X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
    Have you guys read Clavell's "Whirlwind" on the Iranian revolution? I enjoyed that one also.
    A lot less actually than Shogun.

My (descending) order was
    1. Shogun
    2. Taipan
    3. Whirlwind

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    Have you guys read Clavell's "Whirlwind" on the Iranian revolution? I enjoyed that one also.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
    I haven't read the book but enjoyed the 1980 TV miniseries starring Richard Chamberlain-
    WIKI- "Shōgun is an American television miniseries based on the 1975 novel of the same name by James Clavell, who also was the executive producer of the miniseries. It was first broadcast in the United States on NBC over five nights between September 15 and September 19, 1980. To date, it is the only American television production to be filmed on location entirely in Japan, with additional sound stage filming also taking place in Japan at the Toho studio."

But I don't know how closely it stuck to the book. Clavell was the producer so presumably it did..
    It stayed pretty close to the book. Obviously some things were lost as they always are when a book is turned into a movie but overall not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Poor Old Spike
    replied
    Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
    Re-reading Clavell's "Shogun" for the fourth time. For me, it's a great, well-written adventure tale.
    I haven't read the book but enjoyed the 1980 TV miniseries starring Richard Chamberlain-
    WIKI- "Shōgun is an American television miniseries based on the 1975 novel of the same name by James Clavell, who also was the executive producer of the miniseries. It was first broadcast in the United States on NBC over five nights between September 15 and September 19, 1980. To date, it is the only American television production to be filmed on location entirely in Japan, with additional sound stage filming also taking place in Japan at the Toho studio."

But I don't know how closely it stuck to the book. Clavell was the producer so presumably it did..

Leave a comment:

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    Jerusalem, a biography

"Jerusalem, a biography"
    by Sebag Montefiore

A well researched and page turning history book.

On the way you immensely brush up on your bibilical knowledge, things you had learned once but that got covered under a lot of dust.
    After that one gets presented with new insights on the Roman Empire from a Jewish angle, I get th eimpression that the Jews were the most unruly subjects of th eEmpire, no way to pacify those zealots;
    followed by the rise of first Christianity and then Islam full with nice little details.
    Currently I am at the Crusaders. I learned about the genuine concerns of the Christians about the access of pilgrims to the holy places. Crusades according to SM were not just schemes thought out by Pope Urban to increase the power of the papacy, but there was a huge religious motif.

So far I am enjoying every chapter and learning a lot, not revisionist knowledge but a nice array of knowledge attractively presented.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X