X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
    The Pigeon Tunnel: Stories from My Life, John le Carre

audible version with le Carre reading it. Quite good.
    Recently broadcast by the BBC
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan, by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard..

Good book

Comment

• Murder in the Metro: Laetitia Toureaux and the Cagoule in 1930s France

Came across this mentioned in reference to the activities of the French far right in the 1930s.

Summary from Amazon:
        On the evening of May 16, 1937, the train doors opened at the Porte Dor?e station in the Paris M?tro to reveal a dying woman slumped by a window, an eight-inch stiletto buried to its hilt in her neck. No one witnessed the crime, and the killer left behind little forensic evidence. This first-ever murder in the Paris M?tro dominated the headlines for weeks during the summer of 1937, as journalists and the police slowly uncovered the shocking truth about the victim: a twenty-nine-year-old Italian immigrant, the beautiful and elusive Laetitia Toureaux. Toureaux toiled each day in a factory, but spent her nights working as a spy in the seamy Parisian underworld. Just as the dangerous spy Mata Hari fascinated Parisians of an earlier generation, the mystery of Toureaux's murder held the French public spellbound in pre-war Paris, as the police tried and failed to identify her assassin.
        Have to see how much history will be mixed in with the 'true crime" elements

Article on the subject written by the book's authors
        Murder in the Metro
        Last edited by CarpeDiem; 30 Sep 16, 22:13.

Comment

• Le Carre

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Recently broadcast by the BBC
          Well, I bit, and got:

The Complete George Smiley Radio Dramas: BBC Radio 4 Full-Cast Dramatization Enjoyable.
          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Stonewall In The Valley by Robert G. Tanner.
            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Got my hands on the two volumes of Making for Sweden by Air Research Publications. A comprehensive look at all the Allied aircraft that landed or crashed in Sweden with potted histories of plane and aircrew.

Comment

• America's War for the Greater Middle East; A Military History.

by Andrew J. Bacevich.

Fascinating yet depressing.
                I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

America's War for the Greater Middle East; A Military History.

by Andrew J. Bacevich.

Fascinating yet depressing.
                  Ever since Bacevich, retired military officer, lost his son (a lst Lt) in the Iraq war he has become very critical of US military/policy in the Middle East.
                  Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

The Pigeon Tunnel: Stories from My Life, John le Carre

audible version with le Carre reading it. Quite good.
                    Found the book insightful and gained an appreciation for the depth of the author; I am now re-reading le Carre's books for leads to other authors such as Robert Musil's The Man Without Qualities from le Carre's book, The Secret Pilgrim.

Comment

• "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                      G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                      Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

• Comment

• History of the Florence and Cripple Creek narrow gauge railway, right here in my neighborhood.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Just finished Greatest Naval Blunders. Some thought provoking stuff.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Just finished Greatest Naval Blunders. Some thought provoking stuff.
                              What did you find provocative?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Just finished Greatest Naval Blunders. Some thought provoking stuff.
                                And who thought and who was stuffing whom or what?
                                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X