Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished C.S. Forest's "The Good Shepherd" about destroyers and convoy protection combat (that was made into a movie last year, "Greyhound"). His novel was riveting action. Now reading, Forest's "My Look at History", a collection of historical essays--just read an account of the duel in which Decatur, the naval hero, was killed.
    Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 01 Sep 20, 08:42.
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Warplanes of the Third Reich

The Luftwaffe War Diaries
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Moved on to MAJESTIC by Streiber.

Comment

• Hitler's beneficiaries (English translation of Hitlers Volksstaat,by Götz Aly )

Comment

• Hi

Outside of those books I'm reviewing for work, I'm currently reading these 2 for pleasure

Regards

Andy H
            "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post
              Hitler's beneficiaries (English translation of Hitlers Volksstaat,by Götz Aly )
              "Beneficiary" in German is Begünstigter. Volksstaat actually means people's state. Is that the actual title?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"Beneficiary" in German is Begünstigter. Volksstaat actually means people's state. Is that the actual title?
                The German title is : Hitlers Volksstaat.
                The title of the English translation is : Hitler's Beneficiaries ,with as subtitle lunder,racial war and the Nazi Welfare State .
                The thesis of Götz Aly is that the living standards in the Third Reich were high and that the reason of this was the looting of the Jews and the occupied countries and that Hitler bought the support of the German people .Volksstaat should not be translated literally .For Aly Hitler's Volksstaat was the harbinger of the present Welfare State .

Comment

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post

The German title is : Hitlers Volksstaat.
                  The title of the English translation is : Hitler's Beneficiaries ,with as subtitle lunder,racial war and the Nazi Welfare State .
                  The thesis of Götz Aly is that the living standards in the Third Reich were high and that the reason of this was the looting of the Jews and the occupied countries and that Hitler bought the support of the German people .Volksstaat should not be translated literally .For Aly Hitler's Volksstaat was the harbinger of the present Welfare State .
                  Got it. Of course, it didn't really work out that way for the Germans, since Hitler and His Henchmen (sounds like a rock band!) took the money instead.

In he be9inning, Hitler somewhat mimicked FDR with all of the public works program and putting people back to work. Some notable Americans like Lindbergh admired him.

Comment

• A book by Oliver North.

Comment

• Benard Cornwell's "Agincourt"

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                        Benard Cornwell's "Agincourt"
                        Hi. I know Cornwell from the "The Last Kingdom" series. But I've also noticed he has a book on Waterloo, and, as you've just pointed out "Agincourt".

What's your opinion of Cornwell as a writer of histories?

Comment

• Cornwell is on the short list of authors that I try to buy all their books. I think he does better writing with Historical Fiction than straight history. He has a number of different series that he has written. I liked his Starbuck series, but he quit writing them. Too bad as he could have wrote a great story about Starbuck going with Longstreet to Chickamauga. I bought Waterloo but I don't remember finishing it.

Writers sometimes burn out on storylines. Look at Martin and Game of Thrones.

Pruitt
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by DingBat View Post

Hi. I know Cornwell from the "The Last Kingdom" series. But I've also noticed he has a book on Waterloo, and, as you've just pointed out "Agincourt".

What's your opinion of Cornwell as a writer of histories?
                            Agincourt is a historical fiction. His Waterloo is a historical account which handles as well as his fiction. He has always been impressive with the amount of research and detail in his writings.

Comment

• I just finished Rogue Heroes by Ben Macintyre about the SAS during WW2.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                                Benard Cornwell's "Agincourt"
                                Cornwell is one of my favorite authors.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X