Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, to return this to a lighter, less grim note I’'ve been reading “"Uncompromising Honor"” by David Weber.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• The Columbia Accident Investigation Board Report.

Comment

• Picked up the latest Bernard Cornwell's book about the Uhtred saga "War of the Wolf".

As always, it was a quite interesting read. IMO it is possibly one of Cornwell's better writing - Great story.

Comment

• Did you mail order or find it at a book store?

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• I found Cornwell's War of the Wolf in the book store.

Comment

• ''The Gliders' by Alan Lloyd

I neat book that I found in a used book store. I good read if you are curious about gliders use in WW2. The book focuses more on the British Glider Pilot Regiment in Western Europe, but does provide some coverage of German and American use of gliders, and about their use in Burma.

The major flaw with the book is that sometimes the author jumps from one story to the next, in the same page, without a logical flow - Flying a Horsa glider over Normandy and then jumping without explanation to landing a Waco in Burma!!

I also found time to read Chris Ryan's ''Strike Back''...

Those who read my past critics know that I find Chris Ryan's novels quite disappointing as I feel the author sometimes does not do his homework (driving and fighting from a tank with a one-man crew, comes to mind), but Strike Back was a entertaining read. I was not going to read Ryan books anymore because of my past disappointment, but ''Strike Back'' was accumulating dust at home and figure I read it while waiting for my next Amazon order...Hmm! after reading Strike Back, I may give Ryan another chance as an author!
              Last edited by Capt AFB; 08 Nov 18, 16:03.

Comment

• This book is quite a fun read.
                Germania: In Wayward Pursuit of the Germans and Their History by Simon Winder.

I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• I am almost finished with War of the Wolf.

Pruitt

Comment

• I'm into the 7th book of James L. Nelson's novels of Viking Age (825 A.D.) Ireland. The battle descriptions, plot line, character's adventures, and smooth, fast narrative reminds me of Cornwell's "Sharpe's Rifles" series.

The first novel title is "Fin Gall" (Light Strangers) which is Gaelic for Norwegian vikings (Dubh Gall (Dark Strangers) is Danes). Recommend reading books in order based on character development and characters that come and stay, as well as the villains who come and go.

Great escape reading, can't put them down, and I'm losing sleep.
                    Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 08 Nov 18, 08:40.
                    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• I have started the series, but I have lost a bit of interest in these books. The first few were good, maybe I have read a poor one?

Pruitt

Comment

• I'm currently reading Disaster at Stalingrad by Peter Tsouras. I'm tempted to quit however. I'm a fan of Alternate History, and I can accept when the premises are stretched (even VERY stretched, like in the Kirov series). However I like the military aspects realistic and well researched. This book started promising but became disappointing after a while. SPOILERS follow!

Basically the premise is that Germany adopts a more aggressive naval strategy to block the Allied convoys to Russia. So they decide to make an all out effort against convoy PQ-17 with all their major naval units, in order to completely destroy or capture the convoy. The Allies accept the challenge, and the Home Fleet, reinforced by US vessels, move to intercept the Kriegsmarine. And here is where the problems start. The description of the ensuing battle and the tactical/technical details are extremely unrealistic IMO. Basically an already damaged (by carrier aircraft) Tirpitz with only 3/4 of its main guns working takes on and defeat two KGV British battleships, sinking one. Meanwhile the Washington single-handled wrecks the twins (Scharnhorst and Gneisenau) without sustaining any serious damage, then steps in and sinks the Tirpitz at close range by blowing up its magazines. It doesn't help much the Allies however, since the Luftwaffe and U-boote inflict crippling damage to the Allies fleet and the Germans succeed to sink part of the convoy and to capture the rest, bringing the merchantmen back to port.

With all respect to Mr Tsouras, the battle he describes is BS. There is no way that an already crippled Tirpitz could take on two KGV, let alone sink one in a relatively short time. In the battle of the Denmark Strait the Prince of Wales gave the Bismarck almost as much as it got, even if its main armament was malfunctioning. And sinking a modern battleship by gunfire alone is a very difficult and very slow process, barring magazine explosions or other special circumstances. Also, contrary to what Tsouras writes, German naval shells in WW2 weren't especially good, they had a high percentage of duds. Maybe he mixes it up with WWI, where the inferiority of British shells was an important factor at Jutland.

Also, Washington alone defeating the twins without incurring serious damage seems quite unlikely. While they may not have been able to sink it, the concentrated fire of so many 280 mm guns could have crippled her in many ways. Even more unrealistic the Washington blowing up the Tirpitz magazines. The armor scheme of that class was especially designed for short range combat, to protect the vitals in the ship bowels, even if it let the upper sections of the vessel vulnerable. I'm not saying it's completely impossible, but the Bismarck was pounded for hours by the RN to a burning wreck without the magazines blowing up. Maybe Tsouras is an expert of land rather than naval warfare, still on internet there is a plethora of information easily available, from naval forums where these issues are discussed at nauseam, to detailed analysis from experts like Bill Jurens. Anyway I think the book can still be fun to read for those who are interested in warfare on the Eastern Front.
                        Last edited by Proconsul; 02 Dec 18, 14:11.

Comment

• I've been actually writing some books that have been posted on the Ark Community Forum creative section and on the Ark Diaries Facebook page.

I did one on a Vietnam Special Forces patrol that found a cave in the Central Highlands only to end up on an Ark. (The actual cave was discovered in 2008 and is one of the largest in the world.)

My current work is a continuation of the lost Training Flight 19, who have now returned to a destroyed Earth far in the future. A short clip of when the flight vanished off of Ft. Lauderdale in 1945.

From the last radio transmission sent, the following was heard, “All planes close up tight. We’ll have to ditch unless landfall…when the first plane drops below ten gallons, we all go down together.” A few minutes later, the Avengers’ last radio communications were replaced by an eerie buzz of static.*

Lt. Tylor has now ordered everyone to fly close together as he leads the way descending down to the surface of a very rough sea. The weather front has become strangely glowing as the five aircraft, now almost out of fuel, have closed into a tight formation as they descend to ditch the planes in the sea. Radio communication between the aircraft soon become impossible due to something that is now jamming all reception. The sea itself is glowing like a lighted landing field in spite of the very rough conditions 50 mph+ winds, have created on the surface. The glow gets brighter as the five aircraft descend towards the stormy surface. A strange noise sounding like a high pitch whine fills the cockpit of each plane as it reaches the point of being painful. Their electrical systems soon fail resulting in the engines shutting down. Then, suddenly, a blinding ball of light engulfs all five aircraft rendering everyone unconscious.

Chapter 2. The Portal

In a flash, Lt. Tylor and the 13 other crewmen of Training Flight 19, find themselves lying face up on a rusting metal floor inside a gigantic alien looking hanger. Its floor is littered with grass and strange plants of all kind. There is no signs of their aircraft or any signs of a crash landing. Their flight suits are missing along with all personal items that they had on them. They find themselves naked as the smell of burning electrical wiring hangs in the air. A massive electrical shorts crackles like lightning around the three huge rings that form some sort of tunnel in that giant hanger. They quickly go out leaving strips of color in each ring that are glowing in red, green, and blue.

In the corridor way down in the distance, an explosion lights up the chamber like a giant spotlight, then dies out as debris is seen falling down from that direction. The ground starts shaking as bits of stone, crystals of various color, and pieces of wood hit the metallic floor around them. Then, all is quiet save for the sound of the wind echoing through the cavern above, the hum of some strange alien machinery, and the sounds being made by several strange prehistoric creatures in the distance.

The weather in this massive cavern turns out to be quite hot and sticky. Giant trees, huge mushrooms, and vines of various types are seen growing along the rusting metallic walls down below this raised ramp like structure. Unfamiliar plants, tall bamboo, ferns, grasses, heavy moss, and smaller mushrooms are growing everywhere among and between the rusting metal plates and support beams. A glowing firefly, the size of a house cat, goes flying by. Other alien looking creatures, some with glowing spots on their sides and spike plates, are seen walking in the distance. In spite of their being naked, the crews of Flight 19 soon find themselves sweating profusely due to the stifling heat and humidity.

“What the frack just happened?” ask Gunner George Daryol from Lt. Tylor’s crew as he gets up off of the still shaking floor. “Where’s my clothes and flight gear? Where in the fracking hell are we? How did we end up in this weird fracking place?”

“How the frack should I know!” a naked Lt. Tylor answers back in frustration. “All I saw was that strange fracking light coming towards us when I glided my plane down to the sea after its electrical systems went to hell and the engine died.”

“Maybe, if you had flown your fracking plane West as you were ordered to, we would be home by now,” shouts a naked Captain Powell in anger as he gets up off the still shaking floor.

“Just how in the fracking hell could we have been over the Florida Keys as you claimed?” asks an extremely pissed off Captain Shrivers. “Our target area is completely in the opposite direction from Ft. Lauderdale.”

“My muther fracking Compass was screwed up after we reached Hens and Chickens Shoals!” Lt. Tylor shouts back at them.

“As the experience flight leader, you’re suppose to know where the hell you are going.” yells Ensign Bossman. “If your fracking compass were screwed up as you claimed, why didn’t you pass on flight leadership to Captain Powell? What was your navigator doing? Sleeping on the job?”

“I heard the radio message ordering you to fly West,” yells Private Grobbal. “Why did you continue to fly East when you were ordered to change course?”

The argument continues to intensify until it is suddenly interrupted by a loud blood curdling scream from some creatures running towards them from behind. Turning to face the sound, the 117 flight crew find themselves under attack by three prehistoric bipedal predators that are over twice their size.

“What in the fracking hell are those---Ayyyyy...!” screams Sgt. Gulliver as a large bipedal predator leaps on top of him, pinning him to the ground. The huge lizard bites off his hand when he tries to protect his face, then disemboweled him with a claw hook on its foot and starts eating him alive.

“RUN!” Scream Captain Powell as he gets over the shock of seeing Sgt. Gulliver being ripped to pieces by one of the huge lizard. “Head for those trees!”

“Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

• I don't have much time for reading of late, but when I do I am working through this:

a-feast-for-crows.jpg

Interesting to note where the book differs from the series.
                            For my wife, in treatment for pancreatic cancer. Thank you for your support.

https://www.gofundme.com/moving-moun...NPHmyoDrYlEkfE

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X