Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Current Reading materials

    I am currently reading "British trench warfare 1917-1918 a reference Manual" Reprints of great war Manuals on entrenchments. also reading Jack Sheldons book "the German Army on the Somme 1914-1916" Both excellent books well worth reading
    finally 371-006 - Ballistics and Ammunition from the Canadian Army Electronic Library http://armyapp.dnd.ca/ael/publications_ie.asp
    Last edited by Druid_Ian; 15 Feb 06, 12:39.
    Confucius he say, war not determine who's right. War determine who's left

    Comment


    • AMERICAN SOLDIER

      The biography of Gen. Tommy Franks
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

      Comment


      • Originally posted by TacCovert4
        AMERICAN SOLDIER

        The biography of Gen. Tommy Franks
        I liked this book a lot. I notice you're a Marine. If you want something very similar but more USMC oriented, pick up a copy of Tom Clancy and Tonny Zinni's Battle Ready.
        To whispers of Beethoven...

        "Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
        -Werner Pluskat

        Comment


        • Six Days of War by Michael Oren

          Originally posted by trauth116
          Right now I am reading the Battle of Alamein by Bierman and Smith - which is a misleading title as it is pretty much about the Western Desert from 1940 to just after the El Alamein battles.
          Good book. I love anything about the Western Desert campaigns.

          I'm currently reading Six Days of War by Michael Oren. So far it's really good. It covers the events leading up to and people involved with the Six Day War in '67. Over half the book is about the behind the scenes politics involved, and is pretty interesting. It really helps to place alot of the current political actors in their place historically.

          Next, I'm interested in finding a good book on the Yom Kippur War. Anyone have any ideas?
          "Nations are never content to confine their rivalships and enmities to themselves. It is their usual policy to disseminate them as widely, as they can, regardless how far it may interfere with the tranquility or happiness of the nations which they are able to influence." -- Alexander Hamilton

          Comment


          • "Marching Orders: The Untold Story of WW II" by Bruce Lee
            Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Pfc TAZ
              Next, I'm interested in finding a good book on the Yom Kippur War. Anyone have any ideas?
              How the Arabs spent the time between 67 and 73:

              ROAD TO RAMADAN by Mohamed Heikal
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/034...Fencoding=UTF8

              That is an excellent book.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by C.M. Ansley
                I liked this book a lot. I notice you're a Marine. If you want something very similar but more USMC oriented, pick up a copy of Tom Clancy and Tonny Zinni's Battle Ready.

                Thanks. I'm really big on tactics, so I got over the Gen. Franks being Army because I wanted to understand his hyperwar.
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Pfc TAZ
                  Good book. I love anything about the Western Desert campaigns.

                  I'm currently reading Six Days of War by Michael Oren. So far it's really good. It covers the events leading up to and people involved with the Six Day War in '67. Over half the book is about the behind the scenes politics involved, and is pretty interesting. It really helps to place alot of the current political actors in their place historically.

                  Next, I'm interested in finding a good book on the Yom Kippur War. Anyone have any ideas?
                  I started reading this book a few years ago, but got side-tracked. What I did read was excellent.

                  I had never realized before reading Oren's book that Nasser's Egyptian forces had used chemical weapons when they intervened in Yemen prior to the Six Day War.

                  I'll have to move this one up on my "to finish" list.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by The Doctor
                    I started reading this book a few years ago, but got side-tracked. What I did read was excellent.

                    I had never realized before reading Oren's book that Nasser's Egyptian forces had used chemical weapons when they intervened in Yemen prior to the Six Day War.

                    I'll have to move this one up on my "to finish" list.
                    My friend sometimes reads 2 or 3 books at one time. He gets tired of reading one and switches to another and maybe another. Then goes back to the first and keeps that up until he is through with them all.

                    I just don't get that.
                    Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

                    Comment


                    • I just finish reading Martin Gilberts The Day The War Ended. Principally about the end of the World War II in Europe. A basic narrative, interlace with hundreds of person stories.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Druid_Ian
                        also reading Jack Sheldons book "the German Army on the Somme 1914-1916"
                        I have that in my waiting to be read stack.

                        Here is a fantastic place to buy WW1 books. They are a publisher aswell.

                        http://www.naval-military-press.com/...meset.htm&-new
                        Lesliesplace forum

                        Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

                        Comment


                        • Combat Surgeon.

                          A book about a doctor who served with the 27th Marines on Iwo Jima. Very interesting perspective.
                          As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                          Mario Batali, 2006

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Psycho1943
                            My friend sometimes reads 2 or 3 books at one time. He gets tired of reading one and switches to another and maybe another. Then goes back to the first and keeps that up until he is through with them all.

                            I just don't get that.
                            Sometimes I have multiple books going too. I can't explain it either, but I'm able to switch back and forth, so I guess it works.
                            1. Even if you could make something idiot proof they would just go out and build a better idiot.
                            2. The road to hell is paved by a hard working asphalt crew of meddlesome legislators.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mini-Me
                              Sometimes I have multiple books going too. I can't explain it either, but I'm able to switch back and forth, so I guess it works.
                              I don't think it would be a problem following them or mixing them up but it just seems odd to me. I would rather finish one and move on to the next one.
                              Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Psycho1943
                                I don't think it would be a problem following them or mixing them up but it just seems odd to me. I would rather finish one and move on to the next one.
                                A lot of things I do seem odd to me, this being one of them.
                                1. Even if you could make something idiot proof they would just go out and build a better idiot.
                                2. The road to hell is paved by a hard working asphalt crew of meddlesome legislators.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X