Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sharp Ends: Stories From the World of the First Law" by Joe Abercrombie.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Slavery in the Caribbean Francophone world: Distant Voices, Forgotten Acts, Forged Identities by Doris Y. Kadish
      http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...ncophone-world
      The Black Jacobins Toussaint L'Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution by C.L.R. James
      http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...Black_Jacobins
      Last edited by SmackUm; 06 Apr 17, 13:32. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Local histories and the latest Steve Berry book.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Written in Blood: the Story of the Haitian People 1492-1995 by Robert Debs Heinl, Nancy Gordon Heinl, Michael Heinl.
          http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...itten-in-blood

Comment

• "Guns, Germs and Steel" on audiobook.

Quite interesting for armchair generals...Although I must say that I am happy to be listening to it during my commute in my car...I'm not sure I would have been patient or interested enough to read though some stuff, if I actually had the book in my hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
              "Guns, Germs and Steel" on audiobook.

Quite interesting for armchair generals...Although I must say that I am happy to be listening to it during my commute in my car...I'm not sure I would have been patient or interested enough to read though some stuff, if I actually had the book in my hands.

I have the book but havenít started to read it yet. From what I have seen about it Iím not sure that I agree with everything he is saying though.
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Chuck Noll: His Life's Work by Michael MacCambridge

Comment

• Stolen Continents: 500 Years of Conquest and Resistance in the America's by Ronald Wright. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...len_Continents

Comment

• Good English language overview of conflict in China between the world wars. Nice selection of photographs too

Comment

• "Germany Ascendant: The Eastern Front 1915" by Pritt Buttar.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Comment

• Early last week we were in Kalispell, MT visiting kids and grand-daughters and on Monday they were at work and school so we made the rounds of the local used bookstores. It was a bit gray and drizzly that AM and on a rack outside marked "free" were many volumes getting damp. What the heck, did a quick scan and caught the name "Ralph Peters", and it was somewhat sheltered from the rain, so snagged it. Started reading it several days ago and just finished. Very impressed as this is the first of his fiction I've read;

Flames of Heaven -
                          EXCERPT:
                          A novel years ahead of its time, set in the final days of the Soviet Union and heralding the birth of the new Russia, this dark but finally transcendent novel proved controversial when first issued in the United States, but went on to sell out multiple editions in Russia and the states of Eastern Europe, where it was considered the finest and most accurate novel written by anyone about the human tragedies and triumphs at the end of the communist empire. Flames of Heaven follows the intertwined fates of a cynical artist squandering his talent, a failed-idealist veteran of Afghanistan, a stunning Central Asian beauty, and a young woman for whom religious faith is her only certainty. This is one of the enduring novels of our time.
                          https://www.amazon.com/Flames-Heaven...3226745&sr=1-1

Copyrighted about 1993, I was impressed by how well and accurate he captured the essense of that time.
                          Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
                          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                          Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

• The author was a TAG in an Avenger squadron and looks at the complete history of the type's service in the FAA. He also includes stories from veterans of all but one of the FAA squadrons who used the Avenger.

Comment

• Churchill's Wizards. British deception in two world wars
                              Attached Files
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Interesting read as it is one of the few books available in English describing the Italian experience in the Desert War

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X