Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm re-reading The Architecture of War.

https://www.amazon.com/Architecture-.../dp/0394709977

Comment

• Originally posted by bill shack View Post
      I am reading Custer victorious by g j w urwin. i was always intrigued by the difference between the way custer is portrayed at the battle of little big horn and the report that he was one of the finest cavalry officers in the civil war.
      Have you come to any conclusions?

Comment

• Mountain man yes i have come to a conclusion. in the civil war all of his men were volunteers fighting to save the country. willing to do anything , if ordered in to battle where their chances were very slim so be it.
        But after the war the union army fell in to a malaise where all they wanted to do was the bare minimum , just hang around the post and drink. custer did not like this one little bit and being a disciplinarian he ordered his men to be much more disciplined . the men did not respond to this and fought against him. if he said do this they did that . he got no co-operation from his men , bordering on court marshall but alway just shy of it.

Comment

• In Kansas, their affectionate name for him was "Old [email protected]". He also deserted his command on the Prairie and ruined a horse riding ahead because he thought Libbie was waiting for him at the post. There were a set of rules for Custer and a set of rules for everyone else.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Bill, Custer led Michigan Volunteer Cavalry. I think he had as much trouble keeping them around as he did with the Professionals after the war. When a pair of men deserted in Kansas he sent a detachment after them to bring them back dead or alive. The Colorado Gold fields were not far away.

How else could an unemployed civilian get food, arms, clothed, pay and transport to where the pickings were better?

Lots of guys deserted in the ACW.

Pruitt

Comment

• Pruitt, i disagree , custer was so well like in the civil war , he wore a red tie around his neck and very soon all of the troops under him wore one too. Other units when custer rode by would salute and let him go ahead. I really doubt if any trooper deserted during the civil war , he brought his men up to a very high standard and they responded accordingly .
              if fact Major albert Barbitz thought that during the civil war custer was the best cavalry general the north had ( he served under him 2nd ohio ) but after the war he called him obnoxious and thoroughly disgusted . .

Comment

• I should have said that i doubt if any soldier under his (custer ) command deserted. yes lots of northern and southern troops deserted .

Comment

• Waterloo : The history of four days, three armies, and three battles b Bernard Cornwell

Cornwell is of course best known for his historical fiction books. His Non fiction coverage of Waterloo is very readable.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                  Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

• Sword of Kings by Bernard Cornwell. Perhaps the best of his Uthur of Bebbanburg series,

I WAS planning to read the current 90 posts on the ACLU tampon thread..... but I'll wait for lent..
                    Last edited by marktwain; 29 Jan 20, 11:30.
                    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Started to reread "Fire and Fortitude".

Pruitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X