Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you guys read Clavell's "Whirlwind" on the Iranian revolution? I enjoyed that one also.
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
      Have you guys read Clavell's "Whirlwind" on the Iranian revolution? I enjoyed that one also.
      A lot less actually than Shogun.

My (descending) order was
      1. Shogun
      2. Taipan
      3. Whirlwind
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Re Shogun TV miniseries-
        Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
        It stayed pretty close to the book. Obviously some things were lost as they always are when a book is turned into a movie but overall not bad.
        And I was pleasantly surprised to see it's currently on youtube in great HD in 3 parts, I'll watch it again later..-

https://youtu.be/o3qldVft8XQ
        https://youtu.be/AQlCEbyYo4Q
        https://youtu.be/dJvK4wD0KZE

Comment

• Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
          A lot less actually than Shogun.

My (descending) order was
          1. Shogun
          2. Taipan
          3. Whirlwind
          The same for me.
          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Second hand find. Interesting read, especially the tactics sections on ground attack etc.

Comment

• The corner.

The crime-infested intersection of West Fayette and Monroe Streets is well-known--and cautiously avoided--by most of Baltimore. But this notorious corner's 24-hour open-air drug market provides the economic fuel for a dying neighborhood.

David Simon, an award-winning author and crime reporter, and Edward Burns, a 20-year veteran of the urban drug war, tell the chilling story of this desolate crossroad.
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                The corner.

The crime-infested intersection of West Fayette and Monroe Streets is well-known--and cautiously avoided--by most of Baltimore. But this notorious corner's 24-hour open-air drug market provides the economic fuel for a dying neighborhood.

David Simon, an award-winning author and crime reporter, and Edward Burns, a 20-year veteran of the urban drug war, tell the chilling story of this desolate crossroad.
                Wow, I was just thinking I'd been there [three second delay] followed by "oh crap, that was almost twenty years ago."
                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• I'm reading " Broken Dandelions" by Tamzin Atkins. Its a good book and its interesting! Its perfect for teens out there.

Comment

• Hi

Just got this in the post for subsequent review

Regards

Andy H
                    Attached Files
                    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• 700-800 Russian emigre newspapers 1920-1921

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                        Hi

Just got this in the post for subsequent review

Regards

Andy H
                        Be interested to know if it tells us anything that Michael Gannon's Operation Drumbeat hasn't already covered.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          Be interested to know if it tells us anything that Michael Gannon's Operation Drumbeat hasn't already covered.
                          Hi Mark

I've not started to read it yet in terms of a review, other than the introduction in which he does make due note of both Gannon's work and Clay Blairs and their influence on his desire to pen this book.
                          The book isn't really about the Drumbeat Op as such (though its duly discussed) but more about the wider context as to the failings of not just the USN but the American Govt and its apparatus, plus some tangential areas.

I've not read Gannons work in full for nigh on 25yrs, though dipped into since on many occasion, certainly prior to Blairs work anyway.

Regards

Andy
                          "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                              Wow, I was just thinking I'd been there [three second delay] followed by "oh crap, that was almost twenty years ago."
                              LOL. Same reaction at my end!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                                LOL. Same reaction at my end!!
                                What the F*** has this got do do with anything anyone is reading?
                                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X