Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The soldiers wars by Martin Archer. Five books starting in the Korean War, soldiers and marines, in the period after Korea, peace and conflict, a war in Europe against soviet led Warsaw Pact, war begins. Then a war between Russia and China, war in the east followed by Israel at war with Syria, Iraq and Iran, the Islamic war.
    All the books are linked and the main character gets a battlefield commission in book one and over the next 40 years ends up as secretary of defender after being NATO commander.
    Not a bad read really and the last book has quite a novel solution for the Middle East in it that I liked.

However the actual book I'm reading right now is
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424146718.444906.jpg
    And it's quite a fascinating book about the start of bow street magistrates and the now street runners, the forebears of the police in Britain

Comment

• Black May: The Epic Story of the Allies' Defeat of the German U-Boats in May 1943 by Michael Gannon

http://www.amazon.com/Black-May-Alli.../dp/1591143047
      Skip

Comment

• "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston.

It's very frightening, and it's non-fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Zone-Terri...words=hot+zone

Comment

• The World of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.

A history of the Game of Thrones world.

Very cool!
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
            "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston.

It's very frightening, and it's non-fiction.
            I read that a few years back, very good book. As a suggestion, if you like "The Hot Zone" and haven't read it yet, try "Darwin's Radio" as well.

Comment

• German Armored Trains 1904-1945 by Wolfgang Sawodny.

Dense and covers the minutest of details (if you ever wondered how many carrier pigeons the average German armored train was detailed to carry in 1919 the answer is here for you: 6).
              Looks at the technical, organizational and operational aspects of these war machines. Also touches on Polish, Russian, French, British and Italian armored trains.
              Comprehensive and worth every penny if it's a topic you have interest in.

Comment

• The Military Experience in the Age of Reason by Christopher Duffy.
                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Today I bought "The German revolution" by H. Powys Greenwood. Have anyone read it? What do you think?
                    Time is inside of us and we are inside time. It turns us and we turn It.
                    Vasil Levski

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...91#post2139891

Comment

• Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

- slow burner but interesting....

and

Writing Irish history: the Four Masters and their world
                      Edited by Bernadette Cunningham and Edel Bhreathnach

Very interesting!
                      http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

• From the Amazon description:
                        This book is a history of Irish National Army coastal landings, many of which have been previously unreported in histories of the Irish Civil War, that were carried out against Republican forces from July through December 1922. It provides details on each of the landings to include specific landing sites, the ships used to transport the troops, the number of troops, armoured cars and artillery involved, casualties, major personalities who participated, and objectives achieved. In addition to period photographs of the ships, equipment and troops involved, the text is also supported by comparative 'then and now' photographs of most of the landing sites. The book also includes, for the first time ever, superb scale drawings of all of the ships involved in the landings. A rarely documented aspect of 20th century Irish military history. Mushroom Model Publications feature superb scale plans, illustrations of camouflage and markings, walk-around modern photographs and rare black and white archive photographs.

Interwar history is my main area of study and I've been on an Irish Civil War jag for the last year. This book is very specific, very detailed and not everyone's cup of tea but is right up my alley.

Comment

• Reading Matt Beynon Rhees' second mystery, "A Grave in Gaza", in a series taking place in Palestine. The first two books, based on actual events, have given tremendous insight to the factionalism and corruption in Palestinian government and security forces.
                          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• The Last Ship

A US Navy destroyer is patrolling in the Barents when it receives the launch codes to fire its missiles at Russia. Communication is lost with US Navy command and it emerges that targets all over Europe have been nuked. The crew may be the last survivng human beings. Where do they go and what do they do? That is the subject of this superb book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Ship-.../dp/0142181439
                            Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

• Recently moved and in moving found my old copy of Vietnam Diary by Richard Tregaskis. I probably read it years ago, but I don't remember much about it. Time period is October 1962 through January 1963. When American troop strength is less than 15,000

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X