This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After over 30 years, I finally got another copy of this:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• In The Face of Danger: The History of The Lake Superior Regiment (Motor) 52nd Battalion (C.E.F.) in two Wars 1914- 1918 & 1939- 1945 by George F. G. Stanley

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
        After over 30 years, I finally got another copy of this:

It must have made a good impression on you to hunt another copy down after 30 years!

Comment

• "Hunting the Jackal: A Special Forces and CIA Soldier's Fifty Years on theFrontlines of the War Against Terrorism" by Billy Waugh and Tim Keown

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Jacka...ing+the+Jackal

Comment

• Originally posted by SmackUm View Post
            It must have made a good impression on you to hunt another copy down after 30 years!
            It did and as I told another member here, it has held up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
              "Hunting the Jackal: A Special Forces and CIA Soldier's Fifty Years on theFrontlines of the War Against Terrorism" by Billy Waugh and Tim Keown

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Jacka...ing+the+Jackal
              Recently finished, John Follain's "Jackal: The Complete Story of the Legendary Terrorist, Carlos the Jackal" and found it to be interesting and informative. The author's bibliography lists three pages of French and Foreign Official and Other Documents which supplemented with interviews of officials and players. His books appears to cover most of the secondary works and memoirs. A well done effort that gives insight to behind the headlines that followed Carlos the Jackal.
              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• I'm trying to get a set of the Gulag Archipelago, been doing the audiobook. I can't believe I didn't know about it until recently, just a few years ago.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                  I'm trying to get a set of the Gulag Archipelago, been doing the audiobook. I can't believe I didn't know about it until recently, just a few years ago.
                  Always wanted to read that myself.

The search begins.

Comment

I'm trying to get a set of the Gulag Archipelago, been doing the audiobook. I can't believe I didn't know about it until recently, just a few years ago.
                    I found it by accident in some Finnish used books shop, no idea what it was but bought it, as I recall, since it was the only one in English.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

• Just done a search on bookfinder.com lots of new and 2nd hand copies out there
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I've got that on my bookcase. Been meaning to get to it.
                        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• The Gulag Archipelago is on iTunes as an e-book for $7.99. Not sure whether or not it's abridged though. That seems awful cheap considering the length of the book.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            The Gulag Archipelago is on iTunes as an e-book for $7.99. Not sure whether or not it's abridged though. That seems awful cheap considering the length of the book.
                            Probably Vol 1.
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                              Probably Vol 1.
                              I think you're right.

Comment

• I remember when it first came out in English a volume at a time. I read it by the time I got to the end of volume 2 the misery was so relentless I felt depressed and very nearly didn't get volume 3.

BTW did you know its about 5% more pages in the German translation than the English one?. Does this say some thing about the relative conciseness of English over German?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X