Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm currently reading The First World War by Hew Strachan and the Cold War which is edited by Robert Cowley.

    Jeff

    Originally posted by aysi$
    I have Edward j Stackpoles Chancellorsville in front of me now,I like the way he puts his stories together,i know this guy gets a bit of a rough trot but for me they are fine.

    My wonderful kids gave me for Christmas Goodbye cobber,god bless you by John Hamilton,the story of the light horse at Gallipoli will be tearing through this in a couple of days,just love all Aussie history

    Anyone in Sydney can get this at of all places Big W for 16.95,spotted yesterday at Miranda when i got sucked into the sales

    Mark

    Comment


    • Well Vyshka

      You need a new avatar your scary
      It's what one knows inside that makes him afraid.

      Comment


      • With the Old Breed

        Originally posted by TheBigRedOne
        "With the Old Breed" by EB Sledge.

        Brutal, brutal stuff about the Pacific Theatre. I've been mainly a more modern combat book reader (Vietnam through now), but my first real taste of the WWII Pacific stuff makes everything else seem like childs play. A real eye opener and a top notch read. I'm sure most of you have read it...
        Big Red One or anyone,
        I heard and read good things about Sledge's book: 'With the Old Breed', amongst others in 'Flags of our Fathers', written by a son of one the 'Iwo Jima Flag Raisers' and in John Keegans:'Second World War' .
        Soon I'll be going on leave to London and would like to stock up on my Military History books on the Pacific Theatre. If I can find it, is this a book you would recommend buying?
        BoRG

        You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

        Comment


        • For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. Excellent book set during the Spanish Civil War.
          There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

          Comment


          • Originally posted by captainsennef
            Big Red One or anyone,
            I heard and read good things about Sledge's book: 'With the Old Breed', amongst others in 'Flags of our Fathers', written by a son of one the 'Iwo Jima Flag Raisers' and in John Keegans:'Second World War' .
            Soon I'll be going on leave to London and would like to stock up on my Military History books on the Pacific Theatre. If I can find it, is this a book you would recommend buying?
            If the Pacific Theater is your interest, I think you'll enjoy Sledge's book. I'm currently borrowing it from a guy at work who was in the Marines during the Gulf War. It's a very straight forward desciption of the conditions those men faced against a very determined Japanese foe.

            I'd recommend it highly.

            Another book I'm reading right now is "Biggest Brother" about Major Dick Winters, the CO of E Company 506 PIR in Europe (of the Band of Brother's fame....). The book fills in the gaps from the great mini-series. It actually does show some of the 'creative' editing by the makers of the series. Very good book thus-far (I'm about 1/3 of the way through)

            Comment


            • I am reading "The German way of War" by Robert Citino. Just got it from the Military B.C.

              Comment


              • BoB

                Originally posted by TheBigRedOne
                If the Pacific Theater is your interest, I think you'll enjoy Sledge's book. I'm currently borrowing it from a guy at work who was in the Marines during the Gulf War. It's a very straight forward desciption of the conditions those men faced against a very determined Japanese foe.

                I'd recommend it highly.

                Another book I'm reading right now is "Biggest Brother" about Major Dick Winters, the CO of E Company 506 PIR in Europe (of the Band of Brother's fame....). The book fills in the gaps from the great mini-series. It actually does show some of the 'creative' editing by the makers of the series. Very good book thus-far (I'm about 1/3 of the way through)
                Thank you Big Red One, I appreciate your recommendations. Much better to go by advice from fellow afficianados in this Thread than try to find out what is good and what isn't by paying a lot of money for books not worth the money and effort finding them.
                Like most people I too immensely enjoyed watching Band of Brothers, especially the way Winters, Nixon, Sobel and Guarnere (well pretty much the whole cast) played their roles and how amazingly realistic war was represented by the makers of the series, so certainly will see if I can find 'Biggest Brother' once in London.
                BoRG

                You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

                Comment


                • Quite possibly the best book I have read in a long time.

                  Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang and Jon Halliday
                  There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

                  Comment


                  • Currently Im reading American Spartans. Its a history of the Marine Corps. Very good book. Next on the schedule is The Great Raid. Which is about the rescue of 500 POWs fron Canabatwan in 1945.
                    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

                    Comment


                    • Just finished: Study of Revenge: The First World Trade Center Attack and Saddam Hussein's War Against America by Laurie Mylroie.

                      Now Reading: My FBI : Bringing Down the Mafia, Investigating Bill Clinton, and Fighting the War on Terror by Louis Freeh and The Hunt for Bin Laden: Task Force Dagger by Robin Moore (author of The Green Berets).

                      Next up: Bush vs. the Beltway : How the CIA and the State Department Tried to Stop the War on Terror by Laurie Mylroie and/or The Philippine War, 1899-1902 by Brian McAllister Linn.
                      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                      Comment


                      • Wow that's a fairly Right Wing reading list there Doc!

                        You havn't read anything by Noam Chomsky by any chance?

                        Though

                        The Philippine War, 1899-1902 by Brian McAllister Linn

                        would be one I would find very interesting.

                        Once I'm back to work I will finish off The Shankhill Butchers by Martin Dillon.

                        It's about a British murder gang operating in Belfast in the 1970's - bed time reading it ain't!

                        Next up is

                        Memoirs of the Revolutionary War by Ernesto Che Guevera.

                        Then The Case of Comrade Tulayev by Victor Serge.

                        that's the plan anyway!
                        http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

                        Comment


                        • At War At Sea - Ronald H. Spector

                          Comment


                          • German Way of War/Genius for War

                            Originally posted by doomonyou
                            I am reading "The German way of War" by Robert Citino. Just got it from the Military B.C.
                            doomonyou: can you recommend the book: ' The German Way of War'? I'm interested in books which explain the German military performance. In this regard I came across ' A genius for War' written by Dupuy, who is very impressed by the German military Staff, through which the Prussians since 1815 and after German unification under Prussian leadership in 1870 the Germans managed to institute military excellence. I found dupuy's book a mixed bag and would like to have a look at this subject from a different angle. Of course any book suggestions on the same subject are welcome.
                            BoRG

                            You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

                            Comment


                            • Reading David Glantz's Forgotten Battles (From the eastern front in WWII). He has done an impressive effort finding bits in senior commander memoirs and small unit histories (divisions and corps) combined with situation maps from German unit records to identify operations that have not been developed in Soviet or German literature.
                              Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 02 Jan 06, 11:26.
                              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

                              Comment


                              • I just started reading "Armageddon" by Max Hastings, has anyone else read this book? It looks interesting, Im on chapter two "the Bridges to Arnham".

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X