Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a worn paperback copy of this in the book bin at the hospital. Excellent so far.

AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• The Hidden Perspective The Military Conversations 1906-1914’ by David Owen

Recent books like Margaret Macmillan’s “The War That Ended Peace” and Christopher Clark’s “The Sleepwalkers” have covered the August 1914 cataclysm seemingly from every possible angle: dynastic, political, diplomatic, military and strategic. Yet David Owen, a former British foreign secretary, believes they have underestimated the vital role played by the British and French general staffs and the secret conversations between them that had been taking place for a full eight years before the war broke out.
      Wrote an essay as part of my MA on the same subject using original British and French Sources - want to see how close I came.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Originally posted by leandros View Post
        Cool subject!

Fred
        Thanks Fred... I am presently reading some books by Tim Cook on World War I At the Sharp End 1914- 16 and Shock Troops 1917-18.
        http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/319828.Tim_Cook

Cheers, Patrick
        Last edited by SmackUm; 25 Feb 16, 13:09.

Comment

• Glory in Chaos: The RAAF in the Far East 1940-1942 by ER Hall.

I've seen this book referenced in many recent histories and was finally able to find a copy at a not too crazy price. Very in depth look on the subject and I appreciate the attention made to all members of the RAAF including ground crews and support staff.

Comment

• Armour Against Fate - British Military Intelligence in the First World War. Michael Occleshaw
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Armour Against Fate - British Military Intelligence in the First World War. Michael Occleshaw
              Sound's like an excellent title for a World War 1 book... I'm currently working on Vimy by Pierre Berton...

Cheers, Patrick

Comment

• Originally posted by SmackUm View Post
                Sound's like an excellent title for a World War 1 book... I'm currently working on Vimy by Pierre Berton...

Cheers, Patrick
                Was at Vimy two years ago as part of a Birmingham University Field Trip. Lots of young Canadian volunteer guides there -irrepressibly cheerful, scrubbed, and incredibly eager - was almost afraid they would try and convert me to mormonism! Unfortunately we were a load of old, jaundiced and cynical British historians.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Currently I’m reading two (more) books;
                  X-PLANES GREAT TEST PILOTS TELL THEIR STORIES
                  and
                  Churchill's Trial: Winston Churchill and the Salvation of Free Government
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                    Churchill's Trial: Winston Churchill and the Salvation of Free Government
                    I thought De Gaulle was Churchill's trial "Every man has his cross to bear — and mine is the cross of Lorraine"

Comment

I thought De Gaulle was Churchill's trial "Every man has his cross to bear — and mine is the cross of Lorraine"
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Found it in a charity shop for £3 and after the recent Falklands thread piqued my interest, thought why not.
                        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                        G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Was at Vimy two years ago as part of a Birmingham University Field Trip. Lots of young Canadian volunteer guides there -irrepressibly cheerful, scrubbed, and incredibly eager - was almost afraid they would try and convert me to mormonism! Unfortunately we were a load of old, jaundiced and cynical British historians.
                          Have you visited Passchendaele?... I just finished reading Passchendaele "Canada's Triumph & Tragedy on the fields of Flanders" by Norman Leach.
                          An interesting read not too long with good maps, and photos.
                          A fellow from the 52 battalion was there O' Kelly, Christopher, Patrick, John Lt (A Captain) Victoria Cross. http://52ndbattalion.com/52nd.php?pg=8
                          I imagine that the poppies will be in bloom soon at Flanders my aunt on Vancouver Island probably has roses blooming by now we on the other hand have snow as usual for this time of the year.

Nice photos & thanks for sharing MarkV....

Cheers, Patrick
                          Last edited by SmackUm; 07 Mar 16, 10:40.

Comment

Mormonism?

Comment

• Originally posted by SmackUm View Post
                              Have you visited Passchendaele?... I just finished reading Passchendaele "Canada's Triumph & Tragedy on the fields of Flanders" by Norman Leach.
                              An interesting read not too long with good maps, and photos.
                              A fellow from the 52 battalion was there O' Kelly, Christopher, Patrick, John Lt (A Captain) Victoria Cross. http://52ndbattalion.com/52nd.php?pg=8
                              I imagine that the poppies will be in bloom soon at Flanders my aunt on Vancouver Island probably has roses blooming by now we on the other hand have snow as usual for this time of the year.

Nice photos & thanks for sharing MarkV....

Cheers, Patrick
                              I have indeed visited the Menin Road, Passchendaele and all the other 3rd Ypres battlefields. I find Gary Sheffield's book on 3rd Ypres the best. The museum at Passchendaele is well worth a visit and the Tyne Cott cemetery is sobering, especially if you visit it as I last did on a cold November evening at sunset. On a more cheerful note the Passchendaele brewery was rebuilt and is still turning out an acceptable lager

Comment

I have indeed visited the Menin Road, Passchendaele and all the other 3rd Ypres battlefields. I find Gary Sheffield's book on 3rd Ypres the best. The museum at Passchendaele is well worth a visit and the Tyne Cott cemetery is sobering, especially if you visit it as I last did on a cold November evening at sunset. On a more cheerful note the Passchendaele brewery was rebuilt and is still turning out an acceptable lager
                                Thanks MarkV ... I would believe that the Tyne Cott Cemetery is something to see maybe I'll get to see it one day with my cousin in London, England.

Regards, Patrick

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X