X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DingBat
    replied
    That was a decent book.

I'll be completely honest and admit I'm late coming to study the American war in the Pacific. I was familiar with the battle, sure, but not the details. I was not aware that, besides possibly Dieppe, this was the first, large scale, full out assault on a defended beach. And as such it provided a lot of lessons for D-Day planners.

Tarawa, as a battle, isn't particularly interesting tactically as circumstances demanded a brute force assault. The book itself focuses on individual struggles and even includes some accounts by captured Japanese soldiers. It's hard not to come away with a renewed respect for those US Marines.

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied
    Originally posted by DingBat View Post

I just finished Midnight in the Pacific. Good book.

I also recently finished this as well:

Other books on the go:
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    51Ti8u%2BcGyL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Leave a comment:

• DingBat
    replied
    Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
    Just a few books on my plate at the moment

marines guadalcanal.jpg
    I just finished Midnight in the Pacific. Good book.

I also recently finished this as well:

Other books on the go:

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied
    Just a few books on my plate at the moment

marines guadalcanal.jpg
    Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 08 Apr 20, 15:14.

Leave a comment:

• Phaing
    replied
    Finished this one a little while ago, and I highly recommend it because it makes much more sense than the mini-series -

And now into this one -

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Started to reread "Fire and Fortitude".

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Sword of Kings by Bernard Cornwell. Perhaps the best of his Uthur of Bebbanburg series,

I WAS planning to read the current 90 posts on the ACLU tampon thread..... but I'll wait for lent..
    Last edited by marktwain; 29 Jan 20, 10:30.

Leave a comment:

• 17thfabn
    replied
    Waterloo : The history of four days, three armies, and three battles b Bernard Cornwell

Cornwell is of course best known for his historical fiction books. His Non fiction coverage of Waterloo is very readable.

Leave a comment:

• bill shack
    replied
    I should have said that i doubt if any soldier under his (custer ) command deserted. yes lots of northern and southern troops deserted .

Leave a comment:

• bill shack
    replied
    Pruitt, i disagree , custer was so well like in the civil war , he wore a red tie around his neck and very soon all of the troops under him wore one too. Other units when custer rode by would salute and let him go ahead. I really doubt if any trooper deserted during the civil war , he brought his men up to a very high standard and they responded accordingly .
    if fact Major albert Barbitz thought that during the civil war custer was the best cavalry general the north had ( he served under him 2nd ohio ) but after the war he called him obnoxious and thoroughly disgusted . .

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Bill, Custer led Michigan Volunteer Cavalry. I think he had as much trouble keeping them around as he did with the Professionals after the war. When a pair of men deserted in Kansas he sent a detachment after them to bring them back dead or alive. The Colorado Gold fields were not far away.

How else could an unemployed civilian get food, arms, clothed, pay and transport to where the pickings were better?

Lots of guys deserted in the ACW.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    In Kansas, their affectionate name for him was "Old [email protected]". He also deserted his command on the Prairie and ruined a horse riding ahead because he thought Libbie was waiting for him at the post. There were a set of rules for Custer and a set of rules for everyone else.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• bill shack
    replied
    Mountain man yes i have come to a conclusion. in the civil war all of his men were volunteers fighting to save the country. willing to do anything , if ordered in to battle where their chances were very slim so be it.
    But after the war the union army fell in to a malaise where all they wanted to do was the bare minimum , just hang around the post and drink. custer did not like this one little bit and being a disciplinarian he ordered his men to be much more disciplined . the men did not respond to this and fought against him. if he said do this they did that . he got no co-operation from his men , bordering on court marshall but alway just shy of it.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by bill shack View Post
    I am reading Custer victorious by g j w urwin. i was always intrigued by the difference between the way custer is portrayed at the battle of little big horn and the report that he was one of the finest cavalry officers in the civil war.
    Have you come to any conclusions?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I'm re-reading The Architecture of War.

https://www.amazon.com/Architecture-.../dp/0394709977

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

• G David Bock
    What's Tinier Than a Willys Jeep
    by G David Bock
    What's Tinier Than a Willys Jeep But Just as "Ooh Rah?" The Mighty Mite

What is this, a Jeep for ants? No, it...
    Today, 14:19
  • Massena
    Trump is Wrong Again-Dangerously So
    by Massena
    Trump is living in Dreamland...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/polit...ntv/index.html

The commissioner of the US Food and Drug...
    Today, 12:55
  • lakechampainer
    When you vote, which of the following themes generally help decide your vote?
    by lakechampainer
    When you vote, which of the following themes help you decide whom to vote for?
    I generally vote for members of my party.
    12.50%
    I generally vote for the more conservative candidate.
    25.00%
    I generally vote for the more centrist candidate.
    25.00%
    I generally vote for the more liberal candidate.
    0%
    I generally vote for the incumbent.
    0%
    I generally vote for the non-incumbent.
    0%
    I like to send "message votes".-i.e. vote rep when the dem will win
    12.50%
    I sometimes vote based on race.
    0%
    I sometime vote based on last names.
    0%
    I generally will force myself to vote for major party candidates.
    12.50%
    I generally take military service into account.
    25.00%
    I generally take sex into account.
    0%
    I generally don't vote for candidates from political families.
    50.00%
    I will sometimes vote differently in a primary than a general election (more liberal or conservative, etc.)
    12.50%
    I often vote based upon recommendations of friends and family.
    0%
    I always try to vote, including in local elections.
    37.50%
    I will vote strictly on what I perceive as my own self-interest.
    0%
    I will vote based on what I think is best for my children and grandchildren.
    37.50%
    Today, 09:35
Working...
X