Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started reading "Troop Leader" by Bill Bellamy. It's a twenty year old Hussar's story of landing in Normandy and fighting his way into the black heart of nazi Germany... good read, I thoroughly recommend it.

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Just finished reading 'The Secret tour', by Tyler Hamilton. Tyler was one of the key members of Lance Armstrong's US Postal cycling team and helped him win 3 tour De France's. Whilst being doped to the Eyeballs of course. The book is at once fascinating in its description of the tour and how exactly the drug cheats got away with it for so long. Its on the self serving side, and Hamilton is only sorry because he got caught, so he is an interesting, but not sympathetic figure, more of an interesting story. The last three chapters go downhill as he really get stuck into what a bad, evil character Lance Armstrong is. He paints an interesting and sympathetic picture of another drug cheat Floyd Landis, a guy who I never really liked ,Landis had none of the good looks or media presence of Armstrong, or the charm of pantani, just a tough little nugget of a rider. A good read for anyone looking for a change of pace from Mil Hist.

One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
      Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

• Stephen Hunter's storytelling has grabbed me; I finished his "The Third Bullet", "I, Ripper", and I am into his "The 47th Samurai" enjoying it immensely.
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
          Stephen Hunter's storytelling has grabbed me; I finished his "The Third Bullet", "I, Ripper", and I am into his "The 47th Samurai" enjoying it immensely.
          Such praise coming from you Rick, this definitely deserves a closer look
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Furies et Crocodiles : Morane au combat dans la Bataille de France. Le GC III/7

Interesting study of an average French fighter unit in the battle of France. GCIII/7 wasn't an top fighter squadron but this book does a great job relating their struggle. Lots of interesting pictures too.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

Furies et Crocodiles : Morane au combat dans la Bataille de France. Le GC III/7

Interesting study of an average French fighter unit in the battle of France. GCIII/7 wasn't an top fighter squadron but this book does a great job relating their struggle. Lots of interesting pictures too.
              Looks good CD, is it available in English.

The long toll of the brave
              Is not lost in darkness
              Over the fruitful earth
              And athwart the seas
              Hath passed the light of noble deeds
              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Looks good CD, is it available in English.

Unfortunately not!

Comment

• "Legend a harrowing story from The Vietnam War of one Green Beret's heroic mission to rescue a special forces team caught behind enemy lines" by Eric Blehm.

I highly recommend. Extremely intense.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Harrowi...s=legend+blehm

Comment

• The Last King of Poland by Adam Zamoyski..so far, very good book
                    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                    "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Amazon to Ivanhoe: British Standard Destroyers of the 1930s

Comment

• Just finished Stephen Hunter's "I, Sniper" with a detailed waterboarding scene, if you want more insight than standing under a shower with a wash cloth on your face.
                        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Just received the above collection of essays.

GENESIS, EMPLOYMENT, AFTERMATH: FIRST WORLD WAR TANKS AND THE NEW WARFARE, 1900-1945

Table of contents:

1 GENESIS Images of War, Armament and Mechanization in Imperial Germany, 1880-1914
                          Markus Pöhlmann

2 BRITAIN Practical Considerations in British Tank Operations on the Western Front, 1916-1918
                          Bryn Hammond

3 FRANCE The Development of French Tank Warfare on the Western Front, 1916-1918
                          Olivier Lahaie

4 GERMANY From the Bremerwagen to the A7V: German Tank Production and Armoured Warfare, 1916-1918
                          Ralf Raths

5 INTELLIGENCE Scouting for Brigands: British Tank Corps Reconnaissance and Intelligence, 1916-1918
                          Jim Beach

6 COMMUNICATIONS The Development of Tank Communications in the British Expeditionary Force, 1916-1918
                          Brian N. Hall

7 OTHER THEATRES Beyond the Western Front: Tanks in Palestine and Russia, 1916-1921
                          Steven J. Main & Alaric Searle

8 MASS PRODUCTION ‘A Charming Toy’: The Surprisingly Long Life of the Renault Light Tank, 1917-1940
                          Tim Gale

9 AFTERMATH The Battle of Cambrai: Reactions, Commemoration and Symbolism, 1917-1942
                          Alaric Searle

Comment

• The Battle of the Wilderness by Gordon Rhea.
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Tells the story of a US army platoon in Italy during WW2.
                              From what i have already read,very good.
                              That rug really tied the room together

Comment

• Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post

Tells the story of a US army platoon in Italy during WW2.
                                From what i have already read,very good.
                                Intriguing, especially if you say so!
                                Even the dark cover intrigues
                                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X