This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spanish Foreign Legion in the Spanish Civil War, 1936

His previous book The Betrothed of Death: The Spanish Foreign Legion During the Rif Rebellion, 1920-1927 was excellent so I'm looking forward to this one very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
      Looking very interesting indeed, but at such hefty prices
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
        Looking very interesting indeed, but at such hefty prices
        Oh agreed. Took me a long time to find a cheaper second hand copy of the first one and the second was my birthday present to myself

Comment

• Comment

• Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee by Michael Korda.
            "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• "Hunting Che: How a U.S. Special Forces Team Helped Capture the World's Most Famous Revolutionary" by Mitch Weiss and Kevin Maurer.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Che-S...ds=Hunting+Che

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
                : How a U.S. Special Forces Team Helped Capture the World's Most Famous Revolutionary"
                They've caught Garibaldi then? Or perhaps Trotsky or even Lenin
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  They've caught Garibaldi then? Or perhaps Trotsky or even Lenin
                  The events of the book took place in 1967, but Peabody and Sherman probably set the Wayback machine and went to Mexico City or Moscow for an episode.

Comment

• Hannah Arendt: 'Eichmann in Jerusalem'

Chapter VII on the Wannsee Conference in particular has my interest because of the discussion in ACG here.
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
                      The events of the book took place in 1967, but Peabody and Sherman probably set the Wayback machine and went to Mexico City or Moscow for an episode.
                      Not really my point - Che "the World's Most Famous Revolutionary" - bit of hyperbole there
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Not really my point - Che "the World's Most Famous Revolutionary" - bit of hyperbole there
                        Not really. For the 3rd World, right or wrong, he is the most famous revolutionary.
                        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• I have been ramping up on Chinese strategy and currently reading Mark R. McNeilly's "Sun Tzu and The Art of Modern Warfare". He takes a wide view using Sun Tzu's major principles and western use of these principles. I liked his comparison of the Western game of "Chess" with the Eastern "Go".

I have also been reading "The Thirty Strategies of Ancient China", re-reading "Unrestricted Warfare: China's Master Plan to Destroy America", Kaplan's "Asia's Cauldron: The South China Sea and The Ends of a Stable Pacific, and a number of defense articles on the Chinese current concept of Anti-access and Area Denial. My current conclusion is the Chinese have stole the march on us.
                          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            Not really. For the 3rd World, right or wrong, he is the most famous revolutionary.
                            Evidence please - I suspect for instance in China he isn't, possibly the second or even third.

Comment

• Simon Bolivar is hot in places south of here.
                              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                              Hyperwar, Whats New
                              World War II Resources
                              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Evidence please - I suspect for instance in China he isn't, possibly the second or even third.
                                A major figure of the Cuban Revolution, his stylized visage has become a ubiquitous countercultural symbol of rebellion and global insignia in popular culture.
                                Guevara remains both a revered and reviled historical figure, polarized in the collective imagination in a multitude of biographies, memoirs, essays, documentaries, songs, and films. As a result of his perceived martyrdom, poetic invocations for class struggle, and desire to create the consciousness of a "new man" driven by moral rather than material incentives, he has evolved into a quintessential icon of various leftist-inspired movements. Time magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century, while an Alberto Korda photograph of him, titled Guerrillero Heroico , was cited by the Maryland Institute College of Art as "the most famous photograph in the world."
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara

Not popular with me though. A murderous douche bag in my opinion.
                                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X