Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great coverage of the campaign in the Alps 1940. French and Italian OOB and a wide collection of photographs.

Comment

• Flowers from No Man's Land

I'm working my way through a book on a WWI 82nd Infrantry soldier. It was written by people in my news beat, so I got a copy and did an article. Interesting stuff, though not my favorite era. Link below for anybody who is curious.

https://www.thechronicleonline.com/c...484f74b0e.html
      "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• The Savage Sword of Conan Volume 19.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain General View Post
            The Savage Sword of Conan Volume 19.
            I think I prefer Cohen the Disc World Barbarian!

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Cohen_the_Barbarian
            Last edited by MarkV; 08 Jun 17, 06:44.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Author did a similar book on WW1. Some great maps here including a map of Tobruk in 1942 with targets and some artillery plans etc etc. All selected from the IWM collection.

Comment

• Gold Braid and Foreign Relations: Diplomatic Activities of U.S. Naval Officers, 1798-1883 by David Long

Fascinating account of over 500 separate cases of United States naval officers engaging in diplomacy. It has about 420 pages of text, a chronology, endnotes, index, 25 black and white maps, and several portraits.

Iíve read almost half and found it to be a very interesting view of U.S. naval officers in this time period.
                To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. - George Santayana

Comment

• I am now reading Coup d'…tat, book 4 in The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove.
                  "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• Bit the bullet and finally bought this book. Expensive but the best technical reference on this tank you'll find in English. Great selection of pictures.

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Occupational Hazards

Occupational Hazards by Rory Stewart

After my recent stints in Iraq I decided to try this book that was collecting dust in my library.
                        Good read and still recognizable 14 years later,

(which actually is not very encouraging

not just re Iraq
                        but of any mission I have been in since Yugoslavia in the nineties.
                        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• The Locomotive of War: Money, Empire, Power and Guilt
                          by Peter Clarke.
                          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Finishing off Volume 4 of the definitive history of the 2nd Tactical Air Force. Day by day coverage as well as featured articles on units, weapons, support units, airfields, personnel and more.

Comment

• I'm reading Iron Tigers by Michael Farmer and Rangers lead the way the first book in the Osprey Raid book series.

Comment

• I am Pilgrim

Thriller: 'I am Pilgrim'.

First five chapters about a murder in NY got me hooked.
                                Later when the book moves into the Arab world (villain obviously is Arabic)
                                I see too many factual errors and inconsistencies, but that is easily forgiven as it is such a page turner
                                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X