This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
    Now reading Kanon's "Alibi". It's historical background is what happened to the Jews in Venice during WWII.
    Really, I did a research paper on Italian Jews in Italy during WW2. Big cover-up by the post-war Italians.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post

Really, I did a research paper on Italian Jews in Italy during WW2. Big cover-up by the post-war Italians.
      Kanon raises that point. Jewess character states the Air Raid sirens were used to mask the nighttime knocking on doors, screams, and hollering as they pulled people from the Jewish ghetto.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Been reading Sean Naylor's Relentless Strike: Secret History of JSOC, and Mark Morris' Norman Conquest. Both are good books.
        Last edited by Cheetah772; 14 Jun 18, 19:51.
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

Kanon raises that point. Jewess character states the Air Raid sirens were used to mask the nighttime knocking on doors, screams, and hollering as they pulled people from the Jewish ghetto.
          The Italians seemed to blame it all on the Germans as if they had a pistol pointed at them; I call it cowardice behavior as with much of what they did. Italian Jews were worthy of government protection and had the Italians been masculine they could have disobeyed German policy.

Funny how the Italian anti-Jewish movement predates that of the German one, they have a lot of nerve.
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• The Classical Art of Command: Eight Greek Generals Who Shaped the History of Warfare by Joseph Roisman
            00430f37_medium.jpg
            The Classical Age of Greece produced some of history's best-known generals and commanders. They include the Spartan king Leonidas, who embodied his countrymen's heroic ethos in the battle of Thermopylae; the Athenian leader Themistocles, credited as the architect of Athens' naval power and of the Greek victory over the Persians; the famous democratic leader, Pericles, who prepared Athens and directed its conflict with Sparta, known as the Peloponnesian War; the Athenian general Demosthenes, who deviated from contemporary conventions of warfare with his innovative approach; the Spartan general Lysander, who won the Peloponnesian War for Sparta; Dionysius I of Syracuse, arguably the most innovative and best skilled of the eight generals discussed in this book; and Epaminondas and Pelopidas who together transformed their city, Thebes, into an hegemonic power.

The Art of Renaissance Warfare: From The Fall of Constantinople to the Thirty Years War by Stephen Turnbull
            005634a1_medium.jpg
            The Art of Renaissance Warfare tells the story of the knight during the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries – from the great victories of Edward III and the Black Prince to the fall of Richard III on Bosworth Field.

During this period, new technology on the battlefield posed deadly challenges for the mounted warrior; but they also stimulated change, and the knight moved with the times. Having survived the longbow devastation at Crécy, Poitiers and Agincourt, he emerged triumphant, his armor lighter and more effective, and his military skills indispensable.

This was the great age of the orders of chivalry and the freemasonry of arms that bound together comrades and adversaries in a tight international military caste. Men such as Bertrand du Guesclin and Sir John Chandos loom large in the pages of this book – bold leaders and brave warriors, imbued with these traditions of chivalry and knighthood. How their heroic endeavors and the knightly code of conduct could be reconciled with the indiscriminate carnage of the 'chevauchée' and the depredations of the 'free companies' is one of the principal themes of this informative and entertaining book.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
              Been reading Sean Naylor's Relentless Strike: Secret History of JSOC, and Mark Morris' Norman Conquest. Both are good books.
              Morris is a great one, I really enjoyed his bio of Edward I.
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Just finished devil’s due of the destroyermen series
                the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
                A man dies and leaves his name,
                A teacher dies and teaches death.
                Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

• Just finished "Hell Island" by Dan McCaffery.

The book covers the air battle over Malta in 1942.

Although the subtitle mentions Canadian pilots, the author does not only focus on Canadians and fighter pilots. It is well-researched and covers German, Italian, Commonwealth and Maltese aspects of the battle - fighters, bombers, reconnaissance, convoys, submarine warfare, living conditions on the island etc

Highly recommended for anyone interested in WW2 air war.

Comment

• I am a hundred pages into The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.
                    "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
                      I am a hundred pages into The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.
                      Do you need someone to throw you a lifeline?
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Re-reading my series on the Marine Corps by WEB Griffith.

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Do you need someone to throw you a lifeline?
                          No. Although it's not a book that reads like it was written by a former President of the United States. Or perhaps I was expecting too much.
                          "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• Originally posted by Greybriar View Post

No. Although it's not a book that reads like it was written by a former President of the United States. Or perhaps I was expecting too much.
                            The BBC review gave it half a star out of five.
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• I have finished The President Is Missing and am now reading The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus by Terry Goodkind.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X