Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a note of Stanley Loomis' work, Paris in Terror .

I finally got Tooze's The Deluge and started it the other night.

Just finished The Sleep Walkers by C. Clark, and that was excellent.

Oh, and Sahib is wonderful. As are all of his books. I first heard of Sahib when I found a podcast on the National Archives (UK) Podcast years ago where he, Richard Holmes, gave a great talk circa 2005 or 06 but unfortunately the audio on it was poor but listenable. One can find it on their site.
    Last edited by ktnbs; 22 Dec 14, 20:53.
    I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific 1941-1942 by Ian Toll.
      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
        I made a note of Stanley Loomis' work, Paris in Terror .

I finally got Tooze's The Deluge and started it the other night.

Just finished The Sleep Walkers by C. Clark, and that was excellent.

Oh, and Sahib is wonderful. As are all of his books. I first heard of Sahib when I found a podcast on the National Archives (UK) Podcast years ago where he, Richard Holmes, gave a great talk circa 2005 or 06 but unfortunately the audio on it was poor but listenable. One can find it on their site.
        I really enjoyed Sahib. I'm planning on picking up Tommy and Redcoat soon.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• `
          The Making of the President 1972 - by Theodore H. White
          " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• Tommy: The British Soldier on the Western Front 1914-1918 by Richard Holmes.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• The Confederate War by Gary W. Gallagher
              "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

• Cartoons by Charlie Hebdo
                One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

Comment

• Here's the next book on my list. Hope to start reading this book this weekend.

"The Race Against the Stasi: The Incredible Story of Dieter Wiedemann, The Iron Curtain and The Greatest Cycling Race on Earth" by Herbie Sykes

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Against-S...inst+the+Stasi

Comment

• Fire and Movement: The British Expeditionary Force and the Campaign of 1914

by Peter Hart.

Highly enjoyable.
                    I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• A Storm of Swords.

Heavy book.

Comment

• Hi

Just got these to review through the post/courier
                        Attached Files
                        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

• Burning the Reichstag: An Investigation into the Third Reich's Enduring Mystery by Benjamin Carter Hett.

The mystery is, was it just the (mentally and physically) afflicted young communist Dutchman Marinus van der Lubbe found half naked at the scene with his burned and discarded jacket a few rooms away, or did Hitler plot the burning of the Reichstag so he could pass the emergency Reichstag Fire Decree that abrogated civil rights in Germany? If so, what was van der Lubbe doing there and why did he maintain till he was guillotined that it was all his idea?

I've also sent for "The Reichstag Fire" by Fritz Tobias.

The first book by Hett is said to favor the Hitler-done-it hypothesis, but so far I am finding it very fair about reporting evidence. Of course like all special topic histories, it covers a lot of history of the time, and the perspective of these books is often usefully slanted to see things a general history does not cover.

The Fritz Tobias work should be quite interesting. Directly after the fire on Feb. 27, 1933 (Hitler became Chancellor on Jan. 30, 1933) it was common for people to say Hitler had the fire set, and that never changed --- after the war it became highly taboo to say anything else, including by historians.

But in 1963 Fritz Tobias wrote a book claiming that it was obvious it was just this crazy young Dutchman acting alone (he used naptha firelighters); Hitler simply capitalized on the crisis creatively. A howl was set up against him at first, but then prominent historians took his side (AJP Taylor writes the introduction to his book) and now it is conventional wisdom. I am particularly interested in this issue with regard to how "history" sometimes opposes truth. That history sometimes won't say what really happened, which for me is the irreducible standard for history.

The idea of either creating or using such a crisis to achieve a difficult political goal is still called a Reichstag Fire and that was what was said about Pres. George Bush by opponents of his Iraq War, that Bush had used 9/11 as his "Reichstag Fire."

Probably fair enough.

Comment

• `
                            Prelude to World Power: American Diplomatic History, 1860-1900 by Foster Rhea Dulles

http://www.amazon.com/Prelude-World-.../dp/0020317808
                            " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

• 40 Miles A Day On Beans and Hay: The Enlisted Soldier Fighting the Indian Wars by Don Rickey Jr.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• la recherche du temps perdu

Marcel Proust's la recherche du temps perdu

It makes me feel like a real French badass for reading this grand classic at all
                                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X