X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished:
    A Frontline Account of the Battle of Fallujah by Bing West and
    Generation Kill: Devil Dogs, Iceman, Captain America, and the New Face of American War by Evan Wright

Excellent reads, both of them!
    Interesting differential in viewpoints.
    Last edited by jthomas; 05 May 06, 08:39.

Comment

• Just the received the following at work today:

A World at Arms, Gerhard Weinberg (WWII)
      Crucible of War, Fred Anderson (7 Years War/ French Indian War)
      Montcalm and Wolfe: The French and Indian War, Francis Parkman

Lots of good reading ahead.
      Last edited by vyshka; 05 May 06, 16:58.
      "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• About halfway through Stuka Pilot, the story of Rudel.
        Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
        In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
        Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

• Originally posted by panzermacher
          About halfway through Stuka Pilot, the story of Rudel.
          I might reread that one eventually. Read it back in college prob about 1987.
          Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

• In the process of reading 'Tim Collins Rules of Engagement: A life in conflict'.

Its quite good so far focusing on what goes on behind the scenes in warfare

Comment

• Just recently started biography on Fritz Bayerlein; Bayerlein - from Afrikakorps to Panzer Lehr, written by P.A. Spayd and published by Schiffer.

Judging by the first 50 pages (out of 300), truly a Five star book. Well-written, excellent layout with a lot of pictures and of course, all the details and every bit of info has been researched in the Schiffer-way - that's hardcore way!

It's nice to see that there are more and more high quality biographies on these generals that aren't so well-known, and often overshadowed by their "easier-to-approach" -comrades.

Only drawback is the prize

Comment

• Forgive me. I am reading fantasy instead of military history. Worse, I'm reading R.A. Salvatore. Does that make me a bad person?
                AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Salvatore is an amazing fantasy writer, especially his Drizzt books. As you can tell i am a big fan

Comment

• Still on Starfist... Now on Book X: World of Hurt.
                    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

• Now I'm reading beyond Band of Brothers, Dick Winters' memoirs be sure to watch for my review!
                      Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                      In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                      Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

• Originally posted by panzermacher
                        Now I'm reading beyond Band of Brothers, Dick Winters' memoirs be sure to watch for my review!
                        Looking forward to it. I've been wondering about two books about Dick Winters. I keep passing them by because I have a desk full of reading to do.
                        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• This one I finished a few weeks back:

War For the Hell of It : A Fighter Pilot's View of Vietnam (Paperback)
                          by Ed Cobleigh

Easily the best fighter pilot account I have read. Great sense of humor, a lot of useful imformation, easy read. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/042...Fencoding=UTF8

I also read "Phantom over Vietnam", which is similar but lacks the great writing, and "when Thunder rolled" which is more detailed, tells you more about how absurd U.S. policy in Vietnam was.

Comment

• Currently- Intelligence in War by John Keegan. Probably not his best work, but still highly readable.

Comment

• Received COMBAT OPERATIONS: STEMMING THE TIDE May 1965-October 1966 a few days ago. I have read about 1/3 of it and I already consider it one of my favorite Vietnam books. It deals with the Army's first 18 months in country and is a truly remarkable work, putting all the various operations in II and III CTZ in perspective in a very fluid and erudite narration, definitely the book I've been waiting to read for years, part of a serie dealing with the US Army in VN edited by the Center for Military History.

Comment

• I just started The Sling and The Stone: On War In The 21st Century by Col. Thomas X. Hammes, USMC. Zenith Press, 2004...

Kind of a primer on Fourth Generation Warfare (4GW). It's a pretty good read; but I sometimes wonder if war can really be categorized into discrete generations.

Col. Hammes analyzes Mao, Vietnam, the Sandinistas, the Intifadas, al-Qaeda, Afghanistan and Iraq to demonstrate the evolution of 4GW and the problems western democracies have in fighting them.
                                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X