X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
    Marcel Proust's la recherche du temps perdu

It makes me feel like a real French badass for reading this grand classic at all
    Although I've never read Proust, I've got to believe it's more interesting than Skoblin's tank manuals written in Russian.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• "Stories From the Secret War - CIA Special Ops in Laos" by Terrence Burke.

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Secret...rry+Burke+Laos

Comment

• Scorched Earth, Black Snow by Andrew Salmon, a former poster here. It's about the 27th Infantry Brigade in the Korean War during 1950.
        http://www.amazon.com/Scorched-Earth.../dp/1845136195

Comment

• ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
            Marcel Proust's la recherche du temps perdu

It makes me feel like a real French badass for reading this grand classic at all
            So you should, too ----

And here is another badass, the sniper assassin in Lincoln Child's "Utopia," about a futuristic amusement park by that name. The sniper, hired to wait for days outside in the cliffs waiting for a call that his target would appear, had gotten into the habit of bringing along reading material. He didn't see the point of short books, he thought --- why go to the trouble of getting into people's minds and lives if it was over so soon? So he only picked long books, and he was reading "Remembrance of Things Past" because it was seven volumes long..........

Good choice, he though. Nice and long. [:-)

Comment

• Iron Curtain: The crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956 by Anne Applebaum

Comment

• Originally posted by Phebe View Post
                So you should, too ----

And here is another badass, the sniper assassin in Lincoln Child's "Utopia," about a futuristic amusement park by that name. The sniper, hired to wait for days outside in the cliffs waiting for a call that his target would appear, had gotten into the habit of bringing along reading material. He didn't see the point of short books, he thought --- why go to the trouble of getting into people's minds and lives if it was over so soon? So he only picked long books, and he was reading "Remembrance of Things Past" because it was seven volumes long..........

Good choice, he though. Nice and long. [:-)
                One reason I used the word 'badass' is exactly the long read
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• A Road We Do Not Know: A Novel of Custer at the Little Big Horn by Frederick Chiaventone.

This is an excellent book written in "The Killer Angels" style.

Second time I've read it.
                  "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Co. Aytch

Had to read this again before I send it to a pal...
                    Attached Files
                    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you dont shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

• Turning Point: Recollections of Russian participants and witnesses of the Stalingrad battle

To balance out some of the other accounts I've read recently.

Comment

• Good read that directly relates to the mideast today..
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Balfour's Poodle. by Roy Jennkins.

My second read of it in the audible book version.

below excerpt from Amazon.
                          Jenkins' account of the constitutional struggle between the Liberal government of the early twentieth century and the House of Lords. The battle started with the introduction of the People's Budget of 1909 and continued through two general elections until 1911 when the Lords accepted the Parliament bill.
                          I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• `
                            About to crack open The Nuremberg Raid 30-31 March 1944 by Martin Middlebrook

http://www.amazon.com/Nuremberg-Raid...4066324&sr=1-2
                            " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge.
                              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• I've just started to read A Wilderness So Immense: The Louisiana Purchase and the Destiny of America by Jon Kukla. I first read this ten years ago and it is a very good book on this subject.
                                To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. - George Santayana

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X