Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started "Soldat" by Siegfreid Knappe. Have read it was but it was so good I wanna reread it.
    Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
    In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
    Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

• I just finished The History Buff's Guide to World War II by Thomas R. Flagel. His approach was original. He did "Top 10" lists on everything from Worst Generals to Hardships on the Homefront. It obviously wasn't deep, but provided an excellent overview that actually starts with events leading up to WWII. I also have to say that I didn't agree with all of his conclusions, but he did make me think in those instances.

Currently, I am reading Lee by Douglas Southhall Freeman. The first 1/4 of the book has been a good read.

Comment

• Currently? Nothing. Waiting on more books to review.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Comment

• Just picked up 'Battle Ready' by Tom Clancy.
          Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Comment

• Finally finished reading Unknown Soldier by Vaino Linna.

"It is easy to see why THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER has become a best-seller...This story of Finland's second war with the Soviet Union is a gristy as THE NAKED AND THE DEAD and as panoramic as STALINGRAD. It is the little man's view of war, with all the anxiety, discomfort, and naked terror that it implies. But it is also a cumulative picture, a commentary on war in general, the drives that create it, and the frustrations that follow from it."
            "Although the setting is Finland, the situation is familiar to all who were embroiled on one side or another of World War II."
            "Vaino Linna had produced a hard-hitting documentary. He shows a dimension of war which Americans in particular should study and understand."-Boston Herald
            Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

• Non-fiction: The Middle Ages by Morris Bishop. Reading about the Noble's lives right now.

Fiction: Executive Power by Vince Flynn. Picked it up at the airport before the flight to Spain, and it's really fun. He has a recurring character, so I'll pick up the other books after this.

Next: A book Fatih heard about called, Operation Vampyr by David Bishop. I told my son about it, we bought it, and he loved it, has read the second one already and is waiting for the next installment in the series.

I promised the Canadians I read up on their military history too, so Duncan's suggestions are noted and I'll get one of those to read.
              Love. Where does it come from?
              from The Thin Red Line

Comment

• For non-fiction, the following:

A Higher Form of Killing - about CBR warfare. Re-reading it, actually, until I find a copy of my own.

Guns of August ( thanks to latest argument re WWI)

A history of narrow guage railroading in Colorado, specific the history of the Alpine Pass operation. I'm trying to figure out what the investor thought he was doing,building a railroad tunnel throgh the Rockies at 11,400 feet.

For fiction, the usual ecletic selection of 6 - 8 fiction choices for the week.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Just finished Shooter by Jack Coughlin. Fast read of a marine sniper in Iraq.

Next up is Franco-Prussian War by Michael Howard.
                  I would define true courage to be a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.
                  --William T. Sherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cherper
                    Just finished Shooter by Jack Coughlin. Fast read of a marine sniper in Iraq.

Next up is Franco-Prussian War by Michael Howard.

Two books. One is "Beyond Band of Brothers." by Dick Winters and "Jimmy Stewart, Bomber Pilot."
                    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

• Christian de la Maziere joined a French legion in the Waffen SS in 1944. He was pretty sure the act would look foolish to many people-Paris was about to fall to the Allies, and he had no need to join any military unit. But caught up in the bizarre idealism that infects people during times of crisis, he did what his conscience directed. He fully expected to die heroically on the Eastern Front in what he imagined to be the last stand of the West against Bolshevism.
                      But after some grueling months of battle, during which his idealism all but evaporated, his fate took a lucky turn. He was captured by the Soviets, but then spared because some Polish soldiers in the unit had known his father. The elder Maziere had been officer and instructor at the French cavalry school, and at one point had instructed Polish cavalry officers. Since no one could prove that Maziere had actually been an SS officer-which would have meant certain death-he was spared and repatriated to France. He spent a couple of years of incarceration at the prison fortress of Vincennes, then was released to spent the next twenty years in bourgeois obscurity.
                      Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

• Cobra II, good stuff. A great book about heroism and ineptitude.
                        "I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend."

Jack Handy

Comment

• Castles of Steel; Robert Massie & A Popular History of the Great War; Author Unknown
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

• The Devil's Disciples (again ) by Anthony Read
                            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• Imposter by: Bruce Bartlett. A critical examination of the Bush Administration's economic policy. They guy's a Reaganite conservative so it's not some Lib writting a scathing review on the President but one of the conservative right being critical of a more liberal minded president in regards to the economy and spending.
                              "The State is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else."

Frederic Bastiat

Comment

• Bush has an economic policy?

Awww, man...I am TIRED of not getting the memos!

Just finishing up my "book report" for Dr. Sinister. I tracked down asome out-of-print books by authors I like and got sidetracked...well..."that's my story, and I'm sticking to it."
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X