This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Martok View Post
    My wife bought me this for Christmas. It was a gift with both thought and emotion factored in.

Ironic, isn't it?
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• -
      Last edited by OttoHarkaman; 29 Jun 19, 07:01.

Comment

• Sixty Minutes For St. George, a novel about the WWI raid on St. Nazaire.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• I recently found on my local library's books for sale shelf the three volume set of The Civil War: A narrative by Shelby Foote in large format paperback. They have a reissue date of 1986 in them. I got them for a dollar apiece. So I am now about half way through volume one. This will be my main reading project for this year. That man can write. I generally read somewhere around 100-110 books a year of the light romance and murder mystery type. So I don't think I will get anywhere near that this year.
          Homo homini lupus

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
            Just finished reading Jean Laterguy's "The Centurions", a novel about French paratroop officers experience as PoW in Indochina after Dien Bien Phu and then go on to fight the revolutionaries in Algeria.

Great mix in the cast of characters,coming from all walk of life in France. Really well written. Made me think of WEB Griffin style, although perhaps a bit more grittier and intellectual.

Looking forward to read the sequel "The Praetorians."
            Found time to read "The Praetorians." A good sequel to "The Centurions", with a bit more action towards the end of the book.

Comment

• Just finished Confederate Ironclad vs Union Ironclad - Hampton Roads 1862. Tonight, will begin on Confederate Ironclad 1861-65 and after that, Union River Ironclad 1861-65. All of these are Osprey volumes. Concise but very informative.
              "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• "Malta Spitfire" by Canadian fighter ace George Beurling. Very interesting read.

Malta was a far more brutal air battle site during WW2 than the Battle of Britain. Many Canadian and other Commonwealth airmen fought there.

Beurling was the epitome of the individual professional fighter pilot, to a point that he would be able to fire the exact number of rounds at a determined distance at an enemy aircraft to bring it down.

His individualistic attitude as being a loner and not wanting to work with a wingman brought much grief to himself from his superiors in England, prior and after Malta. But in Malta, he was the Spitfire pilot that caused a lot more grief to the Axis then his chain of command.

South African Ace "Sailor" Malan, one of his superior, said that he would have like to give Beurling is own Mustang fighter aircraft to fight the enemy over Germany - "He would either have been killed or end the war as the pilot with the greatest number of Axis aircraft destroyed" or words to that effect.

His individualistic attitude and not lack of teamwork would get the better of him, and in October 1944, he received an honourable discharge from the RCAF.

Comment

• Just started reading The Poppy War by R.F Kuang. It talks about trauma, forgotten history, and the power of fiction to produce radical empathy.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                    Just finished Confederate Ironclad vs Union Ironclad - Hampton Roads 1862. Tonight, will begin on Confederate Ironclad 1861-65 and after that, Union River Ironclad 1861-65. All of these are Osprey volumes. Concise but very informative.
                    Prior to reading the above, I had already started on British Battleships of the Victorian Era by Norman Friedman. I'm resuming that one.
                    Next in the queue is Before the Battlecruiser - The Big Cruiser in the World's Navies 1865-1910, by Aidan Dodson.
                    After that, I've got River Gunboats - An Illustrated Encyclopaedia by Roger Branfill-Cook.

All three are from Seaforth Publishing in the UK and of considerable substance. The first two in particular will take me some time to work through, based on maybe 30 minutes of reading time each night when I go to bed. (I find that half-an-hour or so of reading helps me get to sleep).
                    Unlike the first two, the River Gunboats encyclopedia will not be a "read it all from cover to cover" job but is still an impressive work.

Of course, apart from the pleasure of learning while I read, this is also to help me prepare for the next Warships Tournament. I wasn't sure whether or not I should be including river gunboats at all until I read the information on the book's jacket, which gave a brief summary of just how much important work these vessels performed in the age of steam.

"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      River Gunboats - An Illustrated Encyclopaedia by Roger Branfill-Cook.
                      Includes information about the river gunboats used in the Iraq campaign during WWI ?

Comment

• Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post

Includes information about the river gunboats used in the Iraq campaign during WWI ?
                        The book has over 300 pages but contains only a short section, covering about 4 pages, for British gunboats in the Mesopotamia region (which of course includes Iraq).
                        I've not yet read those pages - or the book in general - to determine the precise content. I just had a quick check right now to see if anything that might relate to your question is there.
                        Last edited by panther3485; 06 Jun 19, 04:52.

Comment

• Why Germany nearly won.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Pit Beef

Comment

• 001 - Copy.jpg
                              AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                              The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Recently acquired another book on warships:

Warrior to Dreadnought - Warship Design and Development 1860-1905, by David K Brown, Seaforth Publishing.

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through it and I already think it's among the best and most thoroughly researched books on warships I've yet seen.
                                It is also just barely "in the nick of time" because it bears substantially on some of the material I'll be covering in the next Warships Tournament. ....
                                Speaking of which, today I must update my progress in the appropriate thread.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X