Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total War From Stalingrad to Berlin by Michael Jones.

I thought it was a fairly reasonable/good book until I read Lisa's Smile - the chapter on the Red Army's liberation of Auschwitz. The memories, words and emotions of the soldiers who liberated the camp are something else, not the kind of thing easily forgotten.
    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
    G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
    Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

• Napoleon: A Life. by Andrew Roberts. Not bad.
      I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• A God In Ruins-Leon Uris, Thirteen Moons-Charles Frazier(Callie is making me read it.), and A Place Called Freedom-Ken Follett
        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Operation Mayhem.

How 26 British Pathfinders from the Para Regiment - and one Royal Marine Officer - stopped 2,000 RUF rebels from capturing a village in Sierra Leone.

Good leadership, good training, good discipline, a can-do attitude, good relations with the locals and good tactics seem to have done the trick.

A page turner. My only neg critiques are that a couple of times the author uses awkward segways to introduce something new in the story, and the book cover has soldiers with M-16s type rifles, while the Pathfinders used SA 80s. Nevertheless a good read.
          Last edited by Capt AFB; 05 Dec 14, 18:57.

Comment

• The Deluge: The Great War and the Remaking of Global Order 1916-1931 by Adam Tooze.

Comment

• "Austerlitz 1805" by Jiř Kovařk.

Comment

• I'm back to Captain Aubry....

Comment

• Originally posted by ktnbs View Post
                  Napoleon: A Life. by Andrew Roberts. Not bad.
                  I've seen that reviewed everywhere lately.

I'm reading Stanley Loomis' "Paris in the Terror." Loomis was an extremely good popular writer of history during the '50s, mostly on France, who could make the events of the time seem as suspenseful as though we had no idea how they would turn out.

He shows us the Terror through the eyes and actions of specific persons, so far as I have gotten, two women (Charlotte Corday who killed Marat, and Mme. Roland) and one man (Danton). When one gets guillotined he trades off to another protagonist. It's fabulous writing with tremendous explanatory power for me; I am taking more notes than usual. Loomis died at 55 and was much regretted by American readers of history at the time; I can see why now that I'm reading everything he had time to write.

Comment

• Started WEB Griffin's "Empire and Honor"

It's probably my last read with this author. I enjoyed his Brotherhood of War and The Corps series...But somehow I m not really connecting with his last series (Men at War, Honor Bound etc)

Comment

• Victory Fever on Guadalcanal by William Bartsch.

Bartsch has written some great books on the opening days of the Pacific War and this one is up to his usual standards. He looks closely at the Japanese sidetoo, using Japanese sources often overlooked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                        The Deluge: The Great War and the Remaking of Global Order 1916-1931 by Adam Tooze.
                        That sounds very interesting to me. I think I'll take a look at it.

On edit --- I bought it! To read directly, or I'd have gotten a sample. It's about the end of WWI and the Interwar Interval pre-Nazi takeover. I'm getting very interested in the Interwar Interval. Reviews are good, and it's a new book out last month.
                        Last edited by Phebe; 09 Dec 14, 11:29.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phebe View Post
                          That sounds very interesting to me. I think I'll take a look at it.

On edit --- I bought it! To read directly, or I'd have gotten a sample. It's about the end of WWI and the Interwar Interval pre-Nazi takeover. I'm getting very interested in the Interwar Interval. Reviews are good, and it's a new book out last month.
                          You made a good decision.

Ibis has posted a youtube video of Prof. Tooze lecturing at Stanford this past May in the WWI forum. He has a whole series of them and all are worth watching.

Comment

• Sahib: The British Soldier in India 1750-1914 by Richard Holmes.
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Just finished David Carpenter's 'The Struggle for Mastery, Britain 1066 - 1284'

Now knee deep into Margeret McMillan's 'Paris 1919'.
                              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• The most recent in the Trackstory series of books on French armour of 1940: an updated history of the AMD 35 Panhard 178 armoured car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X