This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a copy of Air Britain's latest book
    Truculent Tribes and Turbulent Skies The RAF in the Near and Middle East 1919-1939

Book synopsis:
    In 1920 the fledgling Royal Air Force was tasked with enforcing British rule in Mesopotamia, an area roughly corresponding to modern-day Iraq and Kuwait. This tough assignment involved flying in extreme climate - sometimes over perilous terrain - dealing with tribes that were often hostile, and struggling to keep inadequate aircraft and vehicles operational.

The RAF succeeded, and it is arguable that its dedication ensured that Britain continued to have an independent air force at a time when defence spending was being savagely cut.

This book covers not only Mesopotamia, but the whole of the Middle East, Egypt and East Africa. It includes the RAFís support for the pioneer long-distance flyers and early airline services.

The feature of Vic Flinthamís work we are confident will delight even the best-informed students of RAF history is the photographs. There are more than 560 of them. Hardly any have appeared in print before. Most are of astonishing quality.

Comment

• As an accompaniment to the above book can I recommend
      The Luck of the Devil (1985) which is volume one of the memoirs of Air Vice-Marshal Tony Dudgeon. It covers flying in the Middle East (including Iraq and Egypt pre war and in the early part of the war and includes details of operations over the North West frontier, the defence of Habbaniya against a German backed Iraqi army by a motley collection of training aircraft (with Airspeed Oxfords carrying out dive bombing and close support and Hawker Demons and Furies taking on German Me110s.) and route proving for long distance flights across the desert
      Last edited by MarkV; 09 Mar 16, 04:42.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Local history and narrow gauge railroad history. Otherwise, I'm working on the new Brad Meltzer novel.

Just got six books from the library - that's one week's worth of reading for me.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Just ordered this one and can't wait to get into it... how sad's that!!!???

The long toll of the brave
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
            Just ordered this one and can't wait to get into it... how sad's that!!!???

Any Knights that say Ni lurking in the shrubbery in it?
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Any Knights that say Ni lurking in the shrubbery in it?
              Book's arrived, I shall be reading it... in the passing of a Knight!

I'll just get me coat.

Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Comprehensive history of the type. It would be hard to see how it could be bettered. Goes very in depth into the engineering issues the aircraft faced as well as looking at the operational side.

Comment

• The Ancient Greeks by Edith Hall

Not the standard book on ancient Greeks which narrows down to classical Athens and Sparta
                  but giving due attention to the whole period stretching from the Minoans to the early Christian Greeks.
                  Her witty mastery of the subject radiates off the book.
                  I thought I knew my ancient Greece but her way of bringing Greeks to life has made me thirsty for more
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Into The Jaws of Death: British Military Blunders 1879-1900 by Lt Col Mike Snook.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• First read this as a little lad, enjoying it just as much this time round...

Is not lost in darkness
                      Over the fruitful earth
                      And athwart the seas
                      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Hard Tack and Coffee: The Unwritten Story of Army Life (1887) by John D. Billings.

One of the few memoir written by an enlisted soldier of the American Civil War. It's both humorous and informative and well worth reading.

Comment

• An amusing little tome I picked up in a 2nd hand shop on Thursday. Published in 1917 it's called A Diary of the Great Warr by Samuel Pepys Jnr and purports to be the history of the war as contained in Pepys diary. It is printed in late 17th century fashion and is bound in the same style and contains the same spelling and type face as then. The original 1918 sales receipt from Harrods was in-between two of the pages.

A pleasant conceit - especially as it's very rude about Lloyd George

Comment

• Originally posted by McMax View Post
                            Hard Tack and Coffee: The Unwritten Story of Army Life (1887) by John D. Billings.

One of the few memoir written by an enlisted soldier of the American Civil War. It's both humorous and informative and well worth reading.
                            An essential book if you're reading about the ACW. Great choice.
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• A little light reading, The Elegant Universe.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...egant-universe

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• I'faith Sir, surely 'tis an exceeding inelegant universe in which we live. Great clouds of interstellar dust do impede the view in divers directions and the place is littered with black holes into which the unwary traveller may fall. There are vasty masses of dark matter the source of which no man doth know dumped everywhere willy nilly. Complaints to the landlord do go unanswered.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X