This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished Apostle: Travels Among the Tombs of the Twelve by Tom Bissell
    As a doubter trying to define my religious beliefs, this was a very interesting travelogue about finding the tombs where the Apostles lie buried but also about the very beginnings of Christianity and how the church has evolved.
    Homo homini lupus

Comment

• Which particular church? There are so many Orthodox, Catholic, Coptic, Episcopal, to name but a few.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Tenaru River 20-21AUG42

I just finished reading Victory Fever on Guadalcanal by William H. Bartsch. I thoroughly enjoyed the intricately researched minute-by-minute breakdown of both the USMC and IJA dispositions as well as the insights and observations of the men who were there.
        My dad being one of them.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Which particular church? There are so many Orthodox, Catholic, Coptic, Episcopal, to name but a few.
          Sorry, Mark, I never checked this page until now. The very early church, what the author calls Jewish Christians, Greek Christians, then later Catholic and Orthodox, those who perpetuated the stories and myths of the 12 Apostles and the stories of those who were martyred, etc. The author admits at the beginning that he is an atheist, so he looks at the stories from a historical background rather than a religious viewpoint.
          Homo homini lupus

Comment

• Have wanted to read this for a long time. Have read a couple of Tardi's other comics/graphic novels and they were fantastic.
            "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
            G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
            Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

• Low brow. Try this on for size...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...egant-universe
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• I am currently listening to Max Hastings' "Catastrophe" which is about the first year of the Great War. I am a big fan of him and this book is great. I like the fact that he throws his opinions into his history books and he usually makes sense. Boy is he brutal towards the BEF in general and Gen. French in particular. There are many moments in the book where you shake your head at how incredibly ludicrous some of the leaders were.

Comment

• Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                  I am currently listening to Max Hastings' "Catastrophe" which is about the first year of the Great War. I am a big fan of him and this book is great. I like the fact that he throws his opinions into his history books and he usually makes sense. Boy is he brutal towards the BEF in general and Gen. French in particular. There are many moments in the book where you shake your head at how incredibly ludicrous some of the leaders were.
                  Unfortunately he is extremely poor at providing primary references and sources. Good broadcaster p*is poor historian
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• The Man Called Brown Condor: The Forgotten History of an African American Fighter Pilot

Publisher blurb:
                      In this gripping, never-before-told tale, biographer Thomas E. Simmons brings to life the true story of John C. Robinson, who rose from fraught and humble beginnings as a black child in segregated Mississippi to outstanding success. He became a pilot and an expert in building and assembling his own working aircraft; he also helped to establish a school of aviation at the Tuskegee Institute (there would have been no Tuskegee Airmen without him), and his courageous wartime service in Ethiopia during the Italian invasion in 1935 won him international fame.

During Robinson’s service to Ethiopia, he took to the air to combat the first Fascist invasion of what would become World War II. This remarkable hero may have been the first American to oppose Fascism in combat. When Ethiopia was freed by British troops during World War II, Haile Selassie asked Robinson to return to Ethiopia to help reestablish the Ethiopian Air Force. For Robinson and the five men he picked to go with him, just getting to Ethiopia in wartime 1944 was an adventure in and of itself.

Featuring thirty-five black-and-white photographs and based on twenty-three years’ worth of original research when very little information on this remarkable American hero was available, The Man Called Brown Condor is more than just a biography of an unfairly forgotten African American pilot; this book provides insight on racial conditions in the first half of the twentieth century and illustrates the political intrigue within a League of Nations afraid to face the rise of Fascism.
                      Interesting look at a man who lived a life that involved many challenges.

Comment

• Still reading The Elegant Universe. Its a hard book for someone into mechanical engineering... Crazy, but informative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elegant_Universe
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          Unfortunately he is extremely poor at providing primary references and sources. Good broadcaster p*is poor historian
                          Not sure about that, Catastrophe has quite a comprehensive bibliography,which one of the yardsticks I use to assess the worth of such a work ( that and the number of maps included).

He was certainly correct about the first BEF commander.
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                            Not sure about that, Catastrophe has quite a comprehensive bibliography,.
                            Secondary sources

Comment

• Reading Robert Jervis "Why Intelligence Fails: Lessons from the Iranian Revolution and the Iraq War". He lowers one's expectation for intelligence analysts, intelligence organizational culture, and decision-makers.
                              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Rereading Joshua Sanborn's Imperial Apocalypse: The Great War and the Destruction of the Russian Empire, with a focus on refugee crises, especially the one caused by the Great Retreat.

https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...cc=us&lang=en&
                                Last edited by The Ibis; 31 May 16, 20:19.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X