X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Appel"
    by Joel Adams Struthers

Anyone thinking of joining the French Foreign Legion should read Struthers book.

Quite an interesting read.

He give the good and the bad - in training, on operation, in life in general.

He would become a paratrooper and then a SF guy with the FFL.

Comment

• 010.jpg
      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duncan View Post
        Although one should read Ambrosie Bierce's ACW short stories as a counter balance
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Bertell Ollman, Alienation: Marx's conception of man in capitalist society

Alienation.jpg

Comment

• Battles and Leaders of the Civil War, Vol. 3.
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

• I have started reading some of my Patrick O'Brian books again.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Just finished Howard Blum's "The Eve of Destruction: The Untold Story of the Yom Kippur war". The author conducted extensive interviews focusing the personality clashes and decisions, as well as some lower level commanders' experience, during the war.

I was a junior Captain assigned to HQ USAREUR as a watch officer screening all intelligence reports from Europe, North Africa, and Middle East to the western border of Afghanistan looking for indications of hostilities. The Yom Kippur war broke on my shift. I had been listing and reporting indicators of hostilities the week before the war starting on Saturday, October 6, 1973. The major who was the Middle east desk officer had briefed at 1730 hrs, Oct 5th, that there would be no war in the Middle East. I came in three hours early the next morning for my shift and read a report that prompted my start in alerting the HQ USAREUR staff and command. Blum identifies the report which was also catalytic intelligence information for the Israeli leadership--the Soviet advisers were putting their families on airplanes for departure.
                Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 13 Aug 19, 04:27.
                Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Finished Niall Ferguson's 'The square and the tower'.

Most history is hierarchical: it's about emperors, presidents, prime ministers and field marshals. It's about states, armies and corporations. It's about orders from on high. Even history "from below" is often about trade unions and workers' parties. But what if that's simply because hierarchical institutions create the archives that historians rely on? What if we are missing the informal, less well documented social networks that are the true sources of power and drivers of change?

The 21st century has been hailed as the Age of Networks. However, in The Square and the Tower, Niall Ferguson argues that networks have always been with us, from the structure of the brain to the food chain, from the family tree to freemasonry. Throughout history, hierarchies housed in high towers have claimed to rule, but often real power has resided in the networks in the town square below. For it is networks that tend to innovate. And it is through networks that revolutionary ideas can contagiously spread.
                  35629744._UY400_SS400_.jpg
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

• The Myth of the Andalusian Paradise: Moslems, Christians, and Jews under Islamic rule in Medieval Spain.

Comment

• You finished the collected works of Van Wyck Mason, Walle?
                      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery, The U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842 by Nathaniel Philbrick.
                        "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• Magnifico: The Brilliant Life and Violent Times of Lorenzo de' Medici - Miles J. Unger

51LmAJZzItL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Comment

• Future Shock, by Alvin Toffler

Comment

• even better than the movie.....
                              The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X