Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try "Red Platoon" by Clinton Romesha MOH.....An interesting view of what happened at Outpost Keating in Afghanistan in 2009 from "the grunts" point of view....A good follow up to" The Outpost" by Jake Tapper

Comment

• Holy War

Holy War: The Crusades and Their Impact on Today's World
      by Karen Armstrong

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27312.Holy_War
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
        The Gulag Archipelago is on iTunes as an e-book for $7.99. Not sure whether or not it's abridged though. That seems awful cheap considering the length of the book.

12 hours for part one of a four part series speaks unabridged.
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

12 hours for part one of a four part series speaks unabridged.
          Yeah, that's the audiobook. The "reading" one was the one priced at $7.99.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• I just finished reading The Wild Blue by Stephen Ambrose.

A great read for those interested in WW2 air warfare over Europe.

I just started Blood Year by David Kilcullen.

Great insight on the Middle East & Afghan issues by someone who was on the ground.

Comment

• Like Hidden Fire: The Plot to Bring Down the British Empire

Under the banner of a Holy War, masterminded in Berlin and unleashed from Constantinople, the Germans and the Turks set out in 1914 to foment violent revolutionary uprisings against the British in India and the Russians in Central Asia. It was a new and more sinister version of the old Great Game, with world domination as its ultimate aim. As the storm clouds of the First World War loomed, German hawks dreamed of driving the British out of India and creating a vast new Teutonic empire in the East, using their Turkish ally as a springboard. At the same time, Turkey's leaders aimed to free the Muslim peoples of Central Asia from the Tsarist yoke - and rule them themselves as part of a great new Ottoman empire.

The shadowy - and often bloody - struggle that followed was fought out between the intelligence services of King, Kaiser, Sultan, and Tsar. It was to spill over into Persia, Afghanistan, the Caucasus, and Central Asia, and to be felt as far afield as the United States and China.

Here, told in epic detail and for the first time, is the extraordinary story of the Turco-German jihad of the First World War, recounted through the adventures and misadventures of the secret agents and others who took part in it. Pieced together from the secret intelligence reports of the day and the long-forgotten memoirs of the participants, Peter Hopkirk's latest narrative is an enthralling sequel to the acclaimed The Great Game, and his three earlier works set in Central Asia.

It is also highly topical in view of recent events in this volatile region where the Great Game has never really ceased. The rise of Islamic fundamentalism and fears of a resurgent Russia and a reunified Germany add greatly to the significance of this epic tale.

Comment

• Originally posted by OttoHarkaman View Post
                Like Hidden Fire: The Plot to Bring Down the British Empire

Looks interesting, I’ll have to get it.
                Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                  Looks interesting, I’ll have to get it.
                  Yes it is very interesting, lots of things you wouldn't expect. The author pays homage to John Buchan's novel "Greenmantle" 1915 inspiring him to investigate this forgotten aspect of WW1 where the Kaiser was hoping to stir up the Muslim elements of the British Empire, plus other revolutionaries and terrorists.

It has taken me awhile but I am slowly building a library of books concerning Military and Secret Intelligence during WW1. Lots of books I would like to have but they are out of print and many too pricey for me.

Comment

Lots of books I would like to have but they are out of print and many too pricey for me.
                    Hi Otto check with your local library to see if they are setup to get books from other libraries not in your district. I have had very good success getting books I think are too expensive that way and also found some old interesting books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
                      Hi Otto check with your local library to see if they are setup to get books from other libraries not in your district. I have had very good success getting books I think are too expensive that way and also found some old interesting books.
                      Thanks for the suggestion Rock, I have gotten so use to ordering from Amazon I tend to forget the old library.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Rock, I have gotten so use to ordering from Amazon I tend to forget the old library.
                        Amazon is not always the best priced source for out off print stuff. Use Bookfinder which allows you to search through a number of 2nd hand sources including Amazon

BTW that book is by no means the only or first book on the subject

Anthony Wynn Persia in the Great Game
                        Peter Hopkirk On Secret Service East of Constantinople
                        Stewart Blacker On Secret Patrol in High Asia

Just some of many
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          Amazon is not always the best priced source for out off print stuff. Use Bookfinder which allows you to search through a number of 2nd hand sources including Amazon

BTW that book is by no means the only or first book on the subject

Anthony Wynn Persia in the Great Game
                          Peter Hopkirk On Secret Service East of Constantinople
                          Stewart Blacker On Secret Patrol in High Asia

Just some of many
                          Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

• Knights of the Skies Armour Protection for British Fighting Aeroplanes

Publisher blurb:

n June 1940 Billy Drake was shot down in his Hurricane over France. A German cannon shell exploded behind his head, but he survived thanks to a sheet of armour. Had he been shot down a few weeks earlier he would have been killed, because armour was considered ‘unnecessary’; Only a fool would allow himself to shot at from behind said the men at the Air Ministry.

At the start of the First World War armour had also been considered ‘unnecessary’, its weight reduced the performance of the underpowered aircraft too much, but some pilots and squadrons made and fitted their own protection. By 1918 the view of the Air Ministry had changed and it commissioned designs for an armoured ‘Trench Fighter’ that must have a fully armoured cockpit – lessons had been learned, but the price in pilots killed had been high.

Between the wars performance again became the primary concern and the lessons of the First War were forgotten. So it was that the Hurricane squadrons went to France with no rear armour; and no front armour either. Soon every RAF combat aircraft was fitted with armour, saving hundreds of lives.

In this carefully researched book Michael Fox takes the reader through the development of aircraft armour from 1910 to 1945, using the stories of pilots to illustrate how vital it could be. The technology and aircraft design is also examined, with little known aircraft as the ‘Sopwith Salamander’ and ‘Farnborough Ram’ playing an important role.
                            This subject is touched in many aviation histories but it's interesting to read a book that traces the development of armour in the RAF as a whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

Knights of the Skies Armour Protection for British Fighting Aeroplanes

Publisher blurb:

This subject is touched in many aviation histories but it's interesting to read a book that traces the development of armour in the RAF as a whole.
                              Armour was actually being fitted to some RFC aircraft as early as 1915 for example BE2c s used for early contact patrol wotk.
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                                Armour was actually being fitted to some RFC aircraft as early as 1915 for example BE2c s used for early contact patrol wotk.
                                Indeed. Fox covers this in his book as well as even earlier attempts carried out by Lt Col O'Gorman of the Royal Aircraft factory (bullet proof seats for BE2 a. b and c) in 1914 and early one offs from other countries such as the US (Burgess-Dunne SC No36 armoured machine accepted for service in December 1914) A great overview of the evolution of armour in aircraft.
                                The introduction to the book is by GC Billy Drake and includes a picture of him with the recovered armour plate headrest that partially protected him when he was shot down in France in 1940.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X