Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• This thread.

Comment

• Anathem.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2845024-anathem

Captivating. As most of his books are...
        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Call the life boats by Ray Kipling.
          The story of the RNLI, royal national lifeboat institute, a volunteer organisation that has saved thousands. It's based from the 70's onwards from when the RNLI was modernised after financial difficulties. It relies on donations to exist. A fascinating book with some descriptions of outstanding bravery and rescues as well as some sad ones too. Mix in the humour you would expect from the communities that volunteers come from, and you get a good read..
          I award it 7/10 honey badger points

Comment

• Just started Sven Hassel's "Legion of the Damned". Have high hopes. Also almost done with "The Last of the Tin Can Sailors" about the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Very interesting. You could not make that stuff up. Mankind will never see anything like that ever again.

Comment

• Comment

• I'm finishing Potsdam Station, by David Downing. Well written and interesting; he also clearly read a lot of memoirs of people who really lived in Nazi Germany at the time. I have already read other books in the "Berlin Stations" series and I recommend them.
                Michele

Comment

• An Officer's Manual of the Western Front 1914-1918

It's an abridged compilation of materials published from 1914-1918, intended to be read by officers and servicemen at the time.

Interesting to see the progression in doctrine as theories were disproved and new techniques developed.

Comment

• Nothing Less Than War: A New History of America's Entry into World War I (Studies in Conflict, Diplomacy and Peace) by Justus D. Doenecke
                    I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Hi

Well for research on behalf of an authors forthcoming book:-
                      American Empire by Andrew Bacevich

For a book review:-
                      The War in East Africa by Grehan & Mace
                      Holocaust versus Wehrmacht by Yaron Pasher

For relaxation:-
                      GCHQ by Aldrich

Regards

Andy H
                      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• A series of histories covering the mining and ghost towns of the Colorado Rockies. Some of them include excerpts from newspaper articles written locally at the time, and interviews with those who were there.
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Reading Ralph Peters' latest Civil War novel, Valley of the Shadow, which covers the attempted Confederate raid on Washington DC and the battle of Cedar Creek. He continues his power to place one in the battle action and put flesh on historical figures.
                                Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X