This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
    Yes, the idea of too many politicians that because they say it is so, or order it to be done, it can and should.
    You could be up against a brick wall there!
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
      Have you read Alan Furst's books? He has reinvented the espionage genre since Ambler. The Kingdom of Shadows is a good introduction to him.
      Not yet. I have a program of reading through Ambler, Chandler, Hammett and a few others prior to writing my book.

Comment

• Wiktor Tomir Drymmer: W Służbie Polsce [In Polish Service]

Comment

• Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
          Not yet. I have a program of reading through Ambler, Chandler, Hammett and a few others prior to writing my book.
          Furst gets the atmosphere well but he's sometimes a bit sloppy on technical stuff and commits some anachronistic howlers that breaks the spell for anoraks like me.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Furst gets the atmosphere well but he's sometimes a bit sloppy on technical stuff and commits some anachronistic howlers that breaks the spell for anoraks like me.
            I'll keep that in mind. I am mostly interested in the atmosphere and language style of spy/crime novels rather than the factual details. The book I am working on is non-fiction, and deals with a major (but little known) cloak-and-dagger espionage operation but am hoping to write it in a more engaging style than that used in typical academic-level intelligence studies.

Comment

• Phillip Kerr's Berlin Noir trilogy: March Violets; The Pale Criminal; A German Requiem are worth a read. Centered around a Berlin Private Eye from the later 1930s to the early post war years. Bernie Gunther is an Asia Korps veteran who started to make a career in the Berlin police but was forced into resignation and life as a PI, Shades of Phillip Marlow but if you think Marlow had it tough with the local cops and had to go down some mean streets think again. Marlow never had to go undercover in a concentration camp. Do not read any of the later Bernie Gunther novels first, after the success of the first three novels Kerr has milked the character but the first three are genius the later ones are merely good. Kerr unlike Furst really knows his history in fine detail.
              Last edited by MarkV; 04 Mar 17, 05:49.

Comment

• Apropos Chandler there is a short story by Woody Allen called "Mr Big" which is a parody of a Phillip Marlow tale. It starts as do many Chandler stories with the detective being hired by a very attractive female to locate a missing person - to wit God. He considers that finding God in LA could be difficult but takes the case. The story is in a number of anthologies including "Imitations of Immortality" a collection of parodies.

Comment

Apropos Chandler there is a short story by Woody Allen called "Mr Big" which is a parody of a Phillip Marlow tale. It starts as do many Chandler stories with the detective being hired by a very attractive female to locate a missing person - to wit God. He considers that finding God in LA could be difficult but takes the case.
                  Can't be that difficult to find God in LA. After all, Jerry Landers found him and wasn't even looking.

Comment

• Rabbit Redux by John Updike

Said to capture the era quite well.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

• The Strain,Aurelius,Bt 7 ,SS GB and waiting for a history of the Galician SS division.And a too long to list number of free,or very cheap e books for the Amazon Fire my brother bought me last Xmas.Brill present ,I wish I had shelled out for one when they first came out.Can be a bit of a techno phobe at times.
                      Wack tac mac hey.
                      Regards.
                      Grishnak.

Comment

• Picked up again Alexander William Kinglake's multi-volume, "The Invasion of the Crimea: Its Origin & an Account of Its Progress down to the Death of lord Raglan". My purpose this time is for his prose (much like W. Churchill) and his insights. For example (from Volume 2, Part 1):

"But for more than thirty years of his life Lord Raglan had been administering the current business of military offices in peace-time, and this is a kind of experience which, if it be very long protracted, is far from being a good preparative for the command of an army in the field; because a military office in time of peace is impelled by its very constitution to aim at uniformity; and, on the other hand, the genius of war abhors uniformity, and tramples upon forms and regulations."
                        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Its amazing hows closely Lord Raglan mirrors the fictional Lord Rust who appears in many of the Discworld novels. I wsonder if the late Terry Pratchett modelled him on him

Comment

Its amazing hows closely Lord Raglan mirrors the fictional Lord Rust who appears in many of the Discworld novels. I wsonder if the late Terry Pratchett modelled him on him
                            Yes.
                            Wack tac mac hey.
                            Regards.
                            Grishnak.

Comment

• Andrzej Pepłoński, Wywiad Polski na ZSRR 1921-1939 [Polish intelligence against the USSR 1921-1939]

Comment

• Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                                Andrzej Pepłoński, Wywiad Polski na ZSRR 1921-1939 [Polish intelligence against the USSR 1921-1939]

Too much!
                                Wack tac mac hey.
                                Regards.
                                Grishnak.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X