; 08 Sep 06, 11:03.
    "The legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace." General William T. Sherman , 20 July 1865

Comment

• Reading two at the moment.

Excellent book on WW1 Naval operations (something I've recently developed an interest in. and...

I like his other books, so I figured I'd give this one a try as well.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

• Given the recent review of the film Zulu, thought I would put a plug in for the book I just finished, Major Mike Snook's "Like Wolves Upon the Fold: The Defense of Rorke's Drift" It Major Snook is a serving officer with the Royal Regiment of Wales, the linear heirs of the 24th which was at Rorke's Drift. He has combed all the accounts official and personal and mathched them the physical layout of the terrain, buildings and building interiors at Rorke's Drift and put together an excellent, detailed account of the fighting there. Once again one sees how several of the characters in the movie are cartoons of themselves if not outright malign. Poor Private Hook was a valiant soldier, not a patient or a malingerer and acquitted himself valiantly throughout the defense. If you want to know the reals tory, read this book.
        Attached Files
        Boston Strong!

Comment

• Day of Infamy
          By: Walter Lord

Comment

• Slipping outta miltary history and back to fiction:

Sabbat Martyr by Dan Abnett followed by The first volume of Conan stories by Robert Howard....

Then I will start Sledge's Old Breed
            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• I'm reading an incredible book right now, Les Bienveillantes by Jonathan Littell, it's the first novel of a 38 years old american author and will probably become a masterpiece of word litterature in the coming years. Written in the first person, this book tells the story of a young and highly educated officer of the SS during WW2, from the Einsatzgruppen on the East Front to Auschwitz via Stalingrad and the Caucassus with a level of detail and historical accuracy that's simply mind blowing. In 900 pages, Littell succeeds where many thought it would be impossible, writting a novel about the destruction of the european jews from the standpoint of the executioners themselves.
              This book caused quite a commotion in the uptight french litterary world during the past weeks and already sold over 200,000 copies. Written in french, Littell is busy right now translating it in his native language, don't miss it when it will be released in english-speaking countries, this book will make you understand how the nazi machinery worked like nothing else.

Comment

• I'm about half way through Palace Cobra by Ed Rasimus. I read his When Thunder Rolled a few years ago and am equally impressed with this memoir.

Ed served two tours in Nam as a F105 pilot (1966) and an F4 pilot (1972). He is very good at setting the scene and describing the feel of aerial combat (I suppose, not being a pilot myself). His descriptons of the idiosyncrases of the F4 are right on from every pilot I heard in my years with the Phantom.

Their element is to attack, to track, to hunt, and to destroy the enemy. Only in this way can the eager and skillful fighter pilot display his ability. - General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe
                All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

• Branching to "economics" I am currently reading the (a bit ago) buzzed about book The Long Tail.

So far, for everyone in my company and elsewhere raving about it, I have this to say:

No ****. Nothing new here.

Next on the list I think is Out of Control by Kevin Kelly.

...yeah, yeah, still not military history (instead about why biology will be the most important field in the coming years, and why random systems make perfect sense - despite scared people saying otherwise)...
                  “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Overseer View Post

Next on the list I think is Out of Control by Kevin Kelly...
                    Wow

I don't even remember writing that one.

Must have been drunk that weekend...

(sorry, couldn't resist. )
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

• Bounden Duty by Alexander Stahlberg.

Great read.
                      Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frankenstein View Post
                        Wow

I don't even remember writing that one.

Must have been drunk that weekend...

(sorry, couldn't resist. )
                        From what I hear, you do good work while drunk then.
                        “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• Without Precedent: The Inside Story of the 9/11 Commission by Thomas Kean and Lee Hamilton.

The first few chapters are kind of dry and mostly consist of Kean and Hamilton patting each other on the back for being bipartisan and non-partisan.

I'm on page 64 (of 370). The synopsis so far - The Republicans (especially Kean) were Charlie Brown ; The Democrats (apart from Hamilton) were Lucy; and the investigation was the football.
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Thucydides "The Peloponesian War"
                            "The legitimate object of war is a more perfect peace." General William T. Sherman , 20 July 1865

Comment

• Band of Brothers

I am really enjoying this book. Has anyone got a suggestion on which of Stephen Ambrose's book to read next? Except for the western one, they all looked good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
                                Band of Brothers

I am really enjoying this book. Has anyone got a suggestion on which of Stephen Ambrose's book to read next? Except for the western one, they all looked good.
                                Citizen Soldiers is really good. I have also heard that his book on Lewis and Clark ("the western one"?) is excellent.
                                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X