This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hay

An Yanky book ..... The Infamous Boston Massacre? Never heard of it up here in Canada.
    It's what one knows inside that makes him afraid.

Comment

• "Six Days of War" by Michael B Oren.

Recounts the events that led up to the June 1967 War and how it has been the main influence on events in the Middle-East since.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist
        "Six Days of War" by Michael B Oren.

Recounts the events that led up to the June 1967 War and how it has been the main influence on events in the Middle-East since.
        I've been meaning to pick that up. I already have Chaim Harzog's The Arab-Israeli Wars on my stack of books to be read.

I am currently 2/3 of the way through The Crossing of the Suez, but have got caught up in reading Hackworth's Steel My Soldiers' Hearts.

Hopefully someday I will manage to read all of my books.
        Last edited by vyshka; 03 Jan 06, 23:05.
        "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• I just finished Hackworth's Steel My Soldiers' Hearts tonight. It was a very good read. It is an interesting account of his time commanding the 4/39 Inf Bn in the Mekong Delta from Jan '69 - May '69. He transformed them from the worst Bn in the 9th Inf Div to the best in a span of a couple of months. Hackworth had to give up his command of the 4/39th because he was wounded again and put in for his 8th Purple Heart. Not long after that the 4/39th was one of the first units rotated back to the states.

Now I am back to reading The Crossing of the Suez.
          "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• I'm currently reading Fighter Boys: The Battle of Britain, 1940 by Patrick Bishop.

(from the Amazon book description)

The summer of 1940 was supposed to be the beginning of the end of Britain. Europe had fallen to Hitler's storm troops with terrifying speed, and once the Royal Air Force was destroyed, Britain was next. But that was precisely where the Nazis stumbled. For 123 days, while Herman Goering sent wave after wave of Luftwaffe fighters to rain down fire on Britain, three thousand young RAF airmen fought back with a ferocity and agility that stunned the world. Now in this riveting book, military historian and journalist Patrick Bishop presents the first account of this critical campaign told from the perspective of the pilots themselves.

Drawing on interviews with scores of surviving pilots as well as diaries and letters never seen before, Bishop re-creates with astonishing intimacy and clarity this excruciating, exhilarating war of nerves. In their own words, the pilots describe what it felt like when an engine exploded, a parachute failed to open, a swarm of Messerschmitts surrounded their plane, a bomb fell on their home village, a comrade's plane "went in" (their bland term for a high speed crash into the ground). Had the RAF failed, a successful German invasion would have been inevitable-and the pilots knew it. Under unimaginable pressure, these nineteen- and twenty-year-old heroes brought down the world's most powerful air force and saved their nation-and the free world.
            Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated... again...

Comment

• Bomber by Len Dieghton.
              Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

• Wings of War

While on leave in London, just bought: 'Wings of War, Airborne Warfare 1918 - 1945', by Peter Harclerode. It covers the history of airborne warfare and ABF in this period in a narrative and compulsive way and is very international oriented: not just UK and US, but also Italian, Japanese and Soviet airobrne campaigns, battles and smaal unit operations. A must have for the afficionado.
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• The Perfect Heresy (about the Cathars in Languedoc)
                  The Book of Mormon
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell. It is the second book in a trilogy. It's historical fiction but gives you a good feel for the battles in the book and the life of knights and archers. The book begins just after the Battle of Crecy, which is described well in the first book, and follows a priest's bastard. The series is about his quest for the Holy Grail. The main character spent the first book becoming a battle hardened veteran archer during four years campaigning in France. In this book he returns to England and continues his quest. The book begins with the Battle of Neville’s Cross. It's described very well and is also entertaining.

Picture Sharpe as an English archer in the 100 Years War.
                    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Just starting

The Red Horse: A Novel by Corti, Eugenio

Amazon reader review

"Recently I was sent a copy of Eugenio Corti's novel 'The Red Horse' to read. This looked like a daunting task as the book is over 1,000 pages in length. However I was amazed that the pages just seem to fly by. The novel is set in Italy during the Second World War and tells the story of how the war affected Italy and its people through the eyes of some of the participants. The first hundred pages may seem a little boring but I must tell you that after that the narrative moves along at an exciting pace. The story of the Italian soldiers fighting in Russia was magnificent and I don't think that I could go to far wrong in comparing this section of the book to Guy Sajer's 'The Forgotten Soldier'. The descriptions of the men and fighting were excellent and I found it hard to put the book down.

I know that many historical authors tend to dismiss the Italian fighting soldier of World War Two but when consideration is given to the weapons and equipment used by the Italian Army it is understandable why they are compared in such bad light to the German soldier or the Allies. I must admit that this book opened my eyes to the misery suffered by the Italian soldiers in Russia and it also fired a desire to read more about the Italian Alpine troops and their campaigns during World War Two, especially in Russia. As I mentioned earlier the first hundred pages may seem boring initially but when you get into the book it makes sense why the author went into such detail about the central characters as we follow them and their families through the war and into the final peace.

I cannot help but feel how the author has used his personal experience of serving on the Russian Front to make this such a great story; it is compelling reading. The accounts of the retreat during the Stalingrad battle are magnificent; you can actually picture the frozen wasteland as the soldiers tiredly trudge through the wind swept villages being hounded by the advancing Soviet troops. The accounts of the many rearguard actions are excellent and I really felt for the men who fell during the fighting. Many other reviews have mentioned that this is a powerful and moving novel of World War Two and I must concur with those sentiments. This is a great story and anyone who has an interest in the fighting on the Russian Front will be truly taken by this account.

The book continues on another level with the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943 and the subsequent campaign in Italy. We follow accounts of the Italian partisans, Communists, Royalist and bandits. This again is another interesting level of the story and one, which I had very little knowledge of. I enjoyed this section of the book as much as the account of the Russian Front. The book does not finish with the war's end in 1945 but continues with the surviving characters through the harsh years of peace and political turmoil that Italy found itself in with the conflict between the Catholic Church and the Communist Party.

Overall this book was a delight to read but at times towards the end maybe I felt that the author was trying to convert me to the Catholic Church however it must been read in the context of the times. I would have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone who wants to learn about Italy during the war or anyone who has an interest in the Eastern Front during WWII. This is a great story and one of the best novels I have read in years, well done to the author!"
                      Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

• I in the middle of Down Range:Navy SEAL's in the War on Terrorism by Dick Couch. Pretty good follow up on his last two books, but nothin' too special. He just never really dives into the details, but it's still interesting.

Next:
                        Striking Back:The 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and Israel's Deadly Response by Aaron J. Klein
                        To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
                        -Werner Pluskat

Comment

• I'm reading the best book about post ww2 SAS op's yet. It goes through a mans career of 25 years from the southern Arabian peninsula right up to the gulf war (the first one).

It's called: Eye of the Storm. By: Peter Ratcliffe.

It covers many actions, with the Falklands and gulf being most interesting to me. I fully recommend this book. Easy to read, and quite detailed descriptions of the action and missions in general.
                          "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Racing the Enemy; Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan, Tsuyoshi Hasegawa

Hardcover: 432 pages
                            Publisher: Belknap Press (May 30, 2005)
                            Language: English
                            ISBN: 0674016939

LINK

I am trying to see if I can get a Japanese perspective on the otherwise interminable arguments surrounding the "end-game" in Manchuria.
                            Andy "Weeble" Weaver

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest

Comment

• Bernard Lewis' What Went Wrong? Western Impact and Middle Eastern Response. Mr. Lewis knows his stuff, as they say, and this is a good topic. The book provides an excellent introduction to the long history of Islam meeting Europe.

Comment

• Combat Corpsman
                                Interesting story about a Navy SEAL corpsman in Vietnam....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X