Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Killer of Men' by Christian Cameron, a book I picked up in a junk shop on holiday last week, a sword and sandal yarn to read on the beach. What I've found here has turned out to be a diamond, couldn't put it down, after the first couple of pages. Good news is it's part of a trilogy called 'The Long War'... so now I've got two more to have a pop at!

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Reading Aldous Huxley's Grey Eminence on the Capuchin monk, Francois Leclerc du Trembley, who was Cardinal Richelieu's [the Red Eminence] right hand man. Huxley wrote a masterfully erudite biography with insights to religion and politics at the time as well as the monk.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Good book, well documented.

Comment

• The Martian-it is the book that Matt Damien's new movie is based on.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Current reading

I am currently reading:

Latvians in the Ordnungspolizei and Waffen SS by Rolf Michaelis

and

The Survivors of the Kurland Pocket 1944-1945 by Richard Wade

Comment

• The Great Anglo-Boer War by Byron Farwell.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• The RAAF Hudson Story Book 2

Read Book One a couple of months ago and now getting around to book 2. Details actions over Java in 1942 which is an area of particular interest to me. Detail of these two books is breathtaking. It would be hard to see how the subject could be covered better.

and on a lighter note, one of my favourite fiction writers has a new book out:

Comment

• Still reading Stephen Hunter fiction for change of pace and pleasure readings. Just finished in other areas of interest, Michael Pillsbury's "The Hundred-Year marathon: China's Secret Strategy to replace America as the Global Superpower". I now fully understand the Chinese strategy in context of China's history since 1949. If you read Colonels Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui's "Unrestricted Warfare: China's Master Plan to Destroy America", you will understand the means and what they will attack.

Based on the books, I believe we are already at war with China. We don't know it.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                    . Just finished in other areas of interest, Michael Pillsbury's "The Hundred-Year marathon: China's Secret Strategy to replace America as the Global Superpower". I now fully understand the Chinese strategy in context of China's history since 1949. If you read Colonels Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui's "Unrestricted Warfare: China's Master Plan to Destroy America", you will understand the means and what they will attack.

Based on the books, I believe we are already at war with China. We don't know it.
                    Hi R.N. please elaborate. This sounds extremly interesting.

Comment

• Mark Twain once observed, "If I had more time it would be shorter."

The two books are loaded with developmental depth in strategy and the Unrestricted warfare book explains a large range of emerging threats, means, targets and ends.

You can get on line a Military Review article, "Threat Kingdom" Jul-Aug 2000 that illustrates text mining using the Unrestricted Warfare book: http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/doc...eatkingdom.htm The article is 13 printed pages, even that would be a challenge to reduce to something short and meaningful.

Comment

• I'm taking a trip down memory lane and reading about the making of the movie quadrophenia.
                        The film had quite an influence in me becoming a part of the mod revival subculture

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445219782.783354.jpg

Comment

• The Girl in the Spider's Web.

Comment

• Just finished in change of pace reading, "The Martian" by Andy Weir, I could not put the book down. It's a slight blind of the movies, "Castaway" and "Fight of the Phoenix" with something for 'preppers'. Great story line and action. I put it with my favorite SciFi: Blade Runner and Starship Troopers (the book). I'm waiting for Damon's movie to see how Hollywood handles this great, imaginative storyline.

Comment

• Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
                              "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern May 7-12, 1864 by Gordon C. Rhea.
                                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X