X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Cornwell is one of my favorite authors.
    Agree, definitely a good book. But I also recommend to read one about the Vietnam War "A Rumor of War" by Philip Caputo. After reading it becomeclear why America lost that war.

Stan, writer at papernow.org

Comment

• I second the motion on Phil Caputo. I still remember the conversation he wrote between him and a Lt Levine.

"I heard the Second Battalion tried to take a Hill from 50 Rock Apes..

Oh yeah? Who won?!"

I have only recently found out that Rock Apes are the Vietnamese equivalent of Sasquatch and they liked to throw rocks at people.. I thought all these years that they were a local Monkey Species!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Spadegir View Post

Agree, definitely a good book. But I also recommend to read one about the Vietnam War "A Rumor of War" by Philip Caputo. After reading it becomeclear why America lost that war.

Stan, writer at papernow.org
        I've read Caputo, and I agree with you.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Hey guys,

I have way too many books in my queue. Anyone want to offer an opinion on which I should read next? TIA.

Here's the list.

Cheers.

Comment

• First Day of the Somme
            "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
            Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

• Originally posted by DingBat View Post
              Hey guys,

I have way too many books in my queue. Anyone want to offer an opinion on which I should read next? TIA.

Cheers.
              I really enjoyed reading Slim's bio ''Defeat into Victory.'' I followed that book with George MacDonald Fraser's ''Quartered Safe Out Here'', Orde Wingate bio publish by Osprey (Command series #20) and ''Wings over Burma'' (Story of a British Hurricane pilot in India/Burma) It gave me a good perspective on the Burma Campaign during WW2.
              Last edited by Capt AFB; 23 Sep 20, 00:47.

Comment

• Ran out of books - happens once a eek - and need to make a run into town to the bookstore! Library has been closed since the COVID thing started...but the bars are open.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Hi

Currently waiting for this to arrive.
                  Boyd made an impressive start with his The Royal Navy in Eastern Waters and I'm hoping this takes it up a notch,
                  especially on his sourcing, noting and citing.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• Vandivers "Black Jack: The Life and Times of John J. Pershing." Great to read about a personage I know little about as a man and military leader.

Regards,
                    Dennis
                    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

• Pershing may be the most underrated overall commander the US has ever had. At the end of War I he was against the German army not surrendering as it would cause future problems. He said that it, fighting the Germans, would have to be done all over again. He was right on the money.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Content delated as it wasn't related directly to the thread topic but adjunct opinion concerning possible changes to the OTL. As such the post would have been better served either in WW1 or Alternate history sections. Best Andy H
                        Last edited by Andy H; 10 Oct 20, 12:12.
                        There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

• Keeping with the thread subject of what you are currently reading, the COVID 19 thing and my retirement are providing me more time to read books - Perhaps a bit away from my normal military reading and more in the general reading selection.

Just started: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

But keeping with the military theme, I am also reading a book that as been on my shelves of books to read when I find time (I do now!): How to Make War by James Dunnigan.

Comment

• Reading C.S. Forester's Gold From Crete, a collection of fictional short stories about WWII. I'm studying his narrative form--would like to use it in a historical work.
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• I'm finishing up Suez by Keith Kyle. Sitting next on the pile is Twilight of the Gods, the finishing volume of Ian Toll's trilogy of the Pacific war. I couldn't wait for the softcover, so I splurged for the hardback. I know it was worthwhile.

Comment

• I have started "Robichaux" by James Lee Burke. I try to read every Burke I can get.

Pruitt
                                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X