Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll have to look for that one, Doc. It sounds good for those quiet nights when nothing else holds my attention.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• I am currently reading Guns and Ammo magazine, and it's great! The sept issue is just nothing but great articles, and the ongoing articles on home defence is about using and choosing shotguns for home defence, also three 1911 guns in three sizes from top manufacturers are put side by side, and sooo much more, a heck of a good read if you are into target, defence or hunting related shooting. Oh and the website is great too, check out the automatic table converter to see what ammo fit's your gun the best, here: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/

And after that I will start reading 'The age of Gladiators, savagery and spectacle in ancient Rome' by: Rupert Matthews

My dad gave it to me and he said it's even better than the classic 'Those about to die, the history of the Roman games' which was the book that inspired the film Gladiator...
      "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by The Doctor
        It's on my bookshelf...hopefully moving to the top of the list soon.

I just finished Endgame: The Blueprint for Victory in the War on Terror by Lt. General Thomas McInerney USAF (Ret) and Maj. General Paul Vallely USA (Ret). Not very rigorous...but entertaining.

I just started The Chicken Little Agenda: Debunking the Experts Lies by Robert Williscroft. The author is a former US Navy submarine officer. He has BS degrees in meteorology and oceanography and MS and PhD's in engineering. It's a potpourri of my favorite subjects. From the green-hadists to terrorism to the philosophy of Ayn Rand and everything in between...

From Amazon.com:
        I am interested in Ayn Rand, could you point me out to some basic principles of her philosphy, or a website if you know one... They do not have 'Atlas shrugged' in the Akademik bookshop, the no 1 place for getting english literature, especially non fiction in Finland.

I have a book by Jane Corbin called 'The base' it's about the al quaida syndrome, but I havent got to reading it... Any info? I had some money last year, and I ordered lot's a books from Amazon that could not be purchased from Finnish stores. Most are very interesting, only a fiew dvd documentaries are duds, so I have mucho books that I have not read you see...

Yours truly:
        Mr Poundr.
        "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• The Ayn Rand Institue

While I'm a big fan of her philosophy...I've never actually read Atlas Shrugged......another book on the shelf; waiting to be read.
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• I am currently reading American Reich by Douglas Muir.
            "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

• Im reading a book on the war of 1812. Also once again, We Were Soldiers.
              Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

• I picked up Inhuman Bondage at the library yesterday - a superbly documented history of slavery in both the East and the West. Quite an eye opener, although it won't do much for the reparations crowd.

Comment

• The Yom Kippur War

Osprey Publishing's The Yom Kippur War by Simon Dunstan.
                  Osprey books are my favorite military history books! You should read one of their books. They don't have many pages and they'll give you much information.
                  "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

• Into Cambodia by Keith W. Nolan, the cambodian incursions of 1970 told in the grunts' own words.

Comment

• The Buccaneers of America by Alexander O. Exquemelin

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan
                      It's too late to work within the system and too soon to shoot the bastards.

Comment

• I continue my Vietnam fixed-wing pilot sweep.

After "Phantom over Vietnam" (lots of details) and "War for the Hell of it" by Ed Cobleigh (one of my most favorite books now, I love this book), I went on to "Flying through midnight" by John T. Halliday (also excellent, in particular if you overclock your computer), both Ed Rasimus books (most historic of the bunch and teching material), "100 Missions North" (more scholary, higher rank observations) and now "Pak Six" by G.I. Basil.

All of them recommendable, in particular Cobleigh and Halliday.

It's also interesting to see how the authors participate in the comments on the books on Amazon.
                        Last edited by Redwolf; 30 Aug 06, 20:14.

Comment

• I just recently finished Finding George Orwell in Burma, which I highly recommend to any fan of the author, and anyone who wants to know what Totalitarianism is really like.

The book explores modern day Myanmar (the country formerly known as Burma), following the path of Orwell's time there as a Colonial police officer, while showing the incredible parallels between modern life there, and the worlds of Animal Farm and 1984. If there was ever a regime that needed changing...
                          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

• Does anybody have an opinion on this one?

A Stranger to Myself: The Inhumanity of War: Russia, 1941-1944 (Hardcover)
                            by Willy Peter Reese

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0374...67#reader-link

I'd like to read another German narrative but from the preview it looks whiney and small (small format 200 pages).

Any other recommendations for German narratives? Pilots preferred at this time.

Comment

• I'm currently reading a history of the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad.

What's that you say? What the bleep does that have to do with military history?

Well...it isn't military history, but the author is Stephen Ambrose.

Comment

• "Special Envoy" to Churchill and Stalin 1941-1946 by W. Averell Harriman and Elie Abel

Fascinating look at the inner workings of Lend-Lease and the War conferences of the Big Three.
                                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X