Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently finished reading this: Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy: Annihilation; Authority; Acceptance

51f%2BMOTspjL._SX374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Good book. Suffers from being a bit plodding at times, but worth reading through. The movie "Annihilation" starring Padme Thor's Girlfriend was based on book one of the trilogy. "Annihilation" was actually a decent movie, but of course more enjoyable if you had first read the book.
    Last edited by Martok; 27 Aug 18, 12:34.
    QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

Comment

• Just finished Nathaniel Philbrick's Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, A Revolution. Well researched, well written--reads like a novel. I've ordered another book by the author, The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull and the Battle of the Little Bighorn--looking to see what he finds in the personalities (like he did in Bunker Hill).
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Well I'm reading some Clive Cussler pulp but what I'm listening to is Starship Troopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g27OG89i8Ww&t=5774s
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• A Death in White Bear Lake by Barry Seigel. Not very far in, but a fascinating study of the reopening of a 21 year old homicide.

Before that, The Outsider by Stephen King, which I found rather flat.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

• Physical Geology
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Been reading books(including Aristotle's critique of Plato's Republic) on the influence of ancient Greeks and Romans who influenced the Founding Fathers in developing a constitutional democracy.
              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• The Warlord and the Renegade, Wylie. About Herman and Albert Goering. Two brothers with a Jewish godfather who followed very different paths. One who commanded the Luftwaffe and was heavily implicated in the holocaust and one who helped the Czech resistance and numbers of Jews to escape
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Just started "Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin" by Timothy Snyder. So far it has been very good. I knew about the famine in USSR Ukraine, I just never realized the enormity of it. It is mindboggling.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

• Finished reading Mike Duncan's book, a history podcaster, on Gracchian period (the time period between 145 to 78 BC). The book is entitled, "The Storm Before The Storm," it explores the battle between the Populares and Optimates over the issue of land distribution from the conquests to both the poor farmers and veteran legionaries, and later over whether to issue Roman citizenship to the rest of Italia. Many precedents were set and broken during this period leading up to the outbreak of Civil War between Caesar and Pompey in 49 BC.

Mike Duncan may be a flaming liberal historian, but he sure knows how to write a good story.
                    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Just started Battle Hardened by Craig Chapman.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Just got in the latest Simon Scarrow in, "Day of the Caesars".

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• I wonder if anyone ever reads any of the suggested works here, as one reply I never see is any form of affirmation of someone else's chosen work. Another sign of what this website has become, I suppose.

Regardless, given the fact for quite a few years I was immersed by trade into authors such as Milton, Dryden, Voltaire, Shakespeare and the usual suspects, at times I now enjoy reading lighter fair. Recently I found this at the Midtown Scholar and purchased it because I have an affinity for alternative history settings. The target audience is the same as was that of the Twilight series, only Gunslinger Girl is far more well written. Which still isn't saying much. However the book is enjoyable, which again at times is all that is required.

Gunslinger-Girl-by-Lyndsay-Ely.png

Also just finished reading this:

9780525954521_p0_v3_s260x420.jpg

A bit self-serving, but a decent read.

Last edited by Martok; 27 Aug 18, 13:28.
                          QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

Comment

• Originally posted by Martok View Post
                            I wonder if anyone ever reads any of the suggested works here, as one reply I never see is any form of affirmation of someone else's chosen work. Another sign of what this website has become, I suppose.

Regardless, given the fact for quite a few years I was immersed by trade into authors such as Milton, Dryden, Voltaire, Shakespeare and the usual suspects, at times I now enjoy reading lighter fair. Recently I found this at the Midtown Scholar and purchased it because I have an affinity for alternative history settings. The target audience is the same as was that of the Twilight series, only Gunslinger Girl is far more well written. Which still isn't saying much. However the book is enjoyable, which again at times is all that is required.

I can understand, many years ago I was in Baghdad during the Saddam days. I had been attached to a UK Cabinet Minister led mission.. They had all gone back to London but I was supposed to go on to Dubai. With their departure my quasi diplomatic status lapsed as suddenly did all my airline bookings, exit visa etc. and I was trapped in the Al Rashid hotel which became a sort of very comfortable jail. The British embassy proved their usual polite incompetency but fortunately the travel administrator in my London office (with whom I had made a policy of being on good terms) had contacts and I was sprung within a week. A week with nothing but the reading matter I had brought with me which was the Pickwick Papers that I was in the middle of re reading. I eventually arrived in Dubai (after a short arrest at Kuwait airport but that's another story). Dubai used to have a very good bookshop but there wasn't time to get there before they were closed. All there was was the hotel bookshop where I bought some trashy SF (I'm an SF aficionado and I know trashy when I see it).I can't remember what it was called - the lost Amanda, Fleet, Squadron vol III or something but I devoured it, rubbish it may have been - the literary equivalent of CMOT Dibbler's sausage in a bun - but there was no Snodgrass, no Dingley Dell etc etc. Sometimes you need junk food as a change
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post

I can understand, many years ago I was in Baghdad during the Saddam days. I had been attached to a UK Cabinet Minister led mission.. They had all gone back to London but I was supposed to go on to Dubai. With their departure my quasi diplomatic status lapsed as suddenly did all my airline bookings, exit visa etc. and I was trapped in the Al Rashid hotel which became a sort of very comfortable jail. The British embassy proved their usual polite incompetency but fortunately the travel administrator in my London office (with whom I had made a policy of being on good terms) had contacts and I was sprung within a week. A week with nothing but the reading matter I had brought with me which was the Pickwick Papers that I was in the middle of re reading. I eventually arrived in Dubai (after a short arrest at Kuwait airport but that's another story). Dubai used to have a very good bookshop but there wasn't time to get there before they were closed. All there was was the hotel bookshop where I bought some trashy SF (I'm an SF aficionado and I know trashy when I see it).I can't remember what it was called - the lost Amanda, Fleet, Squadron vol III or something but I devoured it, rubbish it may have been - the literary equivalent of CMOT Dibbler's sausage in a bun - but there was no Snodgrass, no Dingley Dell etc etc. Sometimes you need junk food as a change
                              I have the trove of CMOT Dibbler's sausage in a bun in scifi. Its all old stuff.
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Currently reading a lot of Baldacci's stuff, and just finished Hunter's The Third Bullet last night, a mystery thriller about the Kennedy assassination and how it could have been done using a second shooter. The method proposed was carefully researched and verified by shooting experts.

Hunter, you may recall, wrote the Bob Swagger series of sniper novels, including the one sued to make Shooter.
                                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Working...
                                X