This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conclave

About to start in Robert Harris' 'Conclave'.

Before I dive in I decided to post this first as he normally keeps me up...
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
      About to start in Robert Harris' 'Conclave'.

Before I dive in I decided to post this first as he normally keeps me up...
      Your endorsement tempts me to add another book to my already high 'to read' stack.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
        Your endorsement tempts me to add another book to my already high 'to read' stack.
        Please do, about half-way now and I'm hooked, line and sinker
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Please do, about half-way now and I'm hooked, line and sinker
          Which of his other books did you like best?

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
            Which of his other books did you like best?
            Officer & a Spy I think I like best.

Runners up:
            Fatherland (very dark)
            Cicero series
            BoRG

Comment

• Just finished China Marine by Eugene Sledge An excellent followup to one of the top ten war memoirs ever written. (With the Old Breed, that is).

I've just started Unknown Soldiers by Vaino Linna, about a Finnish machine gun company in the Continuation War. A promising read so far (about 100 pages in).

You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Officer & a Spy I think I like best.

Runners up:
                Fatherland (very dark)
                Cicero series
                I was thinking Officer and a Spy, thanks.

Comment

• Re reading "das Kapital".
                  Wack tac mac hey.
                  Regards.
                  Grishnak.

Comment

• An article from "The Occasional Number 31, Nov 1997: Amphibious Operations" from the Strategic & Combat Studies Institute. It's by Mark Grove and titled "The Development of Japanese Amphibious Warfare 1874 to 1942". Interesting and has led me to some further reading.

Comment

• Just finished The Edge of Honor. Deutermann did a good job here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056IBFSM...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
                      Skip

Comment

• Submission by Michel Houellebecq. Our fascists, racists, anti-moslems, and other concerned members should read this book to get a bit clearer picture.
                        Wisdom is personal

Comment

• This is a thread I don't see every week

"To kill a mockingbird" by Harper Lee.
                          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                          Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
                            Just finished China Marine by Eugene Sledge An excellent followup to one of the top ten war memoirs ever written. (With the Old Breed, that is).

I've just started Unknown Soldiers by Vaino Linna, about a Finnish machine gun company in the Continuation War. A promising read so far (about 100 pages in).

Unknown soldier is perhaps my favorite war book, and quite different as well. The preceding trilogy "Under the northern star" is worth a read as well, but I doubt it's easy to find even in Finnish.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

• Originally posted by Karri View Post
                              Unknown soldier is perhaps my favorite war book, and quite different as well. The preceding trilogy "Under the northern star" is worth a read as well, but I doubt it's easy to find even in Finnish.
                              Yes, I'm liking it very much so far. I've wanted to get it for ages, but heard the original translation was pretty bad. So when I found out if had been reprinted with a better one, I ordered it straight away.
                              You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

• Also, before China Marine I read Fate is the Hunter, by Ernest Gann, about early commercial aviation in the US (it also covers his war experiences as a transport pilot. Well-recommended.

-- Ataturk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X