This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
    I am currently reading Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.
    I had two fiction books with me 26 years ago when I entered infantry officer training, this was one of them.
    Looking back I find it formative for that period.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
      I had two fiction books with me 26 years ago when I entered infantry officer training, this was one of them.
      Looking back I find it formative for that period.
      It has been recommended reading in the USMC for leadership.
      Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• I am reading "Hitler's Furies" German Women In the Nazi Killing Fields by Wendy Lower...
        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• The Republic: The Fight For Irish Independence
          By Charles Townshend

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
            It has been recommended reading in the USMC for leadership.
            For good reason I can testify
            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Just started Hitler's Spy Chief; The Wilhelm Canaris Mystery by Richard Bassett..he definitely was/is a hard egg to crack..
              "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
              "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Generally, I mix reading two or three books: one is a military history for research, a novel for change of pace, and a third book in history or other interested subject matter. Currently, I am reading a translation of Boris Sokolov's, "Marshal K.K. Rokossovsky: The Red Army's Gentleman Commander" (issues with source citations for verification), re-reading Alan Furst's "Midnight in Europe" (read all in his series, thoroughly enjoy his atmospheric writing), and for the other subject matter reading Georges B.J. Dreyfus's "The Sound of Two hands Clapping: The Education of a Tibetan Buddhist Monk" (studying the reasoning behind Tibetan monk debating techniques).

Comment

• The New Spymasters by Stephen Grey. Halfway through. Very very informative. An in depth narrative and analysis of HUMINT. History plus lessons learned in the past.

Comment

• I just started reading Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad by David Zucchino.
                    "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• For change of pace reading, I am into Stephen Hunter's The Third Bullet. I cannot put it down. In addition to an intriguing fictional investigation on the Kennedy assassination, the author uses clever storytelling to move along the plot line.

Comment

• I just started re-reading my stack of MHQ from Summer 2012 forward. I'll drop them at the coffee shop as I finish.

AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Six Frigates by Ian Toll.
                          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Immersing myself again in Grant and reading them at the same time for comparison:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Martin's History of The Iron Throne and the Seven Kingdoms, which is the complete backstory of the books including the origin of the dragons, the Wall, etc.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• "Operation Shakespeare The True Story of an International Sting" by John Shiffman

http://www.amazon.com/Operation-Shak...on+shakespeare

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X