Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Mini-Me
    A lot of things I do seem odd to me, this being one of them.
    The book thing or coming on here to hang out with us.

    Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Psycho1943
      The book thing or coming on here to hang out with us.

      Both.
      1. Even if you could make something idiot proof they would just go out and build a better idiot.
      2. The road to hell is paved by a hard working asphalt crew of meddlesome legislators.

      Comment


      • I'm now reading "The road to Stalingrad" by: John Erickson, and it is what I have been looking for, a (partial) account of the eastern front from the Soviet army's point of view.

        Although Ericksons style is quite academic, and thus not as fluent as say, Beevor or Ambrose, it's worth the while, for having read about six books on the Russian front all from the German point of view, and throw in the Finnish books, on the Finn-Soviet wars, It is truly refreshing to read accounts from Russian archives.

        For anybody seriously interested in the Russian front, I recommend this book!
        "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

        If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Psycho1943
          Got a new book in that jumps to the head of the line. Here's the new one:
          <good stuff snipped>
          Hmmm...got to get that one and read it! Thanks for the info.
          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


          "Never pet a burning dog."

          RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
          http://www.mormon.org
          http://www.sca.org
          http://www.scv.org/
          http://www.scouting.org/

          Comment


          • I just started (and have a hard time putting down), Jesse Helms's biography Here's Where I Stand. It's an excellent book -- altho' liberals may feel differently about it. He's as blunt in the book as in real life.
            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


            "Never pet a burning dog."

            RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
            http://www.mormon.org
            http://www.sca.org
            http://www.scv.org/
            http://www.scouting.org/

            Comment


            • "Escape From Canada: a Chronicle of German POWs in Canada" by John (?) Melady
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Janos
                I just started (and have a hard time putting down), Jesse Helms's biography Here's Where I Stand. It's an excellent book -- altho' liberals may feel differently about it. He's as blunt in the book as in real life.
                Now thats one I'll have to look for. I kept NC residency while in Ohio for several years so I could vote for Jesse...of course being a student living off mom and dad had a bit to do with it also.....

                I've one chapter left of the Combat Surgeon book. Very good, and a different perspective than your used to. I recommend it.
                As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                Mario Batali, 2006

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dhuffjr
                  Now thats one I'll have to look for. I kept NC residency while in Ohio for several years so I could vote for Jesse...of course being a student living off mom and dad had a bit to do with it also.....
                  It was offered by the Conservative Book Club last month. It's fascinating and very well written.
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006


                  "Never pet a burning dog."

                  RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Janos
                    Hmmm...got to get that one and read it! Thanks for the info.
                    Haven't gotten to read as much lately so I'm only about halfway thru it. Since I sorta speed read/scan it usually doesn't take too long.

                    So far the dude really hasn't been in combat too much. He got in a bit later (Jul 42) and spends plenty of time training or behind the lines recovering from a wound or on leave. The name of the book is Adventures in my Youth: A German Soldier on the Eastern Front 1941-45. I am starting to wonder about the latter part of the name. He didn't get there in 41 and he really doesn't seem to be on the Eastern Front as much as in training back home. Should I ask for a refund for false advertising?

                    It is a bit tough to find. I see one on Amazon for over $90 but I picked one up from a UK seller on ebay for about $35. Went ahead and bought two extra copies this week to put up on Amazon for less than the other dude. That always helps pay for my library and game habits.
                    Last edited by Psycho; 22 Feb 06, 11:23. Reason: showing off my business entremanure skills
                    Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

                    Comment


                    • Days of Infamy by Harry Turtledove.... a good yarn in my opinion and I'm a 1/5 of the way through....
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

                      Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

                      Comment


                      • Psycho1943,

                        GO and buy "But Not for the Fuehrer" by Helmet Jung,

                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...349192-9378846

                        First couple of chapters start off about his growing up in Nazi Germany.

                        However once th action kicks off it really does go off witha bang.

                        Another book Ive just finished is......

                        "Berlin Dance of Death".............this is full on from start to finish. Both books come highly recommended.
                        Lesliesplace forum

                        Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Wodin
                          Psycho1943,

                          GO and buy "But Not for the Fuehrer" by Helmet Jung,

                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...349192-9378846

                          First couple of chapters start off about his growing up in Nazi Germany.

                          However once th action kicks off it really does go off witha bang.

                          Another book Ive just finished is......

                          "Berlin Dance of Death".............this is full on from start to finish. Both books come highly recommended.
                          Thanks for adding another book to my read list. Maybe I can get around to it if I live to be 1000.
                          Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

                          Comment


                          • Currently reading "Death Of The Leaping Horsemen " from Jason D. Mark. Approach to and battle/destruction of the 24. Panzerdivision in Stalingrad.
                            One of the best books i ever had. Rating: A+

                            MK
                            The advance is extraordinary difficult, because of three reasons. First of them, as always, is the high fighting spirit of the German soldier.Gen. Eisenhower in a letter to Gen. Marshall, July 1944

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by M.Koch
                              Currently reading "Death Of The Leaping Horsemen " from Jason D. Mark. Approach to and battle/destruction of the 24. Panzerdivision in Stalingrad.
                              One of the best books i ever had. Rating: A+

                              MK
                              Still trying to find a copy since it came up over in the ASL area. Would like to get one without too much cash for it.
                              Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

                              Comment


                              • Yeah...i was lucky and got one of the last copys remaining. Now they´re collecting orders to start a reprint.

                                MK
                                The advance is extraordinary difficult, because of three reasons. First of them, as always, is the high fighting spirit of the German soldier.Gen. Eisenhower in a letter to Gen. Marshall, July 1944

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X