Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny . 5 books of awesomeness.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

    Comment


    • Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

      Comment




      • Just received the latest volume in Shores et al's masterful history of the air war in the Mediterranean. This volume is the final book in the new series that is a reworking of the classics Fighters Over the Desert and Fighters over Tunisia. The next new volume moves into uncharted territory for this project.

        Comment


        • Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors by James D Hornfischer.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

          Homer


          BoRG

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny . 5 books of awesomeness.
            Did you know that there was once a real Amber, it was the chief fortress of the Sikhs in India ? But I'm pretty sure that Zelazny wrote more than five novels about Corwin and his brother princes.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Did you know that there was once a real Amber, it was the chief fortress of the Sikhs in India ? But I'm pretty sure that Zelazny wrote more than five novels about Corwin and his brother princes.
              I didn't know that.

              There is another 5 book 'trilogy' by Zelazny, The Trumps Of Doom, that I've never read, but have on order.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                I didn't know that.

                There is another 5 book 'trilogy' by Zelazny, The Trumps Of Doom, that I've never read, but have on order.
                I've read the entire canon. The first five are the best but the others are still OK
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                Comment


                • Just finished reading "Quartered Safe Out Here" by George MacDonald Fraser about his experience as a soldier during the Burma Campaign offensive during WW2.

                  Quite interesting read, as he provides a great non-B/S glimpse on a grunt's life on the ground in the Burmese jungle.

                  I would recommend it as a companion book to Field Marshal Viscount Slim's "Defeat into Victory" as a way to have good understanding of Allied actions in Burma during WW2.

                  (As probably most readers here know, George MacDonald Fraser is the author of the Flashman series.)

                  Comment


                  • Also worth reading his three books of short stories based his experiences as a junior officer in a highland regiment in North Africa in 1946. Very funny. Originally published as fiction he subsequently admitted that much of them were autobiographical with some names changed to protect the guilty.
                    They are
                    • The General Danced at Dawn
                    • McAuslan in the Rough
                    • The Sheik and the Dustbin
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                    Comment


                    • Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                      Comment


                      • Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas by John J. Hennessy
                        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

                        Homer


                        BoRG

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                          Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas by John J. Hennessy
                          That is an excellent book.
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                            Just finished reading "Quartered Safe Out Here" by George MacDonald Fraser about his experience as a soldier during the Burma Campaign offensive during WW2.

                            Quite interesting read, as he provides a great non-B/S glimpse on a grunt's life on the ground in the Burmese jungle.

                            I would recommend it as a companion book to Field Marshal Viscount Slim's "Defeat into Victory" as a way to have good understanding of Allied actions in Burma during WW2.

                            (As probably most readers here know, George MacDonald Fraser is the author of the Flashman series.)
                            Have you run across GMF's collection of stories about Private McAuslan which uses situations that GMF with Flashman humor gained from his time in the Gordons Highland battalion? The collection published in three parts: The general Danced at dawn, McAuslan in the Rough, and The sheikh and the Dustbin. Don't miss them.

                            Another poignant war memoir by an author is Farley Mowat's (author of Never Cry Wolf) "And No Birds Sang". Lieutenant Mowat's stories are the battles on Sicily and Rome.
                            Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 22 Aug 16, 13:07.
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                              Have you run across GMF's collection of stories about Private McAuslan which uses situations that GMF with Flashman humor gained from his time in the Gordons Highland battalion? The collection published in three parts: The general Danced at dawn, McAuslan in the Rough, and The sheikh and the Dustbin. Don't miss them.
                              .
                              See my post 3864
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                              Comment


                              • You guys should try The Black Company series. Really good.

                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company
                                Credo quia absurdum.


                                Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X